Why is the Hasegawa Macross Zero F-14

stram8777

I have been looking for one of these kits for quite sometime. Why is it so rare? It seems that I completely missed the release of the kit and missed out on it. Same thing for the Mig-29. I haven't even seen them on Ebay. I have taken this to heart and already got my Vf-0 and Sv-51. Need to start them soon.

Thanks

Not sure. Probably because these kits weren't selling all that well at that point so retailers aren't ordering as many as they used to, thus Hasegawara made a smaller production run.

I got mine when they came out but I could never get the Max + Millia set of Hasegawa kits, although I did manage to find the Virgin Road kit.

I guess that is as good a reason as any. I just wish I hadn't missed out on this one. I have no idea how I did I usually try to stay on top of the new macross model releases. Oh well Maybe I will luck out and find the f-14 and the Mig-29 together somewhere.

The Mac Zero F-14 and Mig-29 were limited releases. They're hard to find now because they aren't being made any more. But you could substitute another F-14 or Mig-29 kit and get someone to print the decals for you. (Not a bad option, considering that there are much better kits out there...)

I wouldn't be too disappointed, the F-14 kit really sucked. I'd buy a really nice F14 kit and then contact HLJ and get the decal sheet from the kit. It'll cost ya about $12 dollars.

Or you could just buy one from the Monkey.

Edited by Grayson72

David Hingtgen,

One on hand, it would be cool to have the F-14 kit from a collector's point of view, but I would rather take the decals out and use them on an accurate F-14 kit.

So the question becomes, which 1/72 F-14 kit do you recommend as being accurate to the anime?

The same applies to the Mig-29. Is it accurate, or do I also need to obtain a better representation? If so, what is your recommendation?

If anyone else has any advice, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

I had once talked to Anasazi about making a run of Macross Zero markings for us, which would save us all the trouble of buying this crappy old kit just for the decals. If I can ever get enough interest behind it, we could ALL have our M: Zero F14s and Migs. :D

The most accurate would be a Fujimi F-14D (but don't follow the instructions). I'm planning on a guide here to show exactly what needs to be done. But it'll be a little while.

The short "accurate enough for most people, and probably easier" would be to build a Hasegawa F-14B, and removed the forward "armpit" ECM antennas.

Shin's is actually based on the F-14B Prototype, which is unique among Tomcats. It is SIMILAR to the F-14B and D, but distinctly different. Fujimi actually made a perfectly accurate model of that, then used that kit as their base for their F-14D kits. However, that lead to quite inaccurate F-14D's. But it's perfect for Shin's.

As for the MiG-29: I honestly don't know. Need better pics of it to see what it is. There is no *really good* MiG-29 in 1/72, btw.

I had once talked to Anasazi about making a run of Macross Zero markings for us, which would save us all the trouble of buying this crappy old kit just for the decals. If I can ever get enough interest behind it, we could ALL have our M: Zero F14s and Migs. :D

Not sure why you'd do that since you can just order the whole original decal only sheet from HLJ.

What decals are available? Fir the Mig or the Tomcat? I would very much wanna be a part of a decal print run. I am starting to think of the cost of these kits combined with accuracy compared to the cost of what I can get that is more accurate. Only thing i would need would be the decals so if you would bsu legato keep me posted about this project. I would for sure want a set of each.

thanks

Not sure why you'd do that since you can just order the whole original decal only sheet from HLJ.

Yeah, but I was just talking about the Macross specific decals, like the UN symbol, "USS Illustria" and Shin's tail artwork, along with the Anti-UN markings for the Mig. The Hasegawa sheet is otherwise pretty rudimentary from what I've seen, and if we're all buying the better kits they'll come with all the stencils and such. Plus this way we get to patronize one of our Macross World vendors. Plus, what if you want to do Shin's F14 in 1/48 scale?

Like I said, it was just an idea that seems to be going nowhere.

Edited by bsu legato

Here's what I was talking about. My suggestion is to just print up the circled areas, since all the stencils would be duplicates of whatever the "good" kit comes with anyhow. I didn't grab a picture of the MIG 29's decals, but it would be the same idea. Then we'd have them printed on a single sheet, in whatever scale we want. Personally, I'd love the idea of a nice 1/48 Tomcat in UN Spacy markings.

post-3-1086885854_thumb.jpg

Holy sh*t. The serial number's 161621. I know that plane! It's possibly the most well-known serial number in all of F-14-dom. It's VF-111's 2nd-to-last CAG bird, aka Miss Molly. It's ALSO VF-154's final CAG bird, AND the VF-154 50th Anniversary plane. Ironically, that serial's perfect for that model. But it sure doesn't match the CG model used in the show.

Here it is in the final (I think) scheme:

Edited by David Hingtgen

I believe there's more Hase F-14 kits with that serial than any other, especially considering how many Pacific Fleet squadron and Black Knights releases they do. Probably just the most common serial that Hase's decal makers do.