Aircraft VS super thread!

Going to have to look it up. I know one does, and one doesn't.

::looks::

Ok it seems (according to WAPJ), early ADV's didn't have auto-sweep, but later ones did, and early ones are were retrofitted. Checking more, they specifically mean F2 vs F3. Upgraded F2's are F2a's, but are now out of service (since they never got the engine upgrade--it's possible they simply couldn't). So all F3's were built with auto-sweep, with F2's being retrofitted.

Edited by David Hingtgen

david and lynx, thanks guys. Thanks hikaru for the PM as well.

OK. New topic.

F-20 vs GRipen

Similar size, highly manueverable, same engine? This battle is for A2A role. Gripen can get into the air with shorter runway to my knowledge.

VIggen vs MIrage2000

Deltas. One has canards, the other does not.

European delta canard super match

Eurofighter VS Rafale VS Gripen

A2A and strike.

& for kicks. Mirage 2000 vs Rafale.

BTW did anyone ever figure out why the eurofighter will not retain its gun in some services? It's a shame really. It is a GREAT knifefighter.

also for kicks. YF-17 vs F/A-18F. knife fight. Cobra vs the drag whore.

This is much better :)

F-20 vs GRipen

Similar size, highly manueverable, same engine? This battle is for A2A role. Gripen can get into the air with shorter runway to my knowledge.

hmmm....current version of the Gripen is JAS39C vs the F-20A.

This one is hard. Gripen is one of the most integrated fighters around and Sweden has tons of experience in fighter datalink.

For BVR combat both would carry a similar load of missiles. But Gripen got Slammers compared with the Sparrows Tigershark tested with. You be the judge :lol:

In a knifefight the current Gripen is a bit underpowered but does have the benefit of Iris-T. Tigershark should be cheaper to purchase and operate. Frankly i love them both. :unsure:

VIggen vs MIrage2000

Deltas. One has canards, the other does not.

Viggen is my pick amount the 2. It has STOL capability plus datalink plus Slammers. Its definitely better than an early model Mirage but still a bit short handed vs 2000-5 upgraded planes.

The Viggen is a bit short legged compared with the 2000 though and always flies with a centerline drop-tank. With Mica, uprated engine and avionics the 2000 is a bit too much for the Viggen.

European delta canard super match

Eurofighter VS Rafale VS Gripen

A2A and strike.

& for kicks. Mirage 2000 vs Rafale.

Among this trio the Gripen would be at the lower end of the spectrum in both A2A and strike with the EF2000 being the more powerful A2A fighter the Rafale optimised for the air-to-ground and multi-role.

Rafale vs Mirage 2000 ? Depends which pilots sneezes first ;)

I'll pick up on the F-20 vs Gripen after I re-read my main Gripen info. (Too late tonight, gotta go to bed, already up later than I planned) Gripen's great and as modern as it gets, but the F-20 is just so darn lightweight and agile, and has its 30 sec start-up. Might want to add in the X-29 too, another plane with a single F404.

I've got to read up more on the Rafale too, since AC5 has the RM01 and RB01. I honestly hadn't heard of a "RB01" until I saw it on the AC site!

Just looked it up: RB01 is the designation for the 2-seat non-naval Rafale PROTOTYPE. AC has always mixed up "specific aircraft designation" with "model type" for the Rafale family. It's like if they said "F-14 AB204". Well, that's a specific plane in a squadron, not a type. Same for "RB01".

Quick Rafale list:

Rafale C: Standard Rafale.

Rafale B: 2-seat Rafale.

Rafale M: Naval Rafale

Rafale N: 2-seat Naval Rafale

Yes, B and C are 'backwards' for their names. And I don't know why AC says "80% parts commonality" for the B and M, I figure it'd be like 95%---they look about as similar as a US Naval and a Canadian land-based Hornet.

F-35C capabilities are still a bit vague at this stage but i guess in a knightfight it should be nothing too special.

Full MiG-29SMT upgrade includes upgraded but not new radar, MIG-29M parts, more powerful engines and 2 extra weapon pylons. Cockpit displays also updated. Extra thrust balanced out by increased in weight.

Could go either way.

ooo. Which parts on the MIG-29M?

----------------------------------------

From what i gather the full MiG-29SMT upgrade package will have:

-RD-43 engines, 3D thrust vectoring.

-Air intakes likes those of the 29M with anti-FOD grills.

-The tail sting with a single airbrake of the 29M

-A new radar from the zhuk series with the MiG-29M nose.

-

hmm...becoming a bit of a Q & A exercise here :p

F-20 vs MIG-29SMT

Fully upgraded Fulcrum wins, simply better agility, R-77, TVC.

Of course with upgraded F-20 its a different story. ;)

F-4 2000 KURnass vs Kfir/mirage 2000

Depends which version of Kfir/Mirage 2000, but upclose both will owned the Phantom.

BTW is storm shadow the missle used by the rafale in AC4?(pod with wings that fires and spreads cluster bomblets)

Its the Scalp EG standoff weapon.

Both are based on the Apache launch vehicle. But i suspect when Namco made AC4 they were using Matra Apache as the weapon potrayed.

Probably wouldn't hear about it, because its a sad truth that the west doesn't care too much about these states. Rwanda anyone?

... this is one of those african civil wars that just breaks people's hearts.... during the 1990s these two countries were slaughtering each other and were in the grips of massive famine. And then they spend hundreds of millions on modern fighters instead of their own people... just terrible.

Although, I must admit, the attraction of the bush league pilot is there... you as one pilot are an airforce of one.

.... still though... with such suffering going on...

Edited by Noyhauser

Noyhauser is right on the west's(and practically the rest of the world) neglect on those poor african states because of a lack of interest there.

The war particularly the air battle between Ethiopian and Erithian planes does actually get some limited coverage in certain publication like Air International and maybe Air Forces.

You certainly won't hear anything from the likes of CNN or BBC. ;)

:( Well it's been a while since I posted, I just moved to Virginia :( Well the other day I went to Oceana and I saw that they were dismantled Jolly Roger tomcats in the hanger bay. Apparently they converted over to hornets. What a bummer

Who knew the Su-27 had engaged the MiG-29 in combat (and won, big time)?

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_189.shtml

For that matter, that entire war went unreported, I don't recall ever hearing about it.

Oh yeah I heard about that right before it happened, well heard about the aircraft purchases, my friends and I called it the ultimate fly off between the Mig-29 and the Su-27. I just wish there was more information on the actual engagement, gun camera footage would be so sweet.

sigh....if only the Luftwaffe had sign up for them. Superior to their MiG-29A 10 years later.

Mmmm, Mig-29 and F-20 tigershark fighting side by side, man that would be sweet. of course it also makes you wonder about the prototype that "disappeared." Look it up, one of the F-20 prototypes is currently unaccounted for, no one knows what happened to it, been a mystery at Northrop for years.

I was never fond of the F-100, and even the superior-in-every-way-possible F-8 didn't have an easy time with MiG-21's. I vote MiG-21. Also, the AIM-9B sucks. AIM-9D is MUCH better, but is Navy-only.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I am not exactly sure but can't the F-100 carry the improved AIM-9E/J models.

It is interesting to note that the F-100D was ordered as a fighter-bomber with little effort to make it an effective air superiority fighter. With so much weight gain and little improvement in thrust the Hun quickly lost it agility and was sluggish compared with other USAF fighters of the day.

Well the other day I went to Oceana and I saw that they were dismantled Jolly Roger tomcats in the hanger bay. Apparently they converted over to hornets. What a bummer

errr, no? They should still be out to sea on the kennedy for the time being, unless there's something I missed? Gotta be older planes or something.

Edited by Skull Leader