Anime Central

According to the Anime News Network, ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment have acquired the following titles:

ADV Films

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman

Peace Maker Kurogane

Geneon Entertainment

Burn Up Scramble

Cybuster

Lunar Legend Tsukihime

Saiyuki RELOAD

Apparently, ADV will release all 105 episodes of the original Gatchaman series - uncut and subtitled in English, which means you can get rid of your Battle of the Planets DVDs and go for ADV's upcoming release.

Cybuster?!?!?!?! are you serious that POS. I mean the only reason it had viewers before was because people were like hey cybuster kicked ass in SRW but then they saw the show and discovered the show was NOTHING like Lord of elemental.

Here in NA we don't even have SRW so what the hell arethey thinking!!!

But besides that crap pile we get fummoffu? thats cool.

But besides that crap pile we get fummoffu? thats cool.

Are you saying that Gatchaman is crap?

More news from the Anime News Network:

Studio representatives: David Williams, Matt Greenfield

Three new licenses for ADV films were announced. In addition to Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, and Peacemaker Kurogane (as “Peacemaker”), ADV will be releasing uncut the classic series Gatchaman. An edited version of Gatchaman ran on American television in the 1980’s as G-Force and Battle of the Planets. Episodes of G-Force and Gatchaman will also be airing on the Anime Network later in the year; the Gatchaman DVDs will be bilingual.

A promotional film ADV prepared for retailers gave the following figures related to ADV properties and the North American Japanese popular culture market in general. In terms of number of titles it releases, ADV is the fourth largest home video distributor in North America (after MGM, Warner, and Sony). The total market size (not just ADV) is currently $4.2 billion, of which $500 million is home video sales. The current circulation of Newtype USA is over 100,000, and the Anime Network currently has over ten million subscribers. 18 volumes of manga were released in 2003, and over 250 are scheduled to be released throughout 2004.

As recently announced, The Anime Network will be coming out in a linear broadcast form on though Insight shortly. There are also deals with other unspecified providers in the works, Greenfield commented that the “When is The Anime Network coming to ...” question will be solved with these deals.

Approximate release dates for several ADV anime properties were announced. The first volume of Peacemaker will be released sometime in the fall, Get Backers in late summer, and the Excel Saga Imperfect Collection box set in July. Production on the Fist of the North Star TV series is nearing completion and a release date will be announced shortly.

The Mutineer’s Moon anime TV series will run for 26 episodes and will be broadcast in Japan and the USA. ADV will soon be making announcements regarding the key production staff for the series.

The upcoming RahXephon The Movie: Limited Edition release will include the DVD, a booklet and a box. The booklet is the same thick booklet that came out with the Japanese version. ADV is aware of some disappointment with the first RahXephon box, this one will be a sturdy chip board box that will hold the entire TV series and the movie. This is a limited edition release. Although ADV will not be producing a specified quantity of the release (they will produce enough to meet pre-orders), they will not produce anymore after the first run. They are also doing the same with the limited edition Evangelion release with the slip covers.

Currently, no theatrical releases are planned for any feature films ADV holds the rights to, however this may change with future acquisition announcements. Regarding the Neon Genesis Evangelion live-action movie, a rough draft exists and the search for a director is now underway.

ADV Toys will be one of the major growth areas in the company in 2004. Items to be released include plush toys of Menchi (Excel Saga) and Jonathan the Seal (Kaleidostar), and a variety of other products, especially related to Excel Saga and Noir.

As usual, there are a number of projects in development across all of ADV’s product lines that cannot be announced at this time. They are in fact already doing production work on numerous titles that they have not yet announced.

One panel attendee asked ADV why they edited Happy Lesson, to which Williams and Greenfield both responded “It wasn’t edited.” They explained that ADV released exactly what they received from Japan and that their release was identical to the Japanese TV broadcast. They did suggest that it was possible that the Japanese DVD release may have had changes made to it by the Japanese producers, this would explain any differences between the Japanese DVD release and ADV’s DVD release. This has already been the case several times with other studios.

Regarding episode count per DVD, ADV has no set policy. The episode count is decided on an individual basis with numerous factors contributing to the decision. For example the Evangelion Platinum Edition was originally planned to be 6 DVDs, however it would not fit on 6 DVDs without down-sampling the bit-rate, something ADV felt would be inappropriate for a “Platinum Edition.”

When asked about a possible DVD release of Scrapped Princess, they would not comment.

Bubblegum Crisis 2041 is in “development hell.” Work is being done on re-assembling the staff from BGC 2040, however they are currently divided between other projects.

When asked about any future giant robot shows, ADV would not comment on any specifics but stated that they will be making announcements in the near future that will cause fans to “lose control of their bowels over.”

They are also working on licensing more soundtracks but they are waiting for one big contract to be resolved, following which they will be able to announce numerous soundtracks.

ADV expects to license more older titles. Greenfield explained that The Anime Network was conceived of as a way to establish market interest in titles that did not already have an established market.

This repost has been verified for accuracy by David Williams

Cool! Gatchaman! Been waiting a long time for this one. Hopefully it will be able to erase the images of the old Battle of the Planets from my mind. Sandy Frank was an idiot.

Long time coming!!! Now to ditch 3 of those Battle of the Planets DVD's!!!

Sweet!!! Gatchaman!!! Finally. I've been watching to see it subbed and unaltered for the longest time. Will it be remastered though or has it already been released in japan on dvd remastered?

Edited by Effect

What's wrong with Fumoffu?

I personally don't like it all that much as it practically destroys the comic/mecha balance that existed so skillfully in the original series. What the second series basically is, is a full on goofy high school adventure as opposed to a pseudo-serious mecha title with lashings of humour.

I think that fans of the first series might get put off from the first volume of Fumoffu? in relation to the first series. Still fans of goofy comedies and nothing but should jump right in! :lol:

Yay, Fumoffu!! :)

I actually prefer Fumoffu because it's much closer to the manga than the first series. And who needs mecha when you have Bonta-kun?

Actually, there are 2 manga lines. One featured in weekly Shounen Jump which was Fummofu and the other one which was what the original TV series was based on.

I absolutely hated the 1st season undertaken by GONZO. GONZO being GONZO takes a relatively good storyline and background, adds in 3d effects and stuff and cheeses the whole story off and ends it all with more cheese. Crap bad ending for FMP. :angry:

FMP:F was out of GONZO's hands....and I absolutely loved it, despite no mecha and being silly. :)

What's wrong with Fumoffu?

I personally don't like it all that much as it practically destroys the comic/mecha balance that existed so skillfully in the original series. What the second series basically is, is a full on goofy high school adventure as opposed to a pseudo-serious mecha title with lashings of humour.

I'd agree.

Sure it had many very funny moments, but it just went to far towards the ridiculous, which meant it also ended up with a lot of extremely not-funny moments.

It forgot that it could be funny on the strength of its characters and just got stupid. It mostly ignored the other characters from FMP, grossly under using Tessa, Mao and Kurtz, and didn't even bother with any semblance of character development and devolved Souske into being a borderline moron at times.

Loving the fact that Tsukihime got licensed. My vcd copies died on me....

Still... I'd love to see someone distribute the games. Anyone know where I can get them?

Loving the fact that Tsukihime got licensed. My vcd copies died on me....

Still... I'd love to see someone distribute the games. Anyone know where I can get them?

http://www.animetoshokan.org/

They had it....not sure if its there now. They released other doujin games as well. Now awaiting Melty Blood:RE Act

Apparently, ADV will release all 105 episodes of the original Gatchaman series - uncut and subtitled in English, which means you can get rid of your Battle of the Planets DVDs and go for ADV's upcoming release.

As happy as this news makes me I have reservations of course and am left mostly with questions. Will they be remastered? Will they be sold as sets or individual DVDs with certain number of episodes per discs? Will selling well lead to future releases of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter? Also by bilingual, does that mean the release will be like Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors since much of BOTP and G-Force was edited and dialogue not translated...?

Edited by Jemstone

Wow. I really did not like what I saw of Full Metal Panic, but Fumoffu looks like it could be fun.

I watched like 5-10 episodes of FMP and didn't even realize it was supposed to be comedy.

Not part of Anime Central news, but here's an update on acquisitions from Media Blasters (Source: Anime News Network):

Media Blasters announced today their anime and manga releases for September 2004. Included in the releases are two titles previously not know to have been licensed. URDA: Third Reich and Early Reins.

All five episodes of Urda will be released on September 14th, while Early Reins will be released on September 28th.

Also coming out in September are:

Sentimental Journey (1-12 Sub Only)

Elufina - Servent Princess (adult - title pending)

Kamunagara: Rebirth of the Demonslayer - Book 1 (manga)

NaNa 7 of 7 - A Test of Love (Vol.2 Eps 6-10)

Knight Hunters - Troubled Souls (Vol.2 Eps 6-9)

Kite Special Edition (Completely Uncut)

Sex Taxi (Vol 1 of 2) (adult)

Fans of Takashi Miike will also be happy to hear that Media Blaster has licensed Deadly Outlaw - Rekka and will release it in September as well.

Looks like I'll be saving some money for a change. Except for Gatchaman none of these of titles interests me. Well maybe Sex Taxi from Media Blasters lol :ph34r:

FMP I thought was just ok and if the sequel is more high school "comedy" BS I'll pass.