Building my Hasegawa VF-1J

GunnerX

I'm drooling over your 1J...  I must say, excellent work.  I have the 1J kit but I'm afraid to even start it until I get a few more kits under my belt.  I really enjoy these build-ups.  I'm a beginning modeller and these are VERY helpful.  I really appreciate the time you and, especially WM, take to document your work.  PLEASE, keep 'em coming!

Anyway, the original TV version valks have always been my favorites.  I have noticed one thing, however.  Isn't that a DYRL style pilot in your TV style valk?  I guess there isn't really a TV style pilot figure available for these kits.  Pisses me off...

Hehe! :p Yup! That's a DYRL pilot in there! i was thinking of the same thing after painting the model... ! Wierd, but no choice :lol:

Thanks for your comments! It's actually my first Hasegawa kit too! hope we can see your build up soon?

Cheers!

I like your model a lot!! The color is just like my Hase battroid. I Think that white is too much contrast for the red accents.

I'm affraid that the difference between TV and DYRL versions are not only the pilot (nose, cockpit, etc.)... but I can live with that and as someone told me when constructing my battroid you can always say that it is VF-1J from the firsts blocks retofitted with block 5 parts and so piloted by pilots wearing the new flight suits...I love sci-fi modeling!!! Everything could be explained with just a little of imagination.

... disaster strikes! :ph34r: after removing the wash, i decided to go ahead and do the decals for the canopy! But when i pulled off the tape, the canopy came off too! (must try another canopy glue next time... :( )

Well, i decided to go ahead and do the canopy decals anyway, but i really screwed up big time.... the decal didn't seem to fit the shape, and i shifted it around too much until it sort of desintegrated! :p (i guess the decals are REALLY soft!)

Any tips anyone for decaling the canopy? :( Hopefully if i do another VF-1 valk i'll succeed at the canopy the next round!

Edited by GunnerX

Good save!!

I found the canopy decals to be an excellent fit though :unsure: Sometimes the MicroSET/SOL has a tendency to allow you to stretch the decal out of shape and its is what dessolves the decal. I used a lot of water, and no MicroSET or MicroSOL - without these chemicals, you can play with a decal for hours without anything happening to them - you might loose the glue in the process though :lol: . Don't use this stuff unless you have too - the Hasegawa decals are really excellent quality and normally don't require any of this stuff. There are no details to telegraph through on the canopy anyways - its just flat.

Yes, I find using the canopy to be easier than trying to mask a cockput that has already been detailed and painted with the pilot in. I am always afraid the tape will pull something out of the cockpit. Hey LTSO, if you can show me a good way of masking the cockpit - then I would love to learn, since it is preferable to leave the canopy till the very end. :p

Edited by wm cheng

I always find it helpful to cut the canopy decal down into easier sections to apply. The decal comes as two halves. I always cut those in two and then apply. This makes it much easier to handle and gives you adjustability to get a perfect fit. I will do this for any decal that may cause problems.

Hey LTSO, if you can show me a good way of masking the cockpit - then I would love to learn, since it is preferable to leave the canopy till the very end. :p

Dude, I can't believe you're asking ME a modeling question. I just use some blue-tac and some masking tape. Not great, but if you seal the cockpit details with future, etc, I haven't pulled any paint off. Honestly, you should keep doing what you're doing ... because the results speak for themselves! LoL.

I usually find it easiest to mask the canopy and place it to protect the cockpit. A drop or two of the masking solution works OK for this. I've had to mask canopies though, and usually just go with a built-up area of masking tape, paper towell and/or cotton balls. It's a bigger pain in the butt, but if you're doing something like a biplane with an open cockpit, you're SOL...

Hi all!

LTSO : Ummm.. there's less a chance that the interior of the cockpit will get accidentely sprayed on? I guess it's easier since it fits well and covers the whole cockpit! :)

WMCHENG : I think i used too much set again! The decal bent all outta shape and stretched!

Kurt : Hi! You mean you cut the halves in half again? Hmmm.. will try that!

great! looks rugged!

oh is that a hikaru in dyrl suit?

Aieee! As gerwalker said:

".... you can always say that it is VF-1J from the firsts blocks retofitted with block 5 parts and so piloted by pilots wearing the new flight suits...I love sci-fi modeling!!! Everything could be explained with just a little of imagination"

;)

Yup! DYRL suit! Why didn't they give a TV style helmet/flightsuit?

Heheh... may in the future Hasegawa will release a 1/48 VF-1 series!!!!! OooO! :D

Thanks Toonz!

Awesome work GunnerX!

Im crossing my fingers and hope mine turns out as well as yours. Cant able to have any head start as im kinda of busy with work, usually tired and exhausted at the end of the day. where did you get the energy to do your models may i ask? Sad to say, i wun be doing any panel shading as i dun really have stable hands as well as i only have post shading skills and knowledge. Did you do a clear coat for the finish product?

Cheers

Awesome work GunnerX!

Im crossing my fingers and hope mine turns out as well as yours. Cant able to have any head start as im kinda of busy with work, usually tired and exhausted at the end of the day. where did you get the energy to do your models may i ask? Sad to say, i wun be doing any panel shading as i dun really have stable hands as well as i only have post shading skills and knowledge. Did you do a clear coat for the finish product?

Cheers

Hi recon! I know what you mean! i start about 9 in the morning and reach home about 7 in the evening only! :p I mostly do it on a weekend, and only certain days on weekdays! Too tiring to do full time! :(

Yup! After the whole thing i sprayed another clear coat on top to seal in everything!

The layers go like this :

base coat -> white paint -> clear coat -> washes -> clear coat -> decal -> clear coat -> washes -> clear coat!

:lol: very tedious you can imagine!