Building my Hasegawa VF-1J

GunnerX

Hi all! Ok, i've been following the board for a LONGGGG... time, but never actually posted, so this is my first!

Anywayz, i saw WM CHENG's hasegawa Valks and man, was i blown away! That REALLY spurred me on to build my VF-1J!

It's coming on quite ok now, probably not up to standard, but it's my 1st try at a Valk kit! Hopefully i can upload the pix soon and have your expert comments!

Thanks a lot for looking! :)

==================================================

Update : 7-10-2003

For those who've just read this, maybe i can help a little more by giving a list

of materials i use for my work!

Badger Model 200 Airbrush - Fine/Medium heads/needles

Badger Compressor - Very old stuff!

The usual range of brushes

Gunze Sangyo Acrylic Paints and Thinner

Tamiya Acrylic paint (metallic grey / sky grey)

Tamiya Enamel Paint and Enamel thinner (X series for washes)

Tamiya Putty

Tamiya Polishing Compound 1000 (Canopy polishing)

Master Modellers Polishing Compound 2000 (Canopy polishing)

MicroSET/SOL - (for decals)

Gunze Mr Cement Deluxe ( Careful! This melts styrene very fast!)

Tamiya thin cement

Testors Canopy glue <- Avoid this, too thick, i think microscale also makes a

canopy glue, might be better.

Tamiya masking tape - various widths

FUTURE FLOOR POLISH! (for that canopy shine!)

Edited by GunnerX

WM CHENG'S canopy polishing tips were invaluable here! Using about 800 sandpaper till the finest at 2000 to

get rid of the line, then using TAMIYA polish (1000 grit) and another type called modeller's polish (2000 grit).

It looked pretty good, but i wanted to see the effect of Future Polish that everyone's been talking about! So i dipped it in the stuff and it looks great!

post-23-1062777876_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome for your first try!! Keep up the good work.

By the way what do you use for the extra details on the side panels of your cockpit, are they photo etched parts from a military aircraft or hand painted details?

cant wait to see the finish product. Im also finishing up on my first valk a 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1S Hikaru Valk. Sorry no pictures to post as i aint got no digicam

Cheers

By the way what do you use for the extra details on the side panels of your cockpit, are they photo etched parts from a military aircraft or hand painted details?

cant wait to see the finish product. Im also finishing up on my first valk a 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1S Hikaru Valk. Sorry no pictures to post as i aint got no digicam

Cheers

Hi! Thanks! Hope it'll turn out ok! :D

I found the side panels sooooooo bare, so i cut up little strips of tamiya pla-plate and

just glued them on!

Hope to see your kit too k?

Cheers! :)

Edited by GunnerX

Cheers

Hi! Thanks! Hope it'll turn out ok! :D

I found the side panels sooooooo bare, so i cut up little strips of tamiya pla-plate and

just glued them on!

Hope to see your kit too k?

Cheers! :)

What are pla plate? Any pictures for reference as i seldom see or heard of stuff like this?

Cheers

Fantastic work GunnerX!!

Great to see all the modellers starting to come out of the woodworks! :lol: The cockpit is lookng great. I also put some photoetched instrumentations on the side panels when I did my first cockpit form left over spare photo-etched parts - but later found out that the actual TV version of the cockpit had olive green smooth arm-rest on the side panels!! :o Wierd eh.

RECON - > It's just pieces of polystyrene strips, you can purchase these plastic sheets at most model shops :)

WM CHENG -> Thank you so much! i'm hoping that more people will do their model kits up because i

don't want it to be a dying art! Especially with all these prebuilt toys out there now :p

TheFrenchOne -> Thanks thefrenchone! lessee... about 4 to 5 hours for the pilot (waiting for paint to dry

and decaling it) and about slightly longer for the cockpit? It do the model only on weekends though! Work cuts into my building time a lot! ;)

Hey gunnerX, good to see that you are still at it again. A tip from me to ya, Mask the foot thrusters, then apply super glue on the seam joint on the legs wait for it to dry before filing it off followed by sanding. Finish off the a diluted putty with thinner, than Mr Surfacer. And there you have it, a seamless leg piece.

Cheers

Thanks recon! :D Gotta... keep... going! :ph34r: Here's a shot of the cockpit area. Admittedly i

had to use a lot of sanding and putty to get the seam for the coclpit halves filled (again they didn't fit very well). I didn't glue the pilot in until later too!

post-23-1063211028_thumb.jpg

Edited by GunnerX

Whew! That's it for tonite! But i wonder, are jet cockpits really THAT cramped? ;)

Fighter cokpits are often really small, that's for sure. Depends on the aircraft itself, though. Older jets especially have small cockpits, especially lightweight fighters and interceptors. IIRC, the F-14's not too bad, though, because it's designed for longer duration flights.

Of course, there's always my favorite, the Su-32. It maintains the performance of the standard Su-27, but adds a two seat, side-by-side, cockpit, with standing room inside, a sleeping area, an oven, and a toilet!!!! And it has all the usual fighter perks, plus some new ones, like a rear radar allowing it to shoot missiles at pursuers!!!

Whew! That's it for tonite! But i wonder, are jet cockpits really THAT cramped?  ;)

Of course, there's always my favorite, the Su-32. It maintains the performance of the standard Su-27, but adds a two seat, side-by-side, cockpit, with standing room inside, a sleeping area, an oven, and a toilet!!!! And it has all the usual fighter perks, plus some new ones, like a rear radar allowing it to shoot missiles at pursuers!!!

No way! :blink: I like the Su-37 myself, with those crazy vectoring nozzles! I saw it do a full 360 in a airshow video once! :)