japanese reality show

My friend in Japan told me about this show about 2 years ago. Japan's version of The Truman Show. I can't believe he didn't know the entire country was watching him though, I mean look at the screen grabs, he was playing to the camera...

It must suck to be locked up like that and not getting laid. :(

Hmm, I somehow know about this before... don't remember how, or why, but it's screwed up all right. I'm also reminded of that Simpsons episode where they go to Japan and that gameshow... Didn't think it would be an actual thing though. :blink: Man, this is scary stuff.

When did humiliating people on tv become a favorite Japanese past time.

Is is just a matter of time before we see stuff in the U.S. like the stuff in Japan? I mean the trash they show is is just getting worse and worse...

Edited by Druna Skass

It's Survivor without the competition, backstabbing, and inmunity trials. :lol:

"In July, a live internet feed to Nasubi's room was set up. Because he was nude, they needed a staff of 50 to maintain the site and control the ever-present dot over Nasubi's private parts."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Take THAT Richard Hatch.

Yet.....I would NEVER want to go through what he experienced. Being isolated for so long. <_<

I'd like to see a show where they lock a guy in a room with nothing but a tv and a couch, and force him to watch Macross 7 from beggining to end in one huge session.

thats just asking the guy to rip the couch into shreds, use the spings to gouge his eyes out and hang himself with the couch fabric.... :lol::p

rikiryou Posted on May 6 2004, 11:36 PM

Hmm, I somehow know about this before... don't remember how, or why, but it's screwed up all right. I'm also reminded of that Simpsons episode where they go to Japan and that gameshow... 

"In America, you reward knowledge......here in Japan we punish ignorance!"

:lol:

I don't get it....how does the show work?

he doesn't know he is being filmed...ok....

But does he know what he got himself into?

Does he know he's taking part in some sort of "challenge and was promised a reward at the end of it?

Or does he just think its some sort of kidnapping.....

But regardless, leave it to Japan to think of these things.

WTF,, I don't know, it still look kinda fake to me. I mean is some pic he's bending his back/body inorder to fit his face in the Camera and then strike a post. And there's some time gap on the food part. He ate some jelly on Feb 8 for the first time in 2 week,, That 2 week, what the hell was he eating before that?. He didn't win his rice until the Fed 22 so that's another 14 days on jelly? Did they show him jacking off or having a wet dream or something, you know he did win a poster of his favorite female star. :lol::lol:

Edited by F360°

OK, OK, time to clear up some misunderstandings here.

He did know he was being filmed.

He volunteered for the job.

He was damn funny.

He's not really on TV any more.

OK, the show was Dempa Shonen (there was also a Sunday morning spin off call Raihao Shonen) that used to be on Sunday nights around 10:30. They would take struggling young comedians (mostly) and give them a crack at fame (more like notoriety) by doing absurd stuff. The Deal was they would interview, knowing full well that the show was going to do something messed up to their life, but they'd never know what or if they even got the job until the "shockers" from Kamen Rider came for them. Some people had to hitch-hike across continents, others had to diet for money, paddle a swan paddle boat across the Japan coast and a lot of SE Asia, etc.

Nasubi was a particularly good one where he had to win about 10,000 dollars worth of stuff from mail in contests and the like before he could go... then once he finally got it they asked what he wanted most. After saying Yakiniku (Korean BBQ) they flew him to Seoul to have some, then left him there with a dictionary and a new room until he could win enough stuff in Korea to pay for his return ticket.

Good memories.

Oh, one more thing, after the thing is explained to the guys they can turn it down. Few ever do, and of course they can quit anytime, (a few have done that as well)but then of course, all of TV land sees them do it. So most people stick it out. Few have really gone on to be much more than third string talents though, but the chance is always there.

Edited by LePoseur

Awesome!

Thanks for the clarification, LePoseur... the lack of explanation made it seem almost impossible from the web page.

I would watch this show daily. The meaner the reality show... the better. I'm only waiting until we start throwing wanna-be actors into a pit with Siegfried & Roy's pal Monticore the killer tiger.

That's entertainment!