All things Gungrave

While I've seen it mentioned once or twice on these boards, I think it's high time we formally discussed Gungrave. Video Game. Anime hero. Ass kicking necro-risen action figure.

Over the past couple of weekends, my friends and I have been watching a big Gungrave marathon, and I think this show rocks. Right from the intro, with its strangely "Lounge Music" theme and really well done Super-8 lookalike footage (great job on that, Madhouse) this show oozes cool. For those who've been living in a cave with the Taliban, here's the basic premise. After an introductory episode featuring our undead hero killing heaps of "Orcmen" the show proceedes to flash back several decades, to the early days of two young punks named Harry and Brandon. Over the next few years Harry and Brandon join the local mafia, the slightly oddly named "Millenion." Brandon becomes an expert "sweeper" for the mob, while Harry has his eyes set on the top spot. Years pass until a not-so-sudden betrayal sees Brandon killed by his best friend Harry. Now most animes would end here, but Gungrave is just nearing its halfway point.

You see, in the world of Gungrave there exists a technology called Necro Rise. Expecting Harry's inevitable betrayal, Brandon has secretly arranged to have himself Necro Risen, so that he may come back when his "family" in the mob needs him. We flash forward 13 years to finally catch up to the point where the first episode left off and Brandon, now known as Beyond the Grave, wages a one man war agaist what used to be his family while protecting the daughter of the woman he loved.

That's probably simplifying this show far more than I should, but I don't have time to construct a complete but spoiler free guide to this franchise. :D All I can say is find this show NOW! Or, you can wait until Geneon releases it, hopefully later this year.

I'm still waiting for that last episode to be released subbed, grrr.....

The entire anime oozes style, simple as that, although IMHO the animation hits a sort of low somewhere in the middle... the first episode and the last few ones were outstanding though.

I think if one liked Trigun, Gungrave would come across as a very good successor... duh, they're both made by the same production team...

Is the game worth shelling out the $$ for? I've been told it's rather like ZOE2... "cool!!" but too short and wears thin after a while. Still debating whether or not to buy it...

EDIT: Anybody actually have the action figure? I wanted to get it but somehow always put it off... it looked like a VERY faithful representation of Beyond the Grave.

Edited by Akilae

I've seen used copies of the game go for $10, and its worth it for that price. Yeah, its a little short, but its just a check your brain at the door blast-a-thon. Swanky cutscenes too.

As for the figure, I'll take some pics of mine when I get back home today.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

I've seen used copies of the game go for $10, and its worth it for that price. Yeah, its a little short, but its just a check your brain at the door blast-a-thon. Swanky cutscenes too.

As for the figure, I'll take some pics of mine when I get back home today.

Agreed! Gungrave for PS2 does indeed kick ass but is quite short, It's one of those games that make you feel like a bad ass just like Dante in Devil May Cry. I bought mine at the Le'Target for the same price too.

Awesome review there bsu legato :D I too, am waiting for the last episode to be subbed. Gungrave is one of the most kickass animes out there. It's like If John Woo made the Godfather, threw in some of The Crow to spice it up, and made it an anime, the result would be Gungrave.

Hey Valkyrie Hundter D, do you have the big huge Gungrave figure? I saw it at my local comic shop, but I didn't have the money to get it; so I settled for that smaller 4" one, which is pretty freakin detailed for 4 inches :D

Edited by Mellow Yellow

wow, finally a gungrave anime. After playing the game, you would think they would make an anime of it sometime. I've been waiting for one and never heard or saw anything about it until today. So is this released here in the US already? or the copies you guys watching all bootleg? And how many episodes are there?

I have the 8 inch figure. One of my favorites. I haven't seen the series yet. I'll wait for the US release. There is another PS2 game coming, Gungrave O.D. The first game was good but not worth 50.00 MSRP.

You should definitely check out the anime, dejr8bud. Before anything "weird" happens and people start coming back from the dead, it's actually quite an interesting crime story. Heck, they could have just made the show about Brandon and Harry without any of the "Necro Rise" shenannigans and it would still have been a good show.

To clear things up, it is not by the same staff as the Trigun staff. Yatsuhito Nightow the character designer for Trigun was the original designer for Grave in the game, but that's it. Studio Red it seems is made mostly of Chinese and Koreans. (look at the credit's names)

Gungrave O.D the game s out for a few months. About 2 months I think. There are no plans to have an English subbed version for it and I read fan-sites that said it might never be subbed. Not sure why.

I have the Grave figure by Kaiyodo. The joints are very tight especially its shoulders which make it hard to pose....but otherwise this figure is some excellent crap. Love it.

Gungrave anime is good stuff. The 1st episode felt boring and was like crap IMHO....but if you could get past the initial 1st episode, its smooth sailing all the way. Good stuff. Shall watch the last episode tonight. I have to go to work now. Sigh!

non-last episode SPOILER

I was abit annoyed why they didn't explain the coffin's design and why is there a brain in the skull (as it was shown in the figure). In the battle with Bear Walken, the coffin gets sliced up...WTF? BAHHH!!

[/color]

I was thinking of checking out the Gungrave anime, but a friend who is usually quite reliable told me that it was dripping with teen angst. Is this true?

Those who know me know there's nothing I hate more than overly-angsty anime characters :D

Graham

I was thinking of checking out the Gungrave anime, but a friend who is usually quite reliable told me that it was dripping with teen angst. Is this true?

Those who know me know there's nothing I hate more than overly-angsty anime characters :D

Graham

:blink:

Teen-angst?? Gungrave? Is your friend watching the right anime? :blink:

Gungrave is more about brotherhood, friendship, family, and betrayal in a mafioso setting. Think of it as Godfather with an anime twist and throw in a technology to raise undead soldiers and you get Gungrave. It explores how 2 best friends slowly turn on each other as they rise up the mafia ladder and the consequences they have to live with.

I'm not sure where that teen-angst your friend saw....

Graham,

The lead character really redefines "Strong & Silent" but make no mistake; there is NO teen angst to be found here. Brandon Heat is the polar opposite of Eva's Shinji and whats-his-name, the femme guy from Yukikaze.

And if any of you decide to check out Gungrave, make sure to watch more than the first episode!! I cannot stress this enough. Episode one is really more like episode 16 or 17. In fact, I'm sure you could watch it from Ep. two through to the end with little ill effect, since much of the first episode is repeated when the series catches back up to that point in the narrative.

Edited by bsu legato