is something up with Macross Compendium?

twich

When I visit the site, it immediately turns into a search engine page with "Happy 20th Anniversary Macross" at the bottom of it.

Egan hasnt updated his site in over a month.....I wonder if everything is alright with him and if his site will continue to be available.

Is anyone else having this problem when they try to load the site?

Larry

what is adware?

Thanks...it seems that whenever I try to download anything....like I just tried to download Winamp 5.03 and it kept sending me to this frigging site...it is really pissing me off to the extreme...this is something that I can and never will understand...I have run virus checks and nothing.....it just started today and I am not really very happy with the arrangment. if anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Larry

Sounds like some kind of malware. Go download Ad-Aware, install it, run it's updater, then scan your computer.

Adware is software that likes to deliver advertisements to you, wither throu redirection, pop-ups, or replaceing the page's regular ads. It's often also spyware, which will track your surfing habits, and report it back to "home base." Most of this crap either comes bundled with other software, and tries to install on the sly with whatever it came bundled with, or will install itself automaticaly when you visit a page that has it built in. This all qualifies as malware. (malicious software) Ad-Aware should find it.

EDIT: the regular freeware version is all you need. The pay versions have a few extra bells and whistles, but nothing you absolutely need.

Edited by Greyryder

After you run Ad-aware, run this:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Quick-start guide: http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

This is intended for advanced users so be wary of what you do.

Check out the forums here: http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

They should help you figure it all out.

Hey guys,

I downloaded that ad-aware software thing and I have run both that and I have removed and re-installed Spybot.....both to no effect....I guess that I have picked up a virus or something. The funny thing is, is that Spybot doesnt seem to work anymore for me. I have it fully updated and it doesnt seem to detect anything anymore.....I used to detect things all the time...now I do not.

I got told by some of the guys that I play Desert Combat with that it is a virus....it directs your Internet explorer to direct you to search sites and takes over your search engines.....now, I dont know why it did this, but I am trying to find something that I can download to help me get rid of this thing. It is extremly frustrating to the point that I want to throw my computer out the window.

I use Grisofts AVG Free anti-virus software to do my anti-virus. If anyone knows of another free anti-virus software program, I would appreciate it if they could direct me there....Thanks!

Larry

PS- Sorry mods, this did turn out to be a Macross related question, but now it has turned into a crusade for me.

PSS-Azrael- I have tried to download this, but I just get redirected to that damn search engine things, so I cant download the thing....Thanks for the advice though.

Sounds like some kind of malware. Go download Ad-Aware, install it, run it's updater, then scan your computer.

Adware is software that likes to deliver advertisements to you, wither throu redirection, pop-ups, or replaceing the page's regular ads. It's often also spyware, which will track your surfing habits, and report it back to "home base." Most of this crap either comes bundled with other software, and tries to install on the sly with whatever it came bundled with, or will install itself automaticaly when you visit a page that has it built in. This all qualifies as malware. (malicious software) Ad-Aware should find it.

EDIT: the regular freeware version is all you need. The pay versions have a few extra bells and whistles, but nothing you absolutely need.

You know I downloaded and installed.And I got like 534 files...Thimg is. I'm preety dumb when it comes to these things...So I'm affraid if I delete them. I won't be able to acces my kazzaa, or my cookies will get messed up, or something like that. :(

Hey Super O,

How much did the Norton thing cost you? Was it expensive? I remember having Norton Anti-Virus on my computer, but I let it lapse because it cost a lot and it ate up a lot of memory from my CPU.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Larry

You know I downloaded and installed.And I got like 534 files...Thimg is. I'm preety dumb when it comes to these things...So I'm affraid if I delete them. I won't be able to acces my kazzaa, or my cookies will get messed up, or something like that. :(

Any cookies it's found, you don't want on your machine. It won't hurt things like forum log ins. If you're running the regular version of Kazaa (bad idea) it probably won't be happy. Kazaa comes loaded with that crap.

If you really want to use Kazaa, my suggestion would be to track down a copy of Kazaa Lite, or the K++ edition. Those versions have been hacked to remove the malwawre, and K++ has a number of other features, built in. Some meant to reduce the risk of the RIAA sueing you.

Their websites been shut down, but you should be able to find it on freeware sites. I think The Screensavers also try to keep an updated list of places to find them. Probably where ever they keep the dark tips section stashed away.

Any cookies it's found, you don't want on your machine. It won't hurt things like forum log ins. If you're running the regular version of Kazaa (bad idea) it probably won't be happy. Kazaa comes loaded with that crap.

If you really want to use Kazaa, my suggestion would be to track down a copy of Kazaa Lite, or the K++ edition. Those versions have been hacked to remove the malwawre, and K++ has a number of other features, built in. Some meant to reduce the risk of the RIAA sueing you.

Their websites been shut down, but you should be able to find it on freeware sites. I think The Screensavers also try to keep an updated list of places to find them. Probably where ever they keep the dark tips section stashed away.

Ok I found and are currently downloading K-lite ++. After that should I uninstalle my old kazaa,and install the new one. And run the ad aware again, and delete all the ad ware files I have?

O.k i ununstlled my old kazza. OMG this k++ version is so much better! Thanks Greyryder!!!!!

I ran the ad-aware now I only have 218 items. There from ezula,gator,brillant Digital,Web3000,windows,and some thing that say possible brwoser hijack.

Could these also be why I'm getting this "run time errors".They pop up and like a IE error, make me click them to close the window I was looking at.

Another thing also. I have a ad supported divx player. will that mess up on me too, if delete all of these?

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

A lot of that stuff is probably what's giving you those errors. None of it's good to have on your computer.

That Divx player has 2 or 3 ad delivery programs with it. Everytime you run the Divx player, it'll put that stuff back in. Unless you really need the features that the full version has, I'd recomend the free version.

Hey Super O,

How much did the Norton thing cost you? Was it expensive? I remember having Norton Anti-Virus on my computer, but I let it lapse because it cost a lot and it ate up a lot of memory from my CPU.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Larry

You can get virus updates free.

They slap them up on their site for all the world to download.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

A lot of that stuff is probably what's giving you those errors. None of it's good to have on your computer.

That Divx player has 2 or 3 ad delivery programs with it. Everytime you run the Divx player, it'll put that stuff back in. Unless you really need the features that the full version has, I'd recomend the free version.

But will my divx player still work if I delete them all?Thats what I was wondering about.The k lite ++ works a hellalot better then my old kazaa version.I only use it (the divx player) off line.

But will my divx player still work if I delete them all?Thats what I was wondering about.The k lite ++ works a hellalot better then my old kazaa version.I only use it (the divx player) off line.

My experience from the one time I accidently installed the ad supported version is that the player will still work, it just puts all the adware back in everytime it's run. Offline or not.

My experience from the one time I accidently installed the ad supported version is that the player will still work, it just puts all the adware back in everytime it's run. Offline or not.

O.k cool. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to get rid of them all then.Hopefully that damn run time error wil go away.