VB-6 Monster project update thread

Valkyrie

Ken,

Looks great!

I always thought the correct term was "countersunk" holes. They are used a lot on the external surfaces of airplanes so that aerodynamics are not impeded by additional resistance created due to raised attachement devices.

Regardless, it's all semantics, and I'm glad you figured out a way to do it.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Looking good... even from an internet cafe in Germanz (I mean Germany) at the moment. It would be nice to actuallz (actually) know some German but I'm getting bz (arg... anyone know why the German's don't know where the y key should be placed on a keyboard?) It look me a while to email the wife to let her know I made it here ok because there is no @ key anywhere to be seen on the keyboard.

Keep up the great work Ken. I'll be back in the states in a week probably having to relearn to type again.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

It's still coming along, just a bit slower than before. I've been working on a couple other projects at the same time.

I got the Full Armor VF-11 recast finished up recently.

And I've also been working with some friends, helping them with their 1/1000 Starbase scratchbuilt model, which will be at Wonderfest next weekend.

So, yea, I've been getting sidetracked a bit. But I'm learning a lot from these guys!

I'll try to get some new pics up soon.

It's still coming along, just a bit slower than before. I've been working on a couple other projects at the same time.

I got the Full Armor VF-11 recast finished up recently.

And I've also been working with some friends, helping them with their 1/1000 Starbase scratchbuilt model, which will be at Wonderfest next weekend.

So, yea, I've been getting sidetracked a bit. But I'm learning a lot from these guys!

I'll try to get some new pics up soon.

is that the Techmages project for Wonderfest, Ken? How has the progress gone on that puppy? I can't wait to see pictures. It'll be quite a thing to see!

Yep, that's the one. I somehow got sucked into the whole thing :p

It's looking really good, but there's still a lot to be done and not a lot of time to do it in.

If you want to come along and help out this weekend, I'm sure you'll be quite welcome :)

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea what sort of time frame you are looking at for castings? I am just curious so that I can plan out my toy/convention/vacation budgeting. You think we are talking several weeks or a few months?

Wild speculation is welcome if you don't have a date in mind :)

• 2 months later...
Any idea what sort of time frame you are looking at for castings? I am just curious so that I can plan out my toy/convention/vacation budgeting. You think we are talking several weeks or a few months?

Wild speculation is welcome if you don't have a date in mind :)

It takes time. Just visit this thread occationally for updates. You'll know when it's time. :D

Hello,

I've gotten a few PM's from people inquiring about status, and to preclude further questions, I personally have no new news to report.

It's been about (4) months since the last update from Valkyrie, so I would expect that we'll hear something soon hopefully.

It would be cool if Ken could get his recast completed prior to Yamato's toy, especially considering the head start we have. ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been looking at htis for a while, and a getting curious..... :D

Ive never worked with a resin kit before....is this model crazy complex, or are the insdtructions and such so that it is doable but difficult. Ive only ever worked with plastic and metal before, so if i was gona get one, would get another resin kit first to try out....i must say that this whole project looks absolutely fantastic,a dn i look foreward to the final work even if i dont get one

Sorry guys, been meaning to get this up for a while now.

Here's some shots of the main body section. It's the underside in bomber mode.

update25.JPG

update26.JPG

And of its two main components seterated (I still need to get screws with smaller heads for them, BTW)

update27.JPG

update28.JPG

As you can see... they're pretty complex :blink:

I've gotta say, the engineering on this thing is really impressive. In a few places, Sakuragawa-San used some of the Monster's details to aid in the kit's transformaion.

Like here, where this part... (which is a bit crooked cause I screwed up drilling a hole)

update29.JPG

...flips open to reveal this connecting bar, which helps hold the battroid mode together

update30.JPG

But I've also gotta say.... I'm kinda unsure about the future of this project right now :(

Yamato recently announced that their toy version will be released in November, at a price of Y14,800. That's a date I'd be hard pressed to beat, and a price I can't possibly beat :(

Honestly, if it were me contemplating buying a Monster, there'd be no doubt in my mind. I'd definitely go for the cheaper, pre-built toy, instead of a more expensive model, that I'd have to build, drill out holes, and paint.

So I think another poll may be in order. Does everyone still want one of these kits?

Ken, honestly, I'm not sure if I still want the kit. With all the tuition fees, books, rent, etc. and with the release of Yamato's VB-6 & the 1/100 VF-0, I 'm not sure I'll still have some left over for this kit. :( We'll see what happens.

Edited by Angel's Fury

I'm still in. The project must go forward!

For me, it has nothing to do with whether Yamato's "toy" will be cheaper, or easier to play with.

I want to own a piece of rare Macross history, and I want to compare the IHP to the Yamato, while at the same time appreciate both of them for what they are. ;)

By no means am I rich, but this project has gone to far and has really shown what fans can do when they work together.

Im in... but as I mentioned before, I don't care if it transforms... I'm likely to build it in fixed position.

No worries if you cancel... I also pre-ordered SMT's 1/100 Monster. By the way, in case you all haven't heard. SMT's owner, Colin, was robbed by some former employees... now he is waaaaaay behind schedule. I don't think his Monster will be ready for some time.

Ken, et al,

I suppose that Ken, who I consider to be a friend, can chose to cancel the project if he decides to, but...and I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything like that, so please don't make that presumption, but...

Christopher,

I believe you are the one making the presumption. Ken didn't say he was quiting. He's simply aware that a lower cost 1:100 VB-6 designed by Sakuragawa-San will be out before his 1:100 VB-6 designed by Sakuragawa-San. He has the right to ask if everyone is still interested as I'm sure some expect these two items to be nearly identical. I'm one of them. By the way Ken, I'm still in. Ken isn't a quiter Christopher. That should be evident by all the work he's put into this project so far. Just look at the pics he posted. If everyone wanted out I suspect Ken would lose money here but I'm sure he's got better things to do with his time then to finish this if no one wanted it any more. Thus the question. He's trying to be nice and offer those that see a cheaper alternative a way to step aside and not feel obligated to him at I expect a potential loss for himself. Now don't forget your medicine. ;)

Carl

I am signed up for one and I can go either way. I know by looking at the pictures that this is a massive project with hundreds of parts and that casting literally thousands of pieces is going to be an insane amount of work, so, personally I understand if Ken is looking to reduce the workload by letting people who are going to back out do it now. I imagine it probably will help him figure out what he is still looking at by getting another snapshot of how many kits he is looking at putting together.

At any rate, If you make the kits I will absolutely live up to my end of the bargain and buy one, however if you are looking to reduce the number of castings and cut your workload I won't be offended if you need to knock some people off the list.

Just let us know what you are thinking and what you intend to do.

I think I recall from my last order that you are out west or else I would vounteer some time to help ya out if man hours were the tough part. :o

I believe you are the one making the presumption.  Ken didn't say he was quiting.

Carl,

Please re-read my post and show me where I said Ken is quitting, because I can't find it. I haven't edited the post since you posted your comments, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the sentence where I say, "Ken is quiting." I used the words "contemplate" and "consider," so no, I did not presume anything, but apparently you did.

Let's not get into a quoting and semantics debate here, either Ken is considering quiting or he isn't, and neither you or I can answer that question for him. Until he clarifies, I stand on what I said.

Personally, I've added more people to the list of "confirmed" then I've removed since the Yamato VB-6 was first mentioned. As of yet, I fail to see some mass exodus. It's common knowledge that the same sculpter is responsible for both the toy and IHP kit, but the toy will never replace the original, or diminish the importance of the project.

Once again, regardless of whether (5) people, or (500) people buy the VB-6, I don't see that as being relevant as to the progress of the project. The project has already been funded, and there is no reason to stop.

Furthermore, I don't recall any thread advising people they needed permission to cancel their order, so if you want to back-out on your order just PM me. That's the way it's always been. The future of this project has never been predicated upon a certain number of kits being sold.

The release of the Yamato VB-6 should have no bearing upon the continuation of the IHP VB-6, and so this discussion is meaningless, unless Ken is contemplating cancelling the project.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

I'd be okay either way. I prepaid for a kit, and would like to have one, but I will also buy the toy and could consider trying to customize and detail that over the model. (and yes, I assume they will be identical, or very close) So...based on that I would defer to Ken. Ken, if your worried about it selling, or are finding it hard to want to do more (only another caster can truly understand how much mold making can begin to suck the life from you) I would support you stepping away from it. (though I am worried about how much this endevour would cost you once you return the prebuys..can you swing it? ) If you still want to do it I will still be happy to buy my kit.

Please re-read my post and show me where I said Ken is quitting, because I can't find it.

Re-read my post. Where did I say "Christopher said Ken was quitting"? But I'm with you. We are all friends here. No need to debate semantics.

I haven't edited the post since you posted your comments, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the sentence where I say, "Ken is quiting."  I used the words "contemplate" and "consider," so no, I did not presume anything, but apparently you did.

And I used the word "believe". We aren't in so different boats are we?

Let's not get into a quoting and semantics debate here, either Ken is considering quiting or he isn't, and neither you or I can answer that question for him.  Until he clarifies, I stand on what I said.

Ken was asking for input. If no one wants the kit any longer there simply would be no need to continue. I believe Ken was clear.

Personally, I've added more people to the list of "confirmed" then I've removed since the Yamato VB-6 was first mentioned.  As of yet, I fail to see some mass exodus.

That is the info Ken is after. I just think that was all you needed to say the first time. I just didn't see a need for the rest.

It's common knowledge that the same sculpter is responsible for both the toy and IHP kit, but the toy will never replace the original, or diminish the importance of the project.

I agree. But I can't speak for everyone else and neither can Ken. Again that's why he asked what he did.

Once again, regardless of whether (5) people, or (500) people buy the VB-6, I don't see that as being relevant as to the progress of the project.  The project has already been funded, and there is no reason to stop.

I'll let Ken address the numbers. I sersiously doubt Ken could make 500 recasts even if he wanted to and if he feels 5 is too small a number for the work involved I believe that is his right if he can aford to return the money for those that have funded this project. Personally I've already paid for part of this project myself and regardless how this goes I'm not going to ask for it back. Ken's put himself in a hard spot even taking on this project. I just believe he's earned the benifit of the doubt.

Furthermore, I don't recall any thread advising people they needed permission to cancel their order, so if you want to back-out on your order just PM me.  That's the way it's always been.  The future of this project has never been predicated upon a certain number of kits being sold.

Again Ken was trying to be nice. Yes anyone can back out at any time. It's just personally knowing the amout of work Ken is putting into this project I feel obligated to support it. Alot of comunity effort has gone into it so far and I'm sure others feel the same way. Have you ever asked for permission to do something you didn't need permission to do? And again back to the numbers... I'm sure there is a number there somewhere and its always been there. Ken didn't get into the project just to make a VB-6 for one person. If the number is 2, 3, or more I don't know. Ken is the one with the right to pick that number, he's doing all the hard work.

The release of the Yamato VB-6 should have no bearing upon the continuation of the IHP VB-6, and so this discussion is meaningless, unless Ken is contemplating cancelling the project.

What should be and what is aren't always the same thing. Try not to worry so much. Not only do you raise your own blood pressure you raise everyone elses. Again we are all friends here. Help yourself to a Coke. ;)

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Carl,

I agree 100% with everything you said. A nice cold coke sounds like a good idea, maybe we can hang out and drink a couple together sometime.

I completely understand, and if there is a "magic" number of interested parties needed for the project to not be cancelled, then knowing what it is will definitely help, but according to the list, we still have a large number of people.

Either way, I would hate to see all of the work Ken has done and all of the excitement and energy put in to the project to be for not.

Short of PM'ing every single person on the list, I don't know of any other way to triple check who is interested. Unless Ken has been receiving cancellations and not advising me, I'm not sure why he is concerned.

I say "triple," because a lot of the people on the list had already posted in the initial thread, and they then took the time to PM me and re-confirm their interest. Knowledge of the Yamato VB-6 is very widespread, and the IHP VB-6 thread and my inbox do not indicate cancellatons by MW Members.

My honest concern is that Ken himself is getting burned out, based upon his post. It does not make good business sense for someone who is working hard on a recast project to tell his customers that he himself would rather just go ahead and buy the Yamato. To me that is an indication that the consideration for stopping the project is for personal reasons, as opposed to a lack of customer interest.

Finish the project, and the customers will be waiting to buy it. It isn't really fair to ask the customers if they are still interested, when there haven't been any updates for over (4) months, and you just finished telling them why the Yamato is the better choice. :unsure:

Show them a completed IHP VB-6 next to the mass produced Yamato, and then ask them and see what kind of response you get. :lol:

So, stop now, make a waste of all of the invested time, and refund the pre-orders, or have faith that the majority of the people on the list know about the Yamato VB-6 and have not cancelled for a reason. That reason is simple, they want you to finish. ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))