Toyota releases a trumpet playing robot.

UN Spacy

Just a couple of months ago Sony released their robot (the QRIO). I wonder who's going to be next to release the latest robot (maybe a transforming one)?

"TOKYO (AFP) - Japan's top carmaker Toyota unveiled a trumpet-playing robot -- its first humanoid machine -- in a bid to catch up with robot technology frontrunners such as Honda and Sony.

Toyota Motor Corp. (news - web sites) showed off its walking and rolling virtuoso robots to the media at a Tokyo hotel as it announced the outline of its robot development project.

The 120-centimeter (48-inch) tall robot played "When you wish upon a star" with a trumpet as a presenter held a microphone up to the instrument, swaying naturally to the rhythm of the famous song from the Disney cartoon film Pinocchio.

The robot, with what appeared to be an artificial green leaf stuck behind its left 'ear', bowed to the audience and waved its arms to respond to applause following the brief performance.

The 35 kilogram (77 pound) as yet unnamed robot has artificial lips which can alter their position as subtly as human lips as air is forced through them, enabling it to play a trumpet as it presses the stops with its hands.

"We are determined to drive forward the Toyota Partner Robot project by putting together what we have cultivated in automotive development and production," Toyota president Fujio Cho told the news conference.

Toyota plans to form a "robot band" to play music at the 2005 World Exposition at the carmaker's base in Aichi, central Japan, the president said."

post-26-1079516839.jpg

Edited by UN Spacy

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". :)

The 35 kilogram (77 pound) as yet unnamed robot has artificial lips which can alter their position as subtly as human lips as air is forced through them, enabling it to play a trumpet as it presses the stops with its hands.

Edited by Beware of Blast

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". :)

New CEO of Toyota... Larry Flynt. :lol:

errrt.. I dunno whether to laugh or be irritated with this. I wanna hear it play! I don't see how a robot could play music that sounds anything more than sterile notes..

I heard a clip of it on Conan last night and from what I saw it was quite impressive...

Vostok 7

Bah, seeing this robot and hondas walking robot is nothing impressive. These robots have no talent. Once they start transforming and wiping out entire civilizations, then thats what you can call impressive. And they must be able to tell the difference between "I can't believe it's not butter" and real butter.

Edited by Tiny

Bah, seeing this robot and hondas walking robot is nothing impressive.  These robots have no talent.  Once they start transforming and wiping out entire civilizations, then thats what you can call impressive.

:blink::o:ph34r:

And they must be able to tell the difference between "I can't believe it's not butter" and real butter.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's funny... Sony's QRIO recently conducted an orchestra. Toyota's response was a robot that plays in one?

In related news, Toyota is named as a defendant by Wayne Bobbit. The lawsuit alleges Toyota's product caused an old injury of Bobbit's to re-occur. The plaintiff is asking millions in physical pain and suffering. :lol:

10-15 more years and maybe I can buy a Persocom "assisstant." ;)

That's funny... Sony's QRIO recently conducted an orchestra. Toyota's response was a robot that plays in one?

In related news, Toyota is named as a defendant by Wayne Bobbit. The lawsuit alleges Toyota's product caused an old injury of Bobbit's to re-occur. The plaintiff is asking millions in physical pain and suffering. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Synthetic lips :lol::lol::lol::lol: