Mitsubishi F2

From what I've read online, the F-2 is basically a Japanese built F-16, with the following Japan specific changes: -

• A 25% larger wing area.
  • Radar absorbent materials used on the leading edges.
  • A longer nose to accommodate a phased-array radar.
  • A larger tail.

I'm sure there are other differences as well, probably in the avionics

According to one website I read the cost is roughly 4 times that of a Block 50/52 F-16.

Graham

The plane is supposed to be larger then the F-16. But the canopy seems be relatively larger compared to the fuselage when compared to an F-16. For the pilot to stretch his arms?

I heard it costs as much to build as the F-15J which is already bloody expensive. At that kind of costs, I would have thought it would be better to upgrade the F-15J, you know, slap on some FAST packs, add 3 more lasers to the head, that kinda thing.

Age overrules size for cost, almost always. As in, a new "cheap" fighter will end up costing more than an "expensive" fighter of an older design. F-16's about the only plane in history that actually did end up costing less (at least really early on, like Block 1), mainly because it could use an engine already in existence, and it was initially a purely close-in dayfighter. Then they added a nice new radar, kept adding things, and now we have the F-16 Block 50D...

Recently in the news, an F2 accidentally strafed a golf course and put 160 bullets into a car. The JSDF are embarassed at their long safety track record being ruined.

The article (I can't find it right now) mentioned the F2 has been used for 15 years?

It's interesting that Mitsubishi builds this. Is it completely built by Mitsubishi (who built the Zero in WWII) under liscense from Lockheed Martin or do they only fabricate the custom parts?

Edited by ComicKaze

Recently in the news, an F2 accidentally strafed a golf course and put 160 bullets into a car. The JSDF are embarassed at their long safety track record being ruined.

The article (I can't find it right now) mentioned the F2 has been used for 15 years?

It's interesting that Mitsubishi builds this. Is it completely built by Mitsubishi (who built the Zero in WWII) under liscense from Lockheed Martin or do they only fabricate the custom parts?

How the heck do you "accidentally" strafe a golf course? And put 160 (presumably 20mm) rounds into a car at a golf course?

The mind boggles.

If I remember what little literature I've seen on the F2, it's pretty much a new fuselage/ wing right? For all practical purposes, a new plane?

How the heck do you "accidentally" strafe a golf course? And put 160 (presumably 20mm) rounds into a car at a golf course?

The mind boggles.

Too much Ace Combat on the pilot's free time?

Or Sake.

Anyway, I am sure the car got a lot less then 160 rounds. The pilot has to be a real marksman to pot 160 into a car sized target with an vulcan.

would guess Mitsubishi builds the wing, then assembles the plane in its own factory with the rest of the parts coming in kit form from Lockheed.

That's how I heard it, too. I was under the impression that Mitsubishi would eventually build the whole thing, though. Pretty neat bird, if you ask me (and you didn't) :p

Edited by GreatMoose

The wing is Japanese built. Some fancy composite curing process which they gave to the US in exchange for the rest of the US tech found on the plane. Plane is about 60 Nippon, 40% USA.

I can't find details on the web about just what exactly this fancy curing process does though.

I still think they should have made it more like the 16XL. Would have been neat.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

There's SO many ways to make composite parts for planes. I'm still amazed whenever I see it on TV. Take a big piece of fabric, a bottle of "goop", a big paintbrush, and get to work. A few days later, you've got an X-32 wing. (May have been UGLY, but the wing construction was ultra-advanced).