Anyone ever seen Donnie Darko?

NERV

I saw this movie awhile back and its now one of my favorite movies alot of my friends also love it and some hate it, nobody inbetween so its basicly a love it or hate it movie, what do you people think of it? i also like to hear peoples interpertations of the ending, me and one of my friends have a dispute on the ending.

I'm actually one of those few people in between.

The rabbit freaked me out.

If you have the DVD and listen to both commentaries, you can get insight to the ending.

guess i shud watch the commentary i havent looked at any of the extras yet

I liked it....quite unusual movie. Like the idea that goes off the holywood stereotypes.

Yeah, the comentaries are good not just because the insights about the film but explains a lot of the psychology behind the script and acting. Also some of the omited scenes are surprising.

Great movie. I'll probably end up getting it one of these days.

its only $10 at bestbuy

Really... cool, I'll probably get it the next time I pass by. Great soundtrack too, but that I don't have to buy. :p

its only $10 at bestbuy

Really... cool, I'll probably get it the next time I pass by. Great soundtrack too, but that I don't have to buy. :p

awesome soundtrack, at first i didnt like it but it grew on me fast, especially that music when hes doin crazy things

its only $10 at bestbuy

awesome soundtrack, at first i didnt like it but it grew on me fast, especially that music when hes doin crazy things

I almost mentioned the soundtrack before... easily the best use of Tears for Fears in a film since the Breakfast Club. And I'm not a Tears for Fears fan, really.

But the scene with "Heed over Heels" is one of my favorite music/movie moments.

The only place i saw an ad for Donnie Darko was at some artsy theater that shows mostly foreign film. Never saw an ad on TV. Loved the movie.

As usual I enjoy a movie when I Know nothing about it. Most ads today show you the whole movie.

Most frightening moment: Sparkle Motion!

Best song: Mad mad world.

The dvd goes into some crazy amount of detail into the backstory and what happen in the ending timeline.

Patrick Swayses character still gets his in the end! :wacko:

i thought it was ok, but over hyped.

Over hyped? I never even heard about it until I saw it at the rental place.

I'm not saying it wasn't over-hyped, but I guess it's a sign for me to get out more. :lol:

i thought it was ok, but over hyped.

Over hyped? I never even heard about it until I saw it at the rental place.

I'm not saying it wasn't over-hyped, but I guess it's a sign for me to get out more. :lol:

Which totally proves my point that the term "over-hyped" is only in the eye of the beholder and completely irrelevant when it comes to critiquing something.

So let's all come up with a better reason to like/dislike something, shall we?

Thank You! :)

i itnhk i might remember seeing one or two commercials for it back in the days and the commercials didnt make it look good, it wasnt till i saw it at my friend house that i even remebered it exited, hardly "overhyped"

The best thing is to watch it after you've seen it and picking out the little details - Frank's car, how everything is connected, and all the subtle hints here and there to what's really going on...it really is a movie that benefits from repeat viewings :)

I loved DD. But after spending much time pondering it, dicussing it at length on line, etc, I started to think that in the end it didn't add up. Especially when so many important details are not included in the film - watch the extras and read the book - it pretty much lays out the whole plot there. But that's not a bad thing, it's still a very creative film that makes you think (and argue with your friends)

You can get more backstory through the website which is my vote for best movie website ever.

http://www.donniedarko.com/

Thought it was ok, but nothing really special. A rental movie only IMO. Good for one watch. Glad I didn't see it at the cinema and not the sort of movie I'd bother buying on DVD.

Different strokes for different folks I supose.

Graham

Thought it was an excellent movie. I love films where you can't predict the entire movie after the first 10 minutes. :D Btw NERV, why the sudden interest in it? DD's been out for a while now.

iuno, i was watching it last night ans i just wondered wut other people's opinion on the ending was, so far nobody has put in theirs :(

Thought it was an excellent movie.  I love films where you can't predict the entire movie after the first 10 minutes.  :D  Btw NERV, why the sudden interest in it?  DD's been out for a while now.

iuno, i was watching it last night ans i just wondered wut other people's opinion on the ending was, so far nobody has put in theirs :(

Hmmm... I only have one interpretation of the ending... I wasn't aware of dispute.

Maybe it would help the conversation if you told us what the two differeing opinions were?

When I first saw the movie, the story seemed open with no clear delineations-was it a time paradox story? Was it just a delusion of some kid who skipped his medication? Or was it just weird for the sake of being weird like Twin Peaks or Lost Highway? Either way, I thought the movie was cool enough to warrant a $10 DVD purchase (with a great soundtrack to boot). After watching it one more time and going through the extras, the movie seemed more like a hero story with a bit of divine intervention. Watching the extras pretty much ended all the squablling with my friends.:) Anyways, for only $10, the movie's definitely worth it.

well based on that i havent seen the commentary yet, my interpertation of the ending is that he figured out how to use his spear to go back in time instead of forward cuz when he looked inside his girl's spear it looked the same as the worm hole that the jet engine went through, so he went back to undo his girls death, wrote the letter to sparrow then in the excitement of figuring out how to time travel he forgot about the jet engine and went to bed, i dont rmeber what my friend thought it was, like the ending itself isnt really open to interpertation but we were disputed on how exactly he went back in time, cuz he wasnt near the jet's worm hole so i dont think he used that