Macross Do You Remember Love DVD

Both are bootlegs.

I have the first one. Its made by Animation Cartoon aka AC or MI now. It has some grain in dark colors such as black and blue but otherwise, is pretty good.

The 2nd one is made by FX, supposedly much higher quality than the AC version since they used better compression algorithms. I have not seen it but everyone here who has seen both says to buy the FX version.

Anyone know a shop in HK that actually carries FX? PM me.

None compares to the original Japanese only region 2 for PERFECTION though.

item 2 is the best version of macross DYRL you can buy. it has beter everything over the first one.

Not so. Both are good for different reasons...

#1 Has the most accurate translation of the script to date. If you want to know EXACTLY what they're saying, get this one. It's by no means bad.

#2 Has revamped resolution and everything... colors are much brighter, but two problems with the dialogue. (1) They don't subtitle the songs (which I hate), and (2) They paraphrase a lot of text (for example: Misa specifically mentions "Skull, Angel, and Apollo Squadrons" in the audio, and the text just says "attention all units". If you're a text-nazi like me, this gets really figgin' annoying.

Bottom line? If you want the most correct presentation of the story, get the first one, but if all you care about is pretty pictures, get the second one.

Edited by Skull Leader

Why doesn't someone rip the subtitles from the AC version, add it to the FX disc and remaster it? It could be subtitle track 3 and everyone will be happy.

I just checked cdjapan.co.jp and its 71 USD for DYRL. If only the YEN would take a 30% nosedive like right now... :D

Hehe, just ordered the FX version from eBay a few days ago.

I can finally watch DYRL without the edits (Stomped brains and naked Minmay, woohoo... er...), and with decent video.

If the subs are really bad... I can always turn them off :lol:

My sister ordered the M7 FX bootlegs a day or two ago, too.

There was a plan to redo the FX version with better subs but it seemed the project was canned. Not sure why though...

-K

Because FX doesn't re-do anything unless "a lot" of people complain about it, and are pretty much entirely doing R1 release rips now. Sad but true.

As for the old DYRL HK DVD, those subtitles sucked too, and the timings were bad. The FX script may not be perfect, but its very understandable, and the timing is right on.

is the FX bootleg a dual layer disc? the non FX is a dvd-5 so being a 2hr movie, you can bet the compression % was way up there.

Dual layered, it's actually a very accurate rip. The only thing it's missing is the toho pictures part of the intro. It's even anamorphic.

After doing some searches, I found out DYRL has been released into HK in original format. Its an authorized version of the R2 disc but comes with Chinese subtitles only. Japanese, Cantonese dub, and Mandarin dubbed track. I have to check on pricing but I think its no more than 30-40 USD.

Region 0

SDF Macross TV version has also been released as a 10 disc set for 86 USD. Same audio.

For guys with the script and DVDROMS, this is a good alternative to get original Macross DVDs without the high prices.

I don't know if they are the same as Animeigo's remastered editions but I'm going to pick them up and see. Will report more as after I find them.

After doing some searches, I found out DYRL has been released into HK in original format. Its an authorized version of the R2 disc but comes with Chinese subtitles only. Japanese, Cantonese dub, and Mandarin dubbed track. I have to check on pricing but I think its no more than 30-40 USD.

Region 0

SDF Macross TV version has also been released as a 10 disc set for 86 USD. Same audio.

For guys with the script and DVDROMS, this is a good alternative to get original Macross DVDs without the high prices.

I don't know if they are the same as Animeigo's remastered editions but I'm going to pick them up and see. Will report more as after I find them.

I had that version of DYRL. It looks nothing like the R2 or FX version. Its not anamorphic either. It is a legit DVD though. Funny thing about that disc is that all the menus are available in English but no English subs. Actullay I think thats what was used in the MI bootleg.

Edited by dejr8bud

erh, don't forget about the sound. The First one from MI has 5.1 surround and the second one from FX is just 2.0. I though the MI version was from a Laser disc.

The MI disc is most certainly "not" in dolby 5.1, hell, they didn't evne have 5.1 when that laserdisc came out! Both are dolby 2.0 mixes, irregardless of what your display says.

Its not hard-subbed, right?

Yup. The FX DVD has removable subtitles. B))

One minor nitpick....the English subtitles are removable. Unfortunately, Japanese subtitles for Zentran speak are hard subbed, but those have been there since the original release, so there's nothing you can do about that. :(

The only real annoyance on the FX release is the removal of the first couple seconds with the toho pictures logo, it just jumps into the black screen with Britai & Exedor.

Well I would say its only an annoyance if you are trying to use DVDsubber with the FX DVD. Since the script is timed to the region 2 DVD you have to retime the script about 4-5 min or so with the FX DVD.

No one would know the Emotion, Toho screens were missing. Even a little of the black screen at the beginning is missing from the FX version. Not a big deal really but noticeable if you are trying to use a DVDsubber script with it.