Sid Meier's Pirates!

Ladic

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidpir...ws_6086103.html

New Sid Meier's Pirates! details

Firaxis confirms its hotly anticipated high-seas sequel will sport expanded role-playing elements.

Firaxis Games has released a few more details about Sid Meier's Pirates!, the forthcoming update of the 1987 classic buccaneer adventure. Like its predecessor, the game will let players step into the boots of pirate captain take to the high seas of the 17th Century Caribbean. It will also retain the original's mix of exploration, sea battles, ship commandeering, fort raiding, booty collecting, and hand-to-hand combat. Originally announced at last year's E3, the new game is also known to utilize the GameBryo 3D engine used by the Morrowind and Dark Age of Camelot series.

Firaxis' latest announcement confirms the new Pirates! will feature a much-expanded role-playing element with "multiple paths to a wealthy, happy retirement"--meaning, presumably, players can choose to between a benevolent, Jack Sparrow-like rogue or a heartless, Blackbeard-esque buccaneer. The company's release specifically mentioned a large cast of "interesting and dangerous characters" as well as a fame system that will let players expand their crew, fleet, and pile o' plunder as their "reputation and skills grow." The statement also confirmed a system of alliances with other pirate captains and that the game would have enhanced surround sound.

Unfortunately, more details on Sid Meier's Pirates! are scarce. The PC game is being published by Atari, and is scheduled for release later this year.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot  [postED: 01/05/04 05:35 PM]

post-26-1077552010_thumb.jpg

As Pirates! is one of my all time favorite games (it's one of the very few I have purchased on multiple platforms, including the C64, Amiga, PC, and even on a console (can't remember if it was the Genesis or SNES, though...I think the former), I was very glad to hear this news when it was first rumored about last year.

I am hoping, however, that they don't try to add too much that ruins the game. For example, all this talk of additional RPG elements. I'm all for more stats for your character, more choices, more interraction with individuals (apparently the other captains will have personalities and won't just be "Arrgh! It's the <adjective><rank><name>!"), but what I'm hoping they avoid is getting bogged down in a story (ala Sea Dogs). Part of the charm of Pirates! was that you were pretty much writing your own story. Sure you always had that side quest regarding your missing family members, but otherwise you could write the story of the stalwart trader, the cruel pirate, the all-but officially commisioned city capturing privateer, or even just a simple captain sailing around hitting on all the governor's daughters and barmaids and never settling down with anyone. It was the open endedness of games like this, Sword of the Samurai, and Darklands that made them so appealing, in my humble opinion (although Pirates! benefits from doing just about everything right).

Will Wright (of everything Sim-related) was part of a panel at a game conference recently that asked 'Do games need stories?'. Depending on the style of game, I totally agree with him that a designer should never enforce a story on a player. If the player has nearly complete control over the events, then the story truly becomes that of the player and is richer because of it (now, granted, some people just don't have the imagination to tell their own stories, so they suffer from these types of games). I'm hoping Mr. Meier, who has always been in the same line of game design as Mr. Wright in that they've both been makers of 'tool boxes' or 'toys' rather than interractive fiction, is of the same mind and doesn't force a single story on us. Part of the reason Pirates! is still played today be people is that everytime you play it, you get a different story (unless you're stuck on the mindset of saving and reloading every time something goes slightly wrong, then you're basically playing the same game every time...which is your own fault).

BTW, does anyone remember the initial release of Pirates! that came in the hard cover book-like box? Ah, the grand old days of creative packaging and hefty, info filled manuals....

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

I always will miss those oldskool manuals.

Back when they still had full size boxes, there was nothing more disappointing than spending $50 on a game and only getting a jewel case with a CD and a tiny manual stuffed inside the jewel case.

Vostok 7

ah, u mean this one?

I had it, I remember my me and my dad buying this game for my brother for the Apple IIC, for many years we had to play this game without been able to save, cause we needad a second floppy disk drive to do so, lol.

Also, at first when I played this game it was only on 3 colors, green, black, white(apple monitor), imagine my wonder, when I discovered I could hook it up to the tv and get like 8 different colors or something like that, lol.

The map that it came with, was pretty cool too.

post-26-1077557028.jpg

Edited by Ladic

• 8 months later...

Played it on the Apple IIGS, the Amiga, the PC. One of my favorite games ever (it's a toss-up between that and Gunship... the original Micropose Apache sim).

Let me just say that this game and not Doom III or Far Cry is really pushing me to upgrade my crappy PC. I also mostly stick to console versions if they're OK but Pirates! will definately be on my PC.

What kind of game is this?

I like Civilization IIIX, is this similar?

It's an adventure game, but very open ended, Imagine GTA but back in the 80's.

I really dunno how else to describe it, because I've never played another game like it.

But the cool thing is that the collectors Edition, will come with a copy of the Original game.

I hope one day the do the same with X-Com, a nice remake, with online capabilities, and a copy of the original. :D

I hope one day the do the same with X-Com, a nice remake, with online capabilities, and a copy of the original. :D

I don't think there will ever be an "officail" remake of X-COM. Oh how I hope I am wrong. The first two X-COM's were really good, but then came the third one, "X-COM Apocalypse." Then came the third person shoot game, i forget what it was called, but oh god was it bad.

There are a few open source projects that are trying to "remake" X-COM without getting introuble with the software companies. Here is one of them. Just found it, so I don't know that much about it.

http://www.projectxenocide.com/

Is Pirates only for X-Box, or will there be a PC version as well?

I hope one day the do the same with X-Com, a nice remake, with online capabilities, and a copy of the original.  :D

I don't think there will ever be an "officail" remake of X-COM. Oh how I hope I am wrong. The first two X-COM's were really good, but then came the third one, "X-COM Apocalypse." Then came the third person shoot game, i forget what it was called, but oh god was it bad.

There are a few open source projects that are trying to "remake" X-COM without getting introuble with the software companies. Here is one of them. Just found it, so I don't know that much about it.

http://www.projectxenocide.com/

Is Pirates only for X-Box, or will there be a PC version as well?

Pirates is coming out next month for PC only, but next year (I think in the first quarter) it's coming out for X-Box also.

Product Description

From the Manufacturer

Originally released in 1987, Pirates! received unprecedented critical acclaim for crossing multiple game genres to offer unique, unrivaled gameplay options. Pirates! set the industry standard for innovative game design with its unique blend of open-ended role-playing, real-time adventures and thrilling action sequences.

Now it's time for Sid Meier and Firaxis Games to bring this pioneering action-adventure game into the 21st century. An entirely new game engine will deliver updated gameplay, stunning new features, spectacular 3D graphics and enhanced sound effects, so players can fully experience the intrigue, adventure and danger of life as a pirate on the Spanish Main.

In Pirates! you take the leading role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize your rightful place as one of the most revered (and feared!) pirates in history. Test your skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and exotic ports in a richly detailed 3D world. Overtake the enemy and seize valuable booty. Exchange plank-shattering broadsides in fierce naval battles, and engage in duels with worthy opposing captains.

The new Pirates! carries on with the great gameplay and design simplicity tradition of the award-winning original, while adding more challenging and exciting battle options. It offers a deeper and more varied role-playing experience that includes multiple paths to a wealthy retirement. This and many other features and additions make this gaming classic one of the most highly anticipated releases of this century!

Game Features:

* Experience an all-new story built upon the most fun and compelling features of the original Pirates! game

* Live out multiple quests through a non-linear, open life timeline where every decision poses distinct challenges and possibilities

* Witness the consequences of your actions in current events throughout the Pirates! world

* Battle, overtake and command 27 different ship types, enhanced with assorted ammo, cannon and other upgrades

* Take on various foes including merchant and military captains, ferocious pirates, evil gentry and even rival suitors -- each with different skills and abilities

* Confront enemies on board ships, in seedy taverns, on the ramparts and even at the Governor's mansion Wield weapons -- or anything within your reach -- as you fence against foes

* Engage in fierce naval battles fighting single enemies or multiple ships

* Sneak into towns, escape out of prisons, navigate around adversaries and surprise unsuspecting vessels Dispatch landing parties of buccaneers in strategic battles to take over entire cities

* Increase your riches and impress the governor's daughter with your charm, fame, heroism -- even your dancing abilities

* Collect items (swords, spyglasses, armor, hats, coats, etc.) that improve skills or provide other new benefits and view them in a new inventory system Enhance your gameplay experience with downloadable content including flags, sail emblems, character skins and more

Awards:

Since its initial release, Pirates! has sold more than a million units worldwide, and received numerous awards:

* Action Game of the Year

* Computer Gaming World Magazine

* Historical Game of the Year

* Compute Magazine

* Best Fantasy/Role Playing Game

* Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design

Having been inducted into the Hall of Fame by both Computer Gaming World and GameSpy, and voted one of the top 20 all-time games by Computer Gaming World Magazine, Pirates! is recognized as one of the greatest games ever created.

Once again I am openly going to state I know Sid Meier Personally, ahve betatested every game since Civ3, and given my artistic insight on units and maps, etc.

Are you trying to make us jealous? Because its working. Why not send all MWers a complimentary copy of Pirates since you're chummy with your bud Sid :p:ph34r:

Edited by lt.actionjackson