PC Reaches 5 GHz

Ladic

And I thought that those water cooling systems I've seen were overkill.

Somehow, I thought you had to have a license to purchase and use liquid nitrogen....

purchase it... kinda... depends on how you do it. I learned the meathods of aquiring "controlled" substances a long time ago. Lets just say it one more reason to have a current student ID ;)

as for re-selling it once you use it in something... thats no problem as long as it's a sealed system and meets consumer regs. I have a smoke detector which uses radioactive material and simply states it's complience to whatever US code on the package. You can't buy mercury but you can buy a bunch of pool thermometers and drain the mercury from them. You can't buy plutonium but you can scrape the hands of a few thousand indiglo watches/clocks. And you'd be amazed what you can order from overseas :rolleyes:

All I know is that I feel antiquated with my pc's now :blink:

Sure you can get plutonium from a watch? I'm 90% sure it's called INDIglo because of INDIum. Radioactive, but not plutonium. Plutonium (asides from radioactivity) is one of the nastiest most toxic substances known. One of those "breathe in one molelcule and you're dead in a minute". It's like arsenic and mercury combined into one more concentrated deadlier element.

I'm 100% sure that there's no plutonium on any watch dials. The Indiglo watches I have only light up when you press a button, by the way. So it's not radiactivity. I just found online info that it's a kind of phosphor.

Radium was formerly used on watches, with disastrous results for the people who painted them by hand. Tritium is still used, apparently. I had a tritium dial watch once. It's radioactive, but not significantly dangerous to biological tissue.

At least at one time, it was possible to purchase bottles of radium paint to repair watch dials whose paint had flaked off. I have heard a story about a guy who collected old watches, scraped off the radium paint, and also gathered as much of the paint bottles as he could find, so that he could do home experiments. His experiments supposedly ended when the authorities detected an unusually large radiation source in his neighborhood and came knocking.

Info on luminous watch dials

Here's the story of the amateur scientist. I may have gotten some details wrong. Appears to be true.

Apparently plutonium is deadly both because of the radiation and because it's chemically toxic, like lead. But both dangers may be exaggerated depending on whether Pu is in a pure state or in a compound like plutonium oxide. At least, that's what this page says. Other sites agree, while still others say it's nuclear industry propaganda...

Edited by ewilen

Sure you can get plutonium from a watch? I'm 90% sure it's called INDIglo because of INDIum. Radioactive, but not plutonium. Plutonium (asides from radioactivity) is one of the nastiest most toxic substances known. One of those "breathe in one molelcule and you're dead in a minute". It's like arsenic and mercury combined into one more concentrated deadlier element.

jeeze... when I get to detailed and specific I get yelled at and when I am ambiguous I get heckled :rolleyes: .

No indiglo isn't worth a damn for "recreational" purposes... it was just easier to refer to than whatever the proper chem name was for the stuff on the old alarm clocks with glow in the dark hands from the 50's. And it would take thousands of them and proccessing the scrapings repeatedly for that to be worth anything. You have to remember that back in the 50's the government was dosing our own troops with LSD and every kid wanted anything that said/was atomic cause atomic was cool. Everybody knows the tragic end of the poor basdard who discovered x-rays... now LOL. There are easier ways by far. It was just used to illustrate the "where there is a will, there's a way" premise. Heck... lots of everyday stuff is slightly radioactive in some manner and thats not even mentioning the radioactive paint they use to do the escape route arrow marks on the walls inside an aircraft carrier. "go ahead... lick it... I double dog dare you"... the paint wouldn't hurt you but you sure as hell want to stay away from the radar array :blink: . We've already discussed in the absurd auctions thread how you can purchase uranium off ebay.

anyhow... I sell sharp pointies as a hobby and side business primarily to supplament my own collection. I only sell pointies! [ not counting everything else I sell... you know what I mean... no gunpowder related stuff like guns or mines] You really don't want to know the stuff I get offered all the time or the freaky people you meet by referal.

god that got off topic.

I know a few engineering student at the local university as well as a few professors. Usually whenever I ask them a question they just stare at me. For instance... most of us know what a cpu heat sink looks like. Most of us know what a cpu looks like. Why don't they have why don't cpu's have tabs along 2/4 sides like [] [] [] [] [] [] and heat sinks with the matching design so that there is more surface contact and thus better heat dissipitation?

You could actually embed a tiny radiator in the chip but that would make it priced to high... I believe only the military can justify it at the moment.

Wouldn't putting your pc in a dorm fridge work :rolleyes:

Why do most pc's bought from a store only come with one friggin fan?!? I've actually seen some with nothing but the cpu fan!

All we need is an "atomic" cooling system and all will be well in the world

That is pretty cool.

I remember before CPU's passed the 1 Ghz mark, that there was a company that used a refrigeration unit to cool the chip enough to OC it to 1Ghz. Think that they used a P3 too.

It's amazing how much the computing industry has taken notice of overclocking/modding PC's now.