ROTK DVD release

bandit29

Follows the usual release pattern of course but there is a note about the trilogy coming 2005.

February 17, 2004 - Ok hobbits, here we go with the legitimate The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King cover art. There was some bogus art floating around earlier from region two, but a check with our friends at New Line found out it was fake. This is the real deal. Props to TheOneRing.net for scooping the story.

The third and final installment of the trilogy hits DVD on May 25th with a two-disc set for $29.99, and the mondo four- or five-disc set comes a few months after that (reportedly in September). The two-disc set will feature the 201-minute theatrical cut and a a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtrack.

Like the first two discs, the the extras on disc two will contain featurettes created for the lordoftherings.net, such as Aragorn's Destiny, Battle of Pelennor Fields, Digital Horses, Eowyn White Lady of Rohan, Minas Tirith and Samwise the Brave. The disc will also come with a music video for Annie Lennox's Oscar-nominated song "Into the West," trailers and TV spots, an inside look at the extended four-disc edition of "The Return of the King" and DVD-ROM content.

Also, the scoopers at DVDAnswers.com have an item from the International Toy Fair on LotR, with a bullet point that reads "LOTR DVD Trilogy Coming in 2005." What they could possibly add, we don't know. Hopefully it will be more than just the three Special Extended Editions thrown into one pretty box.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/492/492713p1.html

post-26-1077151597.jpg

And for the love of God people, there's an Extended Edition coming a few months after this! Only buy this one if you don't care about the EE version!

And if you don't have a soul, buy the "fullscreen" version.

I'll be buying both lol

lol I actually by the fullscreen versions of the theatrical since the EE versions are anamorphic widescreen only. I haven't watched the theatrical versions since I bought the EE versions though. Call it the collectors mentality or my wife telling me to buy it :lol:

lol I actually by the fullscreen versions of the theatrical since the EE versions are anamorphic widescreen only.

*gasp* Fullscreen heathen! :p

Actually, it's not even that simple anymore. T3 was shot in a format (I forget which it was called) that actually gets matted to create the theatrical ratio. THat's why the "Fullscreen" version, which was unmatted, actually had more image than the widescreen version. :blink:

And for the love of God people, there's an Extended Edition coming a few months after this! Only buy this one if you don't care about the EE version!

Yep. Btw, when exactly will the EE of ROTK be released?

lol I actually by the fullscreen versions of the theatrical since the EE versions are anamorphic widescreen only.

Actually, it's not even that simple anymore. T3 was shot in a format (I forget which it was called) that actually gets matted to create the theatrical ratio. THat's why the "Fullscreen" version, which was unmatted, actually had more image than the widescreen version. :blink:

:D

People that like watching Full Screen DVD's might as well cover half of their face while watching the movie. With Full Screen you're already missing so much of the movie it's ridiculous. :blink:

:D

People that like watching Full Screen DVD's might as well cover half of their face while watching the movie. With Full Screen you're already missing so much of the movie it's ridiculous. :blink:

Yeah, I certainly have to agree there. Having it in extended edition & in widescreen, nothing beats that.

Hee... vampires, undead, my parents... the only real supporters of full-screen.

If I have to explain to my mom why "those silly black lines" are there one more time... :p

I'll be waiting for the extended version, just like I did for the other two.

September!  Why must I suffer so. I hope it's 5 hours like people speculated.  Luckily my brother gets the theatrical version, that should hold me off.

Via info from The One Ring.net, it will actually clock-in at 4hours and 10minutes. Appears the confusion began when a reporter thought he heard 4:50 instead of 4:15. The release is supposed to be the usual - November. Having been a lucky one to go to the TRIOLOGY TUESDAY event, I can't wait to do it again albeit from my couch instead of those seats!! :blink:

There's also sketchy info that the 2005 Trilogy Box Set may contain a bonus disc with deleted scenes that were not included in the extended editions.

More info that there's "talks" about The Hobbit going on between New Line and MGM, but Jackson said he'd like to do it -- "I am certainly interested in making 'The Hobbit,'" says Jackson, wearing his now-trademark knee-length shorts in a swanky Hollywood restaurant. "I definitely wouldn't want to see anyone else do it." As well as Ian McKellan being eager, they only need Gollum, Bilbo, and Elrond to make return roles.

BRING IT ON SMAUG!! BRING IT ON!! :D

There is resistance against making a Hobbit Movie from Tolkien's estate. Again. Same guy who wouldn't let Jackson make the LOTR museam in the Phillipines preserving a lot of the props and costumes.

Hopefully it will clear up and the movie can be made.

Edited by Anubis

There is resistance against making a Hobbit Movie from Tolkien's estate.  Again.  Same guy who wouldn't let Jackson make the LOTR museam in the Phillipines preserving a lot of the props and costumes.

Hopefully it will clear up and the movie can be made.

Do you the reason as to why there is such a resistance to the making of The Hobbit movie? Won't that mean more $$ for them?

Via info from The One Ring.net, it will actually clock-in at 4hours and 10minutes. Appears the confusion began when a reporter thought he heard 4:50 instead of 4:15. The release is supposed to be the usual - November. Having been a lucky one to go to the TRIOLOGY TUESDAY event, I can't wait to do it again albeit from my couch instead of those seats!! 

There's also sketchy info that the 2005 Trilogy Box Set may contain a bonus disc with deleted scenes that were not included in the extended editions.

More info that there's "talks" about The Hobbit going on between New Line and MGM, but Jackson said he'd like to do it -- "I am certainly interested in making 'The Hobbit,'" says Jackson, wearing his now-trademark knee-length shorts in a swanky Hollywood restaurant. "I definitely wouldn't want to see anyone else do it." As well as Ian McKellan being eager, they only need Gollum, Bilbo, and Elrond to make return roles.

So that's the EE or the two-disc set?

There's also sketchy info that the 2005 Trilogy Box Set may contain a bonus disc with deleted scenes that were not included in the extended editions. .

I hate you when I said that! Now I'm gonna have to spend more $$ just to find out the deleted scenes that were not included in the extended editions. I wish they just made a director's cut edition!

OK, this is pissing me off,

What should I get to get the most content,,,,the trilogy in 2005????????when it comes out, I can rent whatever in the meantime i got the $hitty Twin towers 1st release and the original 1st one

and damn it they better make the Hobbit, thats the only book i ever read except for Call of the Wild and various shop manuals,,,,,oh yeah, and playboy for the pictures

Do you the reason as to why there is such a resistance to the making of The Hobbit movie? Won't that mean more $$ for them?

Christopher Tolkien is rumored to be an ass regarding adaptions of his father's works. He apparently had complaints about LOTR initially. He apparently is still not fuzzy about it considering he put a clamp on the museum Jackson wanted to make.

OK, this is pissing me off,

What should I get to get the most content,,,,the trilogy in 2005????????when it comes out, I can rent whatever in the meantime i got the $hitty Twin towers 1st release and the original 1st one

and damn it they better make the Hobbit, thats the only book i ever read except for Call of the Wild and various shop manuals,,,,,oh yeah, and playboy for the pictures

If you want the most content, you should take a remedial english course and learn how to read the books. You can even splice in your own playmates into the pages, if it helps. ;)

As for the Hobbit, I'm sure they'll figure out the rights situation soon enough. The amount of money such a release could pull should grease the wheels of negotiation fairly well. It definitely did the trick for Spiderman, which was trapped in rights-hell for decades.

I'll be buying the theatrical release as well as the Extended set, just like I did for the other two films. As a long time fan of film and a Tolkien fan, I love the two versions. The theatrical releases for their ability to tell a grand story in a limited format and the extended editions for packing in as much of Tolkien's work as possible.

Also, it's often my job (don't ask me how) to introduce new friends to films they would not ordinarily see. Happens to me all the time. I wouldn't dare drop the extended editions on someone whose never seen the Lord of the Rings. The theatrical releases alone can be a challenge for some. :)

• 3 weeks later...