Help me ID a movie!!!

Agent ONE

It is an 80s movie, live action (that means not anime), featured these crazy robotic spiders that crawled around and killed people for some bad guy. There was a cop after the bad guy and he had a pistol that fired heat seaking rocket propelled grenades. What movie is this... This has been bugging me for months.

Runaway

1984, Science Fiction, PG-13

Director: Michael Crichton With: Tom Selleck, Cynthia Rhodes, Gene Simmons, Kirstie Alley, Stan Shaw, G.W. Bailey, Joey Cramer, Chris Mulkey, Anne-Marie Martin, Michael Paul Chan

Police Detective Ramsay (Tom Selleck) is assigned the task of stopping the killing spree of a rampaging robot.

poster_under_licence.gif

Hey thanks guys... I don't know how I forgot that Tom Selleck was in it... Probably a grudge I have against him becasue he is a Sigma Chi and they want me dead. LOL.

Michael Crichton directed that one??? LOL. All his movies and plots are the same. Technology out to kill people. Juarssic Park, West World, maybe he wrote that Simpsons episode where they go to amusement park and the animatronics go nuts. :p

You don't remember Runaway? :o

Gene Simmons and his pissy girlfriend Kristie Alley?

Tom Selleck disarming a trashcan house robot with a revolver?

The highway chase scene with the reomote controlled bombs and the cop cars with HUDs?

... actually, this movie sucked now that I think about it.

Bug detected! :p

I remember that movie! I guess I was too young to notice Gene Simmons (as if the big tongue isn't noticable already), but once I saw ol' Magnum P.I. the movie got a lot better. I think the end of the movie took place in an abandoned skyscraper..........and Gene Simmons got

killed by his own spiders when he fell off the elevator. :lol:

I liked runaway, but patlabor had the same idea and did it better ;) A police division made for rogue technology

:huh:

Runaway and Patlabor, similar!?!?!? You sure about that?

I actually enjoyed Runaway quite a bit. I haven't seen the movie in years, but I remember very much enjoying it. I clearly remember those spiders. Damn they freaked me out when I was younger :)

I can definitely see the Patlabor similarities. Guess it's little wonder that I like Patlabor too :)

• 2 years later...

I'd seen Runaway posters at a local video store as a kid long, long ago, and distinctly remembered the robot spiders and a cop (Seleck) with a big gun. For some reason, I got it confused with Bladerunner, also featuring a similar looking cop (Harrison Ford) with big gun. So I downloaded Bladerunner and watched it, hoping for robot spiders. Sadly, no spiders.

What's even weirder is that Spielberg had originally approached Seleck to play Indiana Jones.

Wow this thread is back? :blink:

Funny Sundown should mention the movie poster from Runaway... Selleck is shown holding the heat seeking rocket gun that Gene Simmon's evil badguy character used in the movie (his character never used it)... Selleck's cop character Ramsey actually was using a Colt custom shop 1911A1 in the movie. He is also shown wearing the "Static Suit" from his encounter with the household trashcan robot weilding that .357 and with that suit he had a cool palm-sized laser pistol.

For as stupid and goofy as Runaway is I loved that movie in the '80s.

No they are heat signature guided rockets.

348733[/snapback]

That only worked against non-hero characters in the movie. :p

Ramsey dodges about a hundred of those things and the female partner he has, when she does get shot, the one that hits her has a dud detonator and they pry it out of her arm.

No they are heat signature guided rockets.

348733[/snapback]

That only worked against non-hero characters in the movie. :p

348738[/snapback]

Yeah, that was so awesome... Nobody can dodge them, except for Tom.