Southcross Model Monstrosities

Southcross

I have chosen a name for my “projects”

Southcross Model Monstrosities, where “bigger is better”

I have several projects still in the design stage, but the “Paper Monster” sounds like a fun start. ETA (Estimated Time to Assemble), 9 Days with dry fit and glue drying (if I figure out how I can paint it, maybe longer). Southcross difficulty rating: 2 Cases of Beer (due to the rough, un-translated instructions).

The "Paper Monster" posted in September is my starting point: (http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=1026) though it’s not big enough!

Basic estimates will make this larger version 177% larger (2 dimensionally) or 2.35 times bigger assembled. I could make it bigger (and will probably at a later date), but thought this was a good starting point.

Day 1 *Friday YAY!*

OK, I changed the dpi of the original images to resize them as "11x15" images (they became a tad bit grainy blown up but the printer will take care of that), converted them to PDF for printing... its freekin’ 21MB!

Printed the parts off on a Xerox Docutech6135 production machine

Onto:11x17 65# Cougar Opaque Cover stock (in laymen’s terms its the same as they typical 90# card stock, but higher grade and on a different "weight" scale).

Printed it Weighs 1.20lbs!

Day 2

I figured out I’m a bit unprepared for doing this... I did locate my x-actos... Can't find my straight edge... I have no cutting surface... I found my only bottle of glue is a solid brick... Until I can get to a craft store... this might take a while

I took a measurement of the barrel and adjoining surfaces. The approx overall length is going to be around 24”. If the model is actually to correct scale, the paper model will be between approximately 1/60 and 1/72.

Ok I have two images so far of this Beast (I through on a $5 bill for scale):

First is a picture of one of the 11x17’s (has a piece of the fuselage)

Second is a picture of the pieces for one of the legs (not assembled, just cut out and folded) The Foot is nearly the size of the Bill… this is gonna rock ;) Now I just need to find the time to stop at a hobby/craft shop.

DCP_0027.jpg

Edited by Southcross

We all have Solscud to thank for the original scans.

I am glad to see my Photoshoped version of this Monster has gotten around. I spent alot of time cleaning up all the graphics and adding some extra details. I also cut out all the color around the parts so you wouldnt have to print a full color sheet just color on the parts. The originals were full color sheets and I didnt want to waste all that extra laser toner.

Before you get to far into your project since you seem to have the resources, I still have all my original photoshop files for anyone that wants to scale this up and retain details and not have it get so grainy. You could also easily change the colors.

A trick I used on mine was to use markers to color the folded edges of the parts, so when the paper splits at the folds you dont have abunch of white showing. Something else I would do if I do another is to print black on the on the back side of the four barrels. If you dont want to print the black make sure you at least use black marker on the barrels so you dont have yucky white showing inside. Another area to watch is where the cannons mount, that houseing needs to be printed or black markered also.

When your two weeks into the project and still not half done (assuming you have work and family getting in the way), dont get discouraged its worth all the effort. I love mine and would never consider parting with it out of all Macross Mecha Its about my favorite.

Edited by Spiff

I knew people would want the files I just didnt expect the rush to begin so soon! I will put the files up on a server for download later tonight and edit this post and add the links. I will offer two downloads one for the JPGs and one for the PSDs. The PSDs will be a much larger file.

Stay tuned, and Southcross I appologize for the minor threadjacking. :rolleyes:

I knew people would want the files I just didnt expect the rush to begin so soon! I will put the files up on a server for download later tonight and edit this post and add the links. I will offer two downloads one for the JPGs and one for the PSDs. The PSDs will be a much larger file.

Stay tuned, and Southcross I appologize for the minor threadjacking. :rolleyes:

hehe, no... I extend great thanks out to you for making these files... if you have the original Photoshop files :drool:

When I try to make this bad boy even bigger I am really gonna want those files ;)

As for coloring, I'm toying with water color or maybe diluted acrylics. As for "breaking folds" thats once of the advantages of the Cougar Opaque... its a medium fiber paper, not long like typical card stock. you have to make a sooper sharp fold to get it to crack.

Unless you do what I did... I use a ballpoint pen to create "creases" on the back side to help with folding... just becareful what you use as a backing surface (Psst! I punched a whole in on of the pieces, don't tell anyone :looks around: :( )

While the machines are running at work, I'm working on my Ver 3.0 Paper Monster... bigger and bader than the one I'm building right now.

I'm cleaning up all the graphics, text, and fine details... I'm also creating some artwork like Insignias... feedback? I'm not the best artist, if you would like to put your hands into the pot please let me know... I can post the PSD.

EDIT---

The text is not very sharp on screen, but should look better printed at about 1 1/4" x 1"

Nother EDIT---

re-tweaked the image

Komodo-Insignia3.gif

Edited by Southcross

Ok.. 'bout time for an update! First I had to go shopping at a craft store.

came across Elmers Glue-All Pens... They are very expensive compared to normal Elmers glue (4 tiny tubes), double the cost of a medium bottle of Glue. Figured with a small nozel I could use them for fine stuff and the big bottle for the big glue jobs. Well I can say this, once I opened one up I discovered they are refillable!! I recommend to anyone doing a paper model, pick up one of these packs and a bottle of glue to refill them... they rock!

Also I did figure out quickly, but not quickly enough (had to do some surgery to some parts) that "open" and unsupported areas require some reinforcement. Found out the hard way when I tried to stick the shaft on the legs and the opening on the legs tore.

supplies_reinforcement.jpg

Edited by Southcross

I have been thinking of "name" for my Ver 3.0 Monster... Took me a while but the name "Old Scar Face" can to mind... I AM "Evil" Southcross B))

EDIT----

Its going to need a little tweaking

Nother EDIT----

I think this will work

Old_Scar_Face.jpg

Edited by Southcross

I disagree, a lot of the destroids have logos on the legs particularly on the front, I think it's cool.

But I see what your saying about the "say hello to my little friend" being on the leg. I was thinking that referred to the Monster as a whole and not just a particular weapon part.

I disagree, a lot of the destroids have logos on the legs particularly on the front, I think it's cool.

But I see what your saying about the "say hello to my little friend" being on the leg. I was thinking that referred to the Monster as a whole and not just a particular weapon part.

hmmm... :scratch head: I see your point... hrmmm... I kind of meant the "say hello to my little friend" as a whole and not one specific "weapon" gonna have to think about this

thanks for the feedback guys (err grrrls?)

I dunno if it helps you any, but in general the Destroids sport their nose art on their feet, legs, hips. There are only two that I can think of that didn't. A Spartan that had a shark's mouth on it's snout, and a modified Monster with the name Starslam on it's cheek.

That is of course, strictly semi official model/drawing picture wise. B))

OMG!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But, that's a cool model you got there. :)

Is sitting center piece at my dining room table. I can't wait for my next "session" to work on it.

I spent about 6 hours lastnight while the machines were running making "barrel inserts" to cover up the "open" barrels. Now I just need to figure out what else needs coverying up when ver 3.0 is put together.

I also created some new "warning" graphics, not sure if I'm going to use them or not. Too bad they are at work.

EDIT----

I made a collage... err... colage... err... how ever you spell it ;)

Nother EDIT----

I made a new COLLAGE

smm_collage1.gif

Edited by Southcross

The bore rifling will look cool. Just having the inside of the barrel exposed does look like something is missing.

I kind of had to fudge as I don't know the "scale" the 3.0 will be, I know its going to be between 1/50 and 1/60 (yep, there is a good possibility its going to be bigger than the Yamato) :D

I designed the Muzzle cap and the diameter of the bore based on a 1/50th scale of 16" (about 406mm), making the bore .32" (about .228 for the v2.0). Its going to be intricate to put together (its very very tiny). But I was able to dry-assemble one out of plain paper, my pocket knife, and a piece of tape. It looked awesome! Wish I had it at home to take a pic of it.

The rifling will be cool but I think you should reverse the colors. The thin lines would be the recessed part and would therefore be darker than the rest of the surrounding material.

Grayson I already thought of that, but here is the reasoning why black is the primary color... its dark and you can't "see" the bottom. With black I can get away with the bore being only about 3/4 - 1". With light gray I probably would have to make it more like 3-4" so you can't "see" the bottom. If the bore was 3-4" long and only about 1/4" in diameter, it would be an evil evil thing to put together. Otherwise I agree...

The rifling will be cool but I think you should reverse the colors.  The thin lines would be the recessed part and would therefore be darker than the rest of the surrounding material.

Grayson I already thought of that, but here is the reasoning why black is the primary color... its dark and you can't "see" the bottom. With black I can get away with the bore being only about 3/4 - 1". With light gray I probably would have to make it more like 3-4" so you can't "see" the bottom. If the bore was 3-4" long and only about 1/4" in diameter, it would be an evil evil thing to put together. Otherwise I agree...

one last thought, if you wanted the deep bore look and still reverse the colors all you'd have to do is glue the rifling to the inside of the barrel before you roll it.

The rifling will be cool but I think you should reverse the colors.  The thin lines would be the recessed part and would therefore be darker than the rest of the surrounding material.

one last thought, if you wanted the deep bore look and still reverse the colors all you'd have to do is glue the rifling to the inside of the barrel before you roll it.

thats a thought, but looking at a paper thin barrel just erks me. Even though I'm sure this model isn't an accurate scale dimensionally, but I like to have a little "feasable" accuracy. Another option would be to make a "cone" shaped bore, kind of an optical illusion... just not sure how to get the effect (I can visualize it, but not sure how to do it "correctly" in Photoshop)

I worked on a "tapered" bore for about three hours... and after ripping my hair out for the effort.. I give up... the bore is gonna be black... and black it is! If you want to try to make the lineart to make a gray bore with black rifling, let me know and I can PM you the dimensions... I'd appreciate the help, but I can't take the frustration.

OK, this one I will really need some feedback on... as I am not sure what color it should be red/yellow/orange/shades... :unsure:

I want to put "air intake" warning marks around the... well... intake ;)

collage2.gif

Edited by Southcross