Robotech Remastered. . . Not Animeigo's Footage!

Hurin

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. . .

I dropped by the RT forums this morning and saw this:

As a proffesional Video and Film Editor, I have additional insight into the Remastered Robotech DVD's. I bought mine last night even though I heard a great deal of bad reviews. I hoped that it wouldn't be as bad as some people made it out to be, and in some cases it wasn't. But, I was still dissapointed in a number of things. Most of them involving picture quality.

I know for sure the remastered series footage is NOT Animeigo's restored footage. I can tell that it was simply a new film transfer. You can tell by the jumps in frame position on the cuts between shots. Animeigo fixed those shifts. Also, the image looks grainy, indicating the source was films stock. As I think about it, it may have even been from 16mm stock which is typicly extra grainy because it is a smaller frame of film then traditional movie sized film (About half the size). It did appear that a color correction was done on the film, because the colors are very nice. I also noticed some scenes were VERY pixely (specificly the opening bridge scene in "Countdown"). This was more then likely a poor DVD encode issue. But it shocked me how bad it was! If I, as an editor, recieved that footage to edit, I would have said "We should not edit this master, we need a better one". Two more points on video; one is, the opening credits. Now THAT is from the Animeigo restored footage! It is what I hoped the rest of the series would be! . . .

Maybe this has already been discovered. But I for one am shocked that HG would re-invent the wheel again. . . poorly. . . when they already helped finance the Animeigo remaster of SDF Macross (didn't they?).

Anyways. . . just plain odd.

Not that I care much. I wouldn't have bought the Robotech Remastered DVDs. . . well, maybe just one. . . for nostalgia/curiosity purposes. :)

H

It is on dual layer discs instead of the singles Animeigo used. Something in the bit rate or transfer could possible have affected it, right?

bitrate's don't affect transition jumps that were removed :)

I'd be more included to think ADV just "wanted" everyone to think they were using ADV's Animeigo's master so people would think they were getting the same thing...which they're not!

Edited by Keith

I'd be more included to think ADV just "wanted" everyone to think they were using ADV's master so people would think they were getting the same thing...which they're not!

I think you meant to write "Animeigo's master".

AgentONE yes there was a thread about it, and it overflowed briefly into the HG/BW legal debate thread, but unless I'm mistaken the conclusion in both cases was that ADV was going to use the Animeigo master. The point of controversy was whether HG had the right to simply "claim" the Animeigo master and hand it over to ADV. The news that ADV didn't use the Animeigo master (if true) suggests that they didn't.

They even said on the RT site they were using Animeigo's restored footage.

Goes to show once again, even with a perfect master on their laps, HG still manages to screw it up. <_<

Could they have stupidly used the masters they gave to Animeigo for clean-up instead of what Animeigo produced?

Edited by Anubis

the opening credits. Now THAT is from the Animeigo restored footage! It is what I hoped the rest of the series would be!

Just a moment....doesn't the Macross footage only account for roughly half of the RT opening credits? Are we supposed to believe that ADV spliced in the restored Animeigo footage into the credits? Something doesn't make sense here....

the opening credits. Now THAT is from the Animeigo restored footage! It is what I hoped the rest of the series would be!

Just a moment....doesn't the Macross footage only account for roughly half of the RT opening credits? Are we supposed to believe that ADV spliced in the restored Animeigo footage into the credits? Something doesn't make sense here....

They apparently decided to get rid of the old intro and put in the 3 original series intros in each specific saga.

Crap like this should not surprize me from HG, and I've stopped trying to understand the mechanics. I am not buying anything RT anyway. Maybe a Legoiss when the price is right (since there's no alternative), but that's it.

For the latest round of bull#$@%, check out the HG debate thread.

DYRL posables!!!

They apparently decided to get rid of the old intro and put in the 3 original series intros in each specific saga.

Ohhhh...I see. Probably to make it more XTREME!!!!!!, right?

Maybe they're trying to slowly ween Robotechies onto the original series so they can ditch Robotech. :rolleyes: A guy can dream can't he. :p

Maybe they're trying to slowly ween Robotechies onto the original series so they can ditch Robotech. :rolleyes: A guy can dream can't he. :p

You may be more right than you know. Combine this with the news of DYRL superunposeable toys, and suddenly things begin to fall into place. Maybe their vaunted RT2004 anime fell through, and HG has decided to do some hardcore milking of the Macross franchise.

Yep so if you bought the box sets for the original ones with the bonus discs they had out they included the intros from all three shows and the missing footage so no need to by the remasters. :D