Air Force Delta Strike

mikeszekely

I finnaly got around to getting this game (gee aren't I late for the party) so far it's pretty good. Controls aren't exactly Ace Combat and neither are the graphics but I can get used to it. The dialogue wasn't that bad either, the second mission I felt like I was working with the 08th MS Team, and the dialogue at base lightens up the seriousness of being on the loosing end of a war.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a mission where you have to defend a Red Cross Hospital Ship from air attack. The only pilot you can choose for this mission is Ruth.

I'm just wondering has anybody managed to complete this mission with the hospital ship still intact at the end?

While I can get through the mission, every time I play the hospital ship is destroyed by the end. I shoot down the 3 'named' enemy aces, plus several of the unnamed enemy cannon fodder planes, but there are just too many enemy planes and I run out of missiles before I can destroy them all.

Graham

Theres a mission where you have to defend a Red Cross Hospital Ship from air attack. The only pilot you can choose for this mission is Ruth.

I'm just wondering has anybody managed to complete this mission with the hospital ship still intact at the end?

While I can get through the mission, every time I play the hospital ship is destroyed by the end. I shoot down the 3 'named' enemy aces, plus several of the unnamed enemy cannon fodder planes, but there are just too many enemy planes and I run out of missiles before I can destroy them all.

Graham

It's not possible. The hospital ship going down is a scripted event.

I just got the game this afternoon (used, and traded in another game--grand total of 14 bucks invested). I will of course have a full critique once I'm done, but so far:

Kinda jaggy, but looks ok. Models not as "sculpted" as AC4's. Most noticeable with the Tomcat.

I think pitch-down is too weak, pitch-up too strong, and rolling too slow. I don't like how the camera deals with yaw, always messes me up when I'm trying to yaw like 2 degrees to line up a shot.

Turns bleed speed! Probably the biggest failure in AC4's physics model. You CAN'T go Mach 2 in a 90-degree bank. Man, if they accurately model the differences between planes here, it'll add a LOT to realism. (I still don't have any planes I know well enough to try to compare--need some F-14/15/16/18)

Going *really* slow means you have p*ss-poor control! Also quite nice. No Cobra manuevers starting at 110kts...

I really hated the "carriers disguised as ice floes" mission. Took like 10 tries. Used F-105, always got hit. When I finally won, I had *10* HP. Still don't know what hit me half the time, I'd be way away from everybody, yet my HP just kept dropping.

*Totally* rocked at the Hospital ship mission. (got my F-20 and AMRAAM's) If it was possible to save it, I would have done so.

Overall---actually more sim-ish than AC4 due to physics (don't be trying 9G moves in a Thud), and quite fun, once you totally remap the controls. (I did it like AC4, but made square my airbrake, and triangle "target forward"---there's rarely enough enemies to make it worth having "target back", I think it's D-pad L or something)

PS--nitpick time. The F-5A looks like the F-5E, and it shouldn't. No LEX's on the early ones, that's what makes the F-5E the *Tiger II*, and not an F-5A/B/C/D Freedom Figther. F-14 (from the few secs I've seen) looks to have the same control surface modeling probs as AC4. As in, totally wrong. Will check out the F-4 and Tornado tomorrow.

PPS--they made the A-7 way too slow. It's slow, but not THAT slow. It's basically a fat, afterburner-less F-8. It shouldn't be 100kts below an A-10. :p (I'm annoyed, for A-7's were our ANG planes for years, I grew up watching them)

Two question for those who've had this for a while...

How do I get the rest of Jamie's planes, all I have are Lighting and the Mustang. Every time I go to the shop Harry always tells me there' no planes to sell.

How do I get Ellen, do I just shoot down Albert with Ken everytime Albert shows up?

Edited by Druna Skass

Let's see. Currently trying to beat canyon mission, attempt 4. Can get to the end easily enough, but then the 3 guns in the center plaster me in 5 secs, then the baddies catch up and missile me from behind.

Anways:

F-14 is so wrong it's not even funny. And it's an A, 100%. Not a D at all, even has PW engines. At least they made it rock, though.

Why does the F-16 roll sluggish compared to the F-15? And it's not a block 50.

I don't think I've seen a plane yet use differential stabilizers. Big no-no, IMHO. Don't see spoilers either. F-4's not as good as AC4's--no stabs, wrong wing. But they got the aileron movement right.

YF-17 shouldn't have the strakes above the LEX's.

Man, even I didn't know there were THAT many Flanker variants. Programmer's got to have a Flanker fetish. (And an afterburner fetish, for thrust/speed/power/AB levels are totally off)

What's up with Brian's planes having NO power? A-4's aren't that bad, yeesh, the Blue Angels used them...

Biggest current annoyance: no AMRAAM's on the Sea Harrier FRS.2---that is the reason for that variant's existence. That's like having an F-14D without GE engines...oh wait... (Plus making the AV-8B and Shar the same---Shar's are more agile and faster)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Let's see. Currently trying to beat canyon mission, attempt 4. Can get to the end easily enough, but then the 3 guns in the center plaster me in 5 secs, then the baddies catch up and missile me from behind.

God I hated that mission, I was able to get through it using the F-15E. It's high HP was the only way I got through that mission.

When I beat the canyon mission (about 3 more tries), I basically stayed low, circled back TOWARDS the canyon as soon as I could to go after the baddies, then made one long slow loop along the rim, taking out all the fans in a single pass. Of course, I got tossed about a bit, but I think going really slow helps--you travel less distance in the 1.5 secs you're totally out of control, minimizing odds of hitting wall.

Well, let's see:

F-15U: interesting concept, haven't bought it yet.

FB-22: neat! Haven't actually used it yet. :) (Though they give it the X-44 name)

YF-23: of course, utterly rocks, better than the F-22 in all categories. :) I had to repaint it, no pink YF-23's for me! Control scheme totally wrong, they have it set up like a delta-wing, using the flaps as elevons. Yeah. But due to using the ruddervators as rudders (which it shouldn't) it has AMAZING yaw control. Physical model surprisingly good, and they even did the moving trench exhaust right. No gun though. Accurate for the prototype, but the real thing would have had a gun.

F/A-22: can't turn worth sh*t, anyone know why? Power seems a bit low, too.

Yet more Flankers. Su-27LL (PS)U something something. Seriously, like 6 letters after "27". Apparently the very first Flanker to have vectoring nozzles.

F/A-18E: Brian's first good plane. Surprisingly well-modeled, though I think the speed brakes may be off. (But hey, a lot of places get it TOTALLY wrong---Super Hornet's have an entirely different speed brake system than regular's--I'm quite surprised they got as close as they did).

X-29. Bought it because it was cheap. :)

More F-14 analysis: pylons in wrong spot (forgot to mention last time), Phoenixes aren't Phoenixes, and while it DOES have a dual chinpod, it's two of the same pods...

YF-12A: surprisingly accurate. (asides from the flight model, which is off by about 1000% in most aspects). Fun though. And free.

PS--I love the YF-17. Because it's what the Hornet SHOULD have been. Superior in most every way. :)

It's exactly what an "F-15XL" would be.

PS--update. Final mission. As you might imagine, there's a LOT of stuff to blow up. I am beyond ticked, for having gotten to the very final thing to blow up, I've run out of missiles. And there's no gun in the YF-23!!!! I have died, staring at the final "boss".

I've tried high-end ferrite-coated Flankers (wtih guns), but there's enough baddies in the area that I usually die, or am low enough on HP to not make it to the end. (need the ultra-high stealth of the YF-23, or insane agility--or both) Sigh. If I had like 10 more missiles, I'd be watching the credits...

(Yes, I'm trying to win with Ruth--F/A-22 unavailable, and I don't have anything *really* good for John). Think I'll try some more YF-23 runs, and try to conserve missiles. (Gotta work out the best strategy on the 2nd-to-last thing--I used like 50 missiles, I know it's got to take less than that)

I really hated the "carriers disguised as ice floes" mission. Took like 10 tries. Used F-105, always got hit. When I finally won, I had *10* HP. Still don't know what hit me half the time, I'd be way away from everybody, yet my HP just kept dropping.

I found the easiest way to beat this mission was to use the SU-25 Frogfoot with FAE bombs.

Fly high to avoid the carriers SAMs, then when you are nearly above the carrier, dive down, salvo a couple of regular missiles to take out the top launcher then drop 2 to 3 FAE bombs to take out the carrier. Then get back up high again to avoid the SAMs from the small submarines or boats or whatever they are that are lurking around.

Graham

Won, only needed *3* more missiles than I had the last time. :p (Took like 10 more tries to get to the end again). Go with the YF-23. :)

Graham--next time I'm using my FB-22 on that mission. :)

New planes:

Vic Viper--not all that wonderful, like a YF-23 with less power and more HP.

F-15ACTIVE: ironically, AC4 has an S/MTD but they call it an ACTIVE. This game has an ACTIVE, but they call it an S/MTD. Sigh--circle vs rectangle, that's the difference. Most people learn circles and rectangles at the age of 3 or 4. Haven't flown it yet. (hey, I'm getting planes faster than I'm flying missions).

X-32: not bought on account of fugliness.

F/A-35Bâ„¢ : not yet bought on account of low funds.

HiMat: sure it's agile, but sucks in all other categories. Skipped.

F-102: can do anything, poorly. But cheap, bought it just to have it.

More Flankers. :rolleyes: Umm, Su-30MKI, and a single-engined variant. And a modified Su-35. And another Su-30something. And probably others I haven't looked at yet. Yes folks, 130 planes, with 110 of them being Flankers.

At the moment, I'm stuck on that nighttime mission where you have to fly to a city and take out all the radar sites, the ones that have blue cone-shape radar beams.

I can successfully take out all the radar sites, but what the heck do you do next? I'm guessing it's something to do with the big building (space elevator?) in the center of the city, but I can't find a target and by the time I take out all the radar sites, I'm usually down to a minute or less of time.

Oh, and I've been using the A-10 for this mission. Gotta love the loadout of 110 rockets! Love the A-10 and I think this is the first air combat console game I've played where the programmers have actually made the A-10's gun different to other plane's guns. In the Ace Combat series, the A-10's gun usually has the same firing sound and damage as all other guns.

Oh and David, have you got the Eurofighter yet? If yes, which character gets it and what's it like to fly?

Graham

I can successfully take out all the radar sites, but what the heck do you do next? I'm guessing it's something to do with the big building (space elevator?) in the center of the city, but I can't find a target and by the time I take out all the radar sites, I'm usually down to a minute or less of time.

Oh and David, have you got the Eurofighter yet? If yes, which character gets it and what's it like to fly?

Graham

After you take out the radars you need to take out Pierre too.

John gets the EF-2000

Has anyone been able to unlock Ellen and if so, how?

I always use an F-14 for the night/radar mission. Why? Because you can zap Pierre from 10 miles away with a Phoenix. Makes life easier, rather than trying to dogfight inbetween 200 buildings and Vietnam-level SAM's. F-15ACTIVE works too.

Thus Graham---you probably want something besides an A-10 to take down Pierre. :) The F-14 (heck, all the planes, since it's not a sim) can get quite slow, plenty enough to fly around inside the radar areas. Pierre likes to hang out right in the middle of the city, so dodge those mobile radars like crazy--they will zap you faster than almost anything else in the game.

PS--are you trying to take out ALL the radar? You only need to take out any one of the "corner" ones, then zip inside and kill the core. I died several times trying to kill ALL the radars in each "clump".

Haven't bought an EF-2000 yet (I think 2 people get it, not just John), since I got my S-37 at the same time.

Currently going for Ellen. Quasi-confirmed theory is that in every mission in which she or Albert appears, you must shoot them down, WITH KEN. I just beat the canyon mission as such (Used Mig 1.44 of all things) so should be downhill from that point.

I'm not sure what triggers what. There's certainly something similar with John/Francine.

Also, this time around (yeah, Phase 9 of second runthrough) I didn't get Ruth's hospital ship mission.

From what I can see, for most things, you pretty much have to use that character all the way through, with few exceptions. As in, despite using Ruth 80% of the time, and winning with her, I still missed one of "her" missions, and "her" ending. (I think you need Ellen too, for Ruth's final stuff).

Currently stuck (again) at the Leopold barrel mission. So easy, but 100% luck IMHO. Just depends on its firing sequence. If it does a "center" one after a side, you're screwed. Also annoyingly, sometimes 4 missiles won't take it out, and I have to go through AGAIN. Using John, as this has a Francine encounter just before it (one of those "intercept" missions). I like F-15's for this mission, power/acceleration---the faster you get through the barrel, the less chances it has to fire at you. No plane can run down it faster (unless you can line up from far away and dive right it--I like to get beside it, and make a hard turn right into it, then run down it as fast as I can, hitting the airbrakes at the last second to slow to hit the target) Whew!

PS--are you trying to take out ALL the radar? You only need to take out any one of the "corner" ones, then zip inside and kill the core. I died several times trying to kill ALL the radars in each "clump".

Yep, I've been killing every radar in each clump. :D

I'll try the mission again with the F-14 then.

Graham

PS--in the "I don't believe this" category, they got the F-35 perfect, and it's even a production version with cascades for the lift-fan exhaust. Of all the planes to "get right" it's that one, and not the YF-23...

PPS--don't hit the airbrakes in an F-35, for you will STOP and go through the "transformation" sequence. (They got all the little details) Just as slowly as the real thing. It can get out of it a bit faster though. It's still by far the best VSTOL you can buy, just reduce speed by turning (it bleeds speed like few others), not by airbrakes. (Which for VTOL's means "move nozzles to hover") Still, nothing like a vertical afterburning hover in a JSF while taking on Flankers... :)

PPPS---I was liking the F-35 quite a bit, until I realized I DIDN'T HAVE A GUN. FB-22 doesn't have one either.

::edit:: Oh yeah--I believe some planes become available through sheer progression through the game, but most are simply "1 for each mission you complete with that character". And it has to be a real mission, not a "Standby" mission using up the rest of the phase. For Brian, it's easiest to just wait until the Super Hornet is available (progression, phase 7 or 8 I think), then use it to win a few missions to earn more planes for him. Honestly, he's got nothing good besides the Super Hornet, since there's almost no mission which is totally lacking in enemy fighters. Super Hornet is the only plane so far with any anti-air for him.

I think that in general, "good" planes are from progression through the story, while all the "other" stuff comes from # of missions completed with that character.

Edited by David Hingtgen

So basicaly what it comes down to, in order to get everything you need to play through the whole thing with one main character (I.E. every time the 3rd element is avaliable, use Ken)?

I guess this is the closest to confirming that you can use Ellen until someone here pulls it off, there's an aircraft list for all the usable characters at gamefaqs and Ellen is listed there.

Hey boys. Shin culdnt get his ahdns on this because a lethal menace named DISC READ ERROR rendered my PS2 obselete. Yes I opened it and stuff. long story.

anyways. Seems you boys are having LOTS of fun with strike here. I mean this thread has grown into a big thread likle most of our aviation threads. Now what I wonder is this.

It seems that uppon first imprression this game wasnt as good as avc4. BUt I noticed as the weeks went on, seems you guys got more and more into it.

So as of now...how do you compare it to Ac4? What do you like? Does it got more depth? it seems a lot harder and has a lot more optiionbs and definitely not as linaer as Ac4. So wat ya think? come on folks lets have it! and would you recommend it?

BTW if any new planes pop up please post or link to sites with new air plane pics. I have seen sites with soem planes but not all.

Yes, I have gotten more into this game the more I've played it. Although at the moment, I'm so busy, I'm lucky if I can fit in 1 to 2 hours a week to play it. :(

My biggest two gripes with this game are that there is no instant retry button if you die in a mission. It just takes too damn long cycling back through the menus to try a mission again.

The other thing that really annoys me (which I have mentioned before), is that I find the characters behavior and dialog extremely childish and annoying. Whenever there is a scene with characters talking to each other, I hardly ever read/listen to what they are saying and just skip through it as fast as possible. I may be missing a lot of the character's backstory, but who cares! I bought the game to fly planes and blow crap up, not listen to a buncha whinney, angst-ridden dweebs behave in such a way that if these were real people, I would probably slap them.....hard!

Anyway, I do find the game harder than the AC series. The missions are definitely more challenging, especially the ground attack missions, where sometimes you really need to think hard about how to actually complete the mission. I also love the variety of enemies, with my favorite so far being those big wheelie things.

I think overall I still prefer AC4 by a slight margin, but it is close. If Delta Strike had less annoying characters and an instant retry feature then I would definitely like it more than AC4.

Graham

Got Ellen! Yup, just gotta shoot down Albert and Ellen every time they show up, and with Ken. (And even if only one of them shows up). Note, there is a mission with Albert (the last mission before you get her) that you do not need to (and I don't think you even CAN) take him down. I'll try to avoid spoilers:

Immediately after "Up Stream" (the last one where you need to take down Ellen, the "elevator" mission), you'll have another mission at the same location. "Meteor Rise" I think. Albert's there, but this is a "mission goals" ONLY fight. You can safely ignore him. (I did--I even looked, but he doesn't show up on radar, or is so far away he's off-screen) BTW, since you need to use Ken here, you'll want the F-22. No other plane of his has the raw power required, not even Flankers. (You will spend a LOT of time at very high altitudes, in vertical climbs) Agility and speed are pointless here, it's all about thrust/weight ratio.

Anyways--her default colors are much like Ruth's, but redder. Initial plane is a Tornado F3 (finally, but it's already outclassed the moment you get it), next plane is--you guessed it, a Flanker. Su-33 "Flanker E". This is your standard Su-27 with canards, nothing more. She gets a new call-sign and insignia too, but I won't spoil it unless people ask. (And something else changes, too).

Shin: for an AC4 comparison. Basically, it is noticeably graphically and musically inferior to AC4. Plane control surfaces and flight characteristics are further off. However, the flight model is a touch more realistic. And there's a LOT of planes. And the missions are certainly unique. I still think it's not as good as AC4, but let's face it--AC4 rocks. It's like saying "this isn't quite as good as Super Mario Bros 3"---nothing likely ever will be. AFDS is still quite good, and certainly the best flying game since, and one of the best ever. Story isn't all that deep (I love AC4's story, small as it is), but it's neat, and the replay value is insanely high, with the various pilots. I know I've got to go through a 3rd time to get some more missions opened up.

PS--more gripes: F-4E is rated the same for turning as the F-16, and OUTRANKS it in thrust. Sheer numbers, yes, but the thrust ratio is far inferior. Also, the F-15ACTIVE and F-15E are single-seat. The F-15 is probably the toughest of all planes to tell single from dual seats (since it's so big, the canopy change is subtle), but they are single-seat.

PPS---I currently recommend the F-16 for the Leopold/Railgun/Barrel mission. Sheer size. Noticeably slower than an F-15 flat-out, but better pitch and yaw response---VERY important in this mission. Also, this mission is one of the few with NO aerial enemies, and almost nothing on the ground. You can use ANY plane. (There is an intercept before it, but you will likely die many times trying this mission, so go do the intercept with an F-15C or something, then go back and save---you'll have plenty of spare turns). Finally--my current (hey, works 50% of the time--that's great compared to others) is to stay in the bottom barrel, and only move out of it when it's firing. I still gotta try the X-29 and YF-17 in this mission, they may be even better.

:;edit:: I typed so long Graham got his reply in before me. Another thing is that AFDS has many more missions than AC4. At least twice as many. Am I the only who doesn't find the voicing annoying? I'm ok with it. I don't LIKE it, but I don't really care. And I always enjoy backstory, even if it is generic. Ruth and Holst actually have the longest ones so far.

Edited by David Hingtgen

wow thats cool guys. Thanks for teling me. man I am jsut missing out. Ever since PS2 went AWOL on me and stuff. I LOVE how the VSZTOL is actually put into strike and I LOVE how the fflight model is a touch above AC4. to be onest AC4 wasnt that bad till you start dogfighting newbs....your friends who rarely even touch sims...once they realize all theyt gotta do to dogdge you is light the burner and turn......well dogfighting gets a bit taxing because thats all they do. So with that it just ends up boring. Now single campign is where AC4 just shines...and that I like since its more in depth. I also like how it has SO many damn planes in strike AND vietnam era jets!

I think with so many flankers and eagles, konami just got lazy and forgot to add additional seats in teh ACTIV and E models. Also there must be someone witha flanker fetish because it seems like overkill in that game. I guess they got the idea from AC2-4? weird. but still seems interestin and I certainly want to try it out. shoot if I get a new PS2 this one aint a rent, im BUYIN this game.

Honestly, I get hit less in this game than AC4. While missiles seem even MORE likely to hit, I find it much easier to dodge them. Except SAM's, or if multiple people get on you--you are so dead (or at least, hurt really bad) if that happens. Don't expect it to be at all sim-ish, just SLIGHTLY more realistic than AC4.

Stealth has a huge effect, the YF-23 will almost NEVER get a missile launched at it, unless you pretty much hover over a launcher.

It's still 44.99 at my local Gamestop. Wal-Mart fares a lil better at retail of $39.99. I think I will wait a lil bit until I can getit for $30. One of those games that I don't feel like paying too much for. Maybe I should check online.

• 2 weeks later...

Arghhhh....guys need help.

Somebody please tell me what the heck you are supposed to do in the mission 'Hyper Speed Rick' (the recon mission)?

At the start of the mission, you are told to fly straight forward, so I fly forward over the first of the enemy bases (shown as yellow dots on the mini-map). After flying over the first of the bases, red dots (which usually designate primary targets) appear on the mini-map.

I know you are not supposed to destroy any targets as this is explained in the briefing and your back-seater Harry, tells you off if you fire at anything and anyway the YF-12(?) only has 4 missiles.

So I figure being a recon mission, the idea is to fly over all the enemy bases (all the target dots on the mini-map), so I do this several times unitil I run out of time and I still get mission failed.

What do I need to do to complete this mission? Getting very frustrated :angry: !!!!!!

Graham

Arghhhh....guys need help.

Somebody please tell me what the heck you are supposed to do in the mission 'Hyper Speed Rick' (the recon mission)?

At the start of the mission, you are told to fly straight forward, so I fly forward over the first of the enemy bases (shown as yellow dots on the mini-map). After flying over the first of the bases, red dots (which usually designate primary targets) appear on the mini-map.

I know you are not supposed to destroy any targets as this is explained in the briefing and your back-seater Harry, tells you off if you fire at anything and anyway the YF-12(?) only has 4 missiles.

So I figure being a recon mission, the idea is to fly over all the enemy bases (all the target dots on the mini-map), so I do this several times unitil I run out of time and I still get mission failed.

What do I need to do to complete this mission? Getting very frustrated :angry: !!!!!!

Graham

First just fly around till Harry shuts-up, then lock onto the target and just fly towards it until Harry says something, then you move on to the next one.

I always use an F-14 for the night/radar mission. Why? Because you can zap Pierre from 10 miles away with a Phoenix. Makes life easier, rather than trying to dogfight inbetween 200 buildings and Vietnam-level SAM's. F-15ACTIVE works too.

Thus Graham---you probably want something besides an A-10 to take down Pierre. :) The F-14 (heck, all the planes, since it's not a sim) can get quite slow, plenty enough to fly around inside the radar areas

David, actually, I managed to take down Pierre using the A-10 and did it very easily as well. :D

Almost as soon as I got to the city I saw Pierre and took him out almost at once with a salvo of rockets and a burst from the cannon. As the A-10 turns better than most other planes, it was easy to out-turn Pierre and walk my cannon fire and rockets into him.

Graham

I played for ahwile until I even realized the phases and turns/time thing. Serves me right for not reading the manual fully.

So far, I'm enjoying it, not quite as much as AC4, but a solid second place winner. The insane number of planes and characters help, the story is semi interesting...the voice acting...well, I wish US voice actors in games didn't sound like dubbed anime. And yes, the script sometimes just makes me laugh out loud. I mean, at least the radio chatter in AC4 sounded realistic. In AFDS, some of it sounds just kooky with the "you're a butt-wipe!" and stuff.

But yes, I'm having fun with it nonetheless.

Ack! I hate that Night Blitz Stage with Pierre. Pierre isn't too bad, it's flying through all those towers/girders/radar thingies. It was just a little boring.

I'm now on the Metro stage through the tunnel...I shoulda used Alex more....I still only have his starting jet and I suck with the prop planes.