Half Life 2: On track for summer release

bsu legato

I'll go with....... someone will steal the new code... again... and the game will be released after Duke Nukem Forever comes out... and it will be the new Daikatana. :lol:

:lol: But wait, where's the John Romero saying Half Life 2 will make the world it's bitch?

Vostok 7

the stolen source code did not affect the release date this much, even ID has had tons of code stolen. what the stolen code showed is that the game was far from being done. its just an excuse of valves.

Well, from the article:

The summer release date of Half-Life 2 is certain to once again divide gamers. Some will be relieved to finally have a date, however vague, that they can target. Others are likely to howl in outrage that the game has been delayed so far beyond its initial target date. (The game was originally scheduled to hit stores on Sept. 30, 2003.) Some ludicrous conspiracy theorists will likely begin regurgitating the ridiculous story that the source code leak was intentional, so Valve would have an 'excuse' to delay the game.

the stolen source code did not affect the release date this much, even ID has had tons of code stolen. what the stolen code showed is that the game was far from being done. its just an excuse of valves.

Well, from the article:

The summer release date of Half-Life 2 is certain to once again divide gamers. Some will be relieved to finally have a date, however vague, that they can target. Others are likely to howl in outrage that the game has been delayed so far beyond its initial target date. (The game was originally scheduled to hit stores on Sept. 30, 2003.) Some ludicrous conspiracy theorists will likely begin regurgitating the ridiculous story that the source code leak was intentional, so Valve would have an 'excuse' to delay the game.

True bsu... but that could be a red herring. "That's crazy! You're crazy! ...... gotta go!"

:p

All I can say is this better not be another Daikatana. I assume no one can match the utter failure of Romero's spawn, but there's always new world records being broken...

*prays for an early release for beloved Half-Life 2*

Edited by Mr March

I'll go with....... someone will steal the new code... again... and the game will be released after Duke Nukem Forever comes out... and it will be the new Daikatana. :lol:

That's all wrong because Daikatana, for better or for worse, actually came out!

Duke Nukem Forever on the other hand.... :ph34r: That sucker will be forever immortalized in the Vaporware Hall of Fame.

I was thrilled about the impending release of HL2 until a friend of mine explained the "STEAM" scheme to me. Now this is second hand information but I have been told that HL2 will not be playable unless you subscribe to Valve's online service called STEAM, and this is the only way you will be able to patch or play the game.

If this turns out to be true, no matter how awesome the game is I am not going to buy it. I loved half-life more than some people love theri kids, but I disagree with charging a monthly fee for a person to buy and play a singleplayer, Non-online game. If they want to charge people to play multi-player online through their servers that is their business, but Ill be damned if I am going to pay a fee to be able to sit home and pay a game that I paid for on my own computer not eating up anyone elses bandwidth or servers. That is like the old DiVX garbage where they wanted to stop DVD sales and make you pay a rental fee anytime you wanted to watch a movie. Didn't support the dumb idea then and I won't support it now.

Steam doesn't cost anything. It's even included in the retail Day of Defeat, where my experience with it comes from. The only costs are

1) price of game

2) dial-up/dsl fees.

Edit: you don't need Steam to play single player, but you will need it for patches.

Edited by bsu legato