5 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Another doomsday apocalypse emerging from NYC... Really trying hard to catch up to Tokyo for most cursed land on Earth. 🤣 

Well, only two major apocalypses in thirty years*, so I think they're doing pretty good.:p

*before anyone mentions Ghostbusters II, I think it's been retconned out of existence.

5 hours ago, Thom said:

*before anyone mentions Ghostbusters II, I think it's been retconned out of existence.

Was wondering about this after seeing the trailer this weekend. You mean to say they're still going with the argument that there were no witnesses?

6 hours ago, Thom said:

Well, only two major apocalypses in thirty years*, so I think they're doing pretty good.:p

You forgetting all the other franchises that enjoyed making NYC suffer 😆

2 hours ago, Jeff J said:

Was wondering about this after seeing the trailer this weekend. You mean to say they're still going with the argument that there were no witnesses?

No, I think GB II no longer happened. There were no references at all in Afterlife to the sequel, just throwbacks to the original, Unless, of course, they toss some in with this sequel...

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

You forgetting all the other franchises that enjoyed making NYC suffer 😆

Well, if we're bringing other franchises into the mix, NYC is a favorite target!:D

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Oof. But but the nostalgia??

Seriously tho, not surprised by that score. RIP Ghostbusters.

Sounds like another franchise that should have been left alone...I didn't care much for Afterlife....will just wait for this to land on some streaming service...

Only movies so far this year that I am definitely going to watch on the big screen are Deadpool 3 and Beetlejuice 2 (I think it comes out this year?)...

Edited by jvmacross

12 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Oof. But but the nostalgia??

Seriously tho, not surprised by that score. RIP Ghostbusters.

Gotta consider the source and their obvious bias; after all, all these shill reviewers are still blood poisoning levels of salty over the fact that audiences thoroughly rejected their much-praised misbegotten 2016 Feig reimagining (it was pure THE MESSAGE poop) and that it bombed so hard as to make sure that thing is dead and buried with no possibility of ever being resurrected, and also remember that they gave poor reviews to Afterlife as well and that was enjoyable and mostly satisfying even if not all that original, not on Afterlife's merits, or lack thereof, but because they were, and still are, hung up on 2016's embarrassing failure.

8 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Gotta consider the source and their obvious bias; after all, all these shill reviewers are still blood poisoning levels of salty over the fact that audiences thoroughly rejected their much-praised misbegotten 2016 Feig reimagining (it was pure THE MESSAGE poop) and that it bombed so hard as to make sure that thing is dead and buried with no possibility of ever being resurrected, and also remember that they gave poor reviews to Afterlife as well and that was enjoyable and mostly satisfying even if not all that original, not on Afterlife's merits, or lack thereof, but because they were, and still are, hung up on 2016's embarrassing failure.

IGN gave Afterlife a 9/10. Independent reviews are pretty hard to find these days; it seems like if they aren't sucking up to studios for access, they're overly concerned about ideologies. But this might just be one of those honest opinions.

Watched it.  Liked it.  Could've spent more time with the bad guy dominating and showing why he's so feared and less with Kumall Nanjiani's character but that's okay.  I was entertained for a few hours.  

Also new proton packs.   Guess what I think the next Ghostbusters HasLab is.

I liked it too. Could have used a bit more with the Big Bad, but I liked it overall, though I feel it does miss some of the 'quipyness' of Afterlife. And yes, less Kumall, or at least someone else playing the part.