BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

I don't recall Rogue Squadron games having a HUD. IIRC most every "recent" SW flight sim etc (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron etc) have a gunsight, but not a true HUD.

Unless you're talking about X-Wing Alliance, which had a helmet mounted HUD - and which I assume it's the real deal in the Star Wars universe.

Why you can't see it from the outside - Polaroid Effect. I thing it would be easier to project confusing reflections from a rounded helmet mounted HUD in the middle of the cockpit than from a piece of plane glass in one end. Specially in outer space, where you don't get too many light sources to outshine them. Thus, a polarized glass.

Then again, that's only an educated guess, so shoot me down if I'm wrong.

In real life, HUD's are very easy to see from the outside, at least those projected on a combiner glass. Don't know about those projected directly on the windscreen. ::heads to garage, checks car:: (Yes, if anyone on this planet got the HUD option on their car, it'd be me)

Now THAT is interesting. Can't see it at all from the outside. My car's HUD is like an F-14---it projects it directly onto the windscreen, there's no separate combiner glass plate.

Soooo---can we assume any F-14-style HUD isn't visible from the outside? Because I know first-hand F-16 HUD's etc are visible from 100ft away if they're turned on and in a FLIR/LANTIRN display mode etc.

In real life, HUD's are very easy to see from the outside, at least those projected on a combiner glass. Don't know about those projected directly on the windscreen. ::heads to garage, checks car:: (Yes, if anyone on this planet got the HUD option on their car, it'd be me)

Pontiac or Nissan?

Guest Bromgrev
It's probably a helmet HUD, but I am willing to overlook that little fault, for now.  The only part of the fighter designs taht really ticked me off was when Adama made reference to THRUST PEDAL!!!!  Fighter planes use throttles to control thrust and rudder pedals for control, AARRGGGHHH!!!

Said the same thing on SSM and it was suggested that he meant the Rudder pedal, but in space when you hit the rudder it would cause thrusters to fire to effect yaw.

I hope that's what he really meant, otherwise, arrgh, stupid hollywood writers need to get time in a plane before writing about them, the controls are not like in cars.

Yeah, that's I assumed he meant, since he said "thruster pedal" not "thrust pedal." I assumed he meant the pedal to control the yaw thrusters.

Why not thrust pedals? A car is not an aeroplane is not a viper. If you don't need a rudder, why not use your feet to control thrust, it's one less thing for your hands to do.

May not have a rudder, but you'll always need yaw control. No different than a modern FBW plane. An F-18 has an insanely complex control system, you never have direct control over anything--you tell it what to do and it does it. (F-18's LOOK conventional, but they move 8-10 control surfaces just for a simple roll) What the plane actually uses to accomplish it doesn't matter, whether it's an F-18's rudders or a Viper's verniers. Feet=yaw, regardless of how or why it's achieved. (Pedals also work the brakes on the ground, but that's not very relevant) (and nosewheel steering at low speeds)

Pontiac, though I do believe the Corvette has the option as well. (They also get a tach on theirs, I'm jealous).

Yup, I've seen the tach on the 'Vette's HUD...nice!! I wish my GTO had a HUD...

Anybody heard any news about toys and/or models coming of the updated designs?

Graham

Thought I responded to this...sorry...

There is a 1/24 and 1/48 MKII Viper due out any day now. (resin Garage) A 1/72 MkII is also coming soon. All of these have pictures of complete patterns (or nearly so) and are not vaporware. There are also early shots of a 1/24 Raider...

I have not seen any toys yet...(hopefully yet! )

Jesse, do you have any pictures or links to these kits? I recently ordered a custom studio scale garage kit from someone over at Replica prop forums. Along with your studio scale kit ;) . Are you refering to that kit....I believe the makers name is Frank.

Chris

Sure...the 1/24th MK2 Im aware of is from the RPF

viperside.jpg

The 1/24 Raider is also:

Image311.jpg

The 1/48 Viper MKII is from Alfred and on SciFi Models...(Ive heard rumors but no pics of a 1/48 Raider)

v2pv2.jpg

Rob's a nice guy at SciFiModels. Tell him I sent you...

and heres the 1/72 MK2...they also say they will be doing a Raider

viper1.jpg

Hey Myersjessee

Any updates on the

1/72 MkII Viper??? B))

Edited by -JP-

Nice models! But: I can't believe there is not going to be any toy or model (injected) based on this series!!

Give it time, I'm sure they'll come.

I'd really love a Viper MK II & MK VII toy, as I'm in love with the new series.

Graham

Nice models! But: I can't believe there is not going to be any toy or model (injected) based on this series!!

Give it time, I'm sure they'll come.

I'd really love a Viper MK II & MK VII toy, as I'm in love with the new series.

Graham

Just wondering does anybody know how many missiles a Viper MK II carries? And where are the missiles stored? I'm guessing they must be carried internally and launched somewhere from the bottom of the craft.

Currently just watched 'The Hand of God' episode of the new series. Excellent episode.

Graham

Graham Posted on Apr 12 2005, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the pics. I've already ordered one. Hopefully it will arrive by next week.

Hmmm....the stripes look more orange than red. Is that the case or is it just the lighting messing with the colors?

You're right, the stripes are orange, rather than red <_< . Oh well, I suppose I can get a MK II kit to replace this one, problem is I'm not any good at putting together model kits :lol::D !!

In the video game, they showed missiles being carried right under the Viper's wings...they looked huge though, like Sparrows/AMRAAM's. Don't think the show will follow that though.

The few times the Vipers fire missiles in the new show, they seem to be fired from internal bays, but it's difficult to be sure. At least I don't recall seeing any mounted on the wings. Seems that guns are used far more often than missiles by the Viper pilots. Perhaps missiles are in short supply, but plenty of gun ammo was picked up from Ragnar station?

I'm still considering whether to pick up the BSG PS2 game. Most reviews say that the early stages are too tough & frustrating. I personally hate games that start off tough as I do get frustrated easily and have broken more than a few controllers after throwing them at the wall :D

I'd like to hear some comments on the game from those that have played it.

Graham

The game seemed tough to me at first...but if you change the settings of your missiles to cause large splash damage, it came rather easy...the only part I did not like at all was the stage where you fly the bomber...it was horrible. The Cylon Raider stage was kinda tough at first, since they make you fly in formation for so long but after a couple times, I got it.

Since the game is cheap now, I'd say it's worth it...it's no AC5, but is does have some fun moments, and being able to do the 180 and start shooting Raiders on your rear is cool. ;)

No clue about the show (thinking it is internal), but it was strange in the game to see huge Sparrow like ones underneath the Vipers in the opening CG! :lol:

Graham Posted on Apr 12 2005, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the pics. I've already ordered one. Hopefully it will arrive by next week.

Hmmm....the stripes look more orange than red. Is that the case or is it just the lighting messing with the colors?

You're right, the stripes are orange, rather than red <_< . Oh well, I suppose I can get a MK II kit to replace this one, problem is I'm not any good at putting together model kits :lol::D !!

iMHO: Original BSG Vipers stripes should be more orange than red! ;) But I've found some Vipers with more red than orange...the other watching the BSG "movie" DVD I was convinced that the stripes were orange or at least appears orange on film.

For example, these guys produced a decals set for Vipers, and I think their orange is to yellowish but it is orange rather than red:

Vipers decals

For example, these guys produced a decals set for Vipers, and I think their orange is to yellowish but it is orange rather than red:

Vipers decals

I always thought that the markings were more red than orange, too. That is what it looks like here, too:

Battlestar Galactica tech manual

That is Richard Hatch's semi-official BSG site. It has lots of good info on both the original and new series.

As for those decals, the website offers them in 12 different colors so I don;t think we can consider it a definitive source.

Just received my Joyride Colonial Viper & Cylon raider toys.

Surprised that for toys they have no screws at all. I guess what people have been saying about them being just preassembled copies of the old Revell model kits is true then.

Pretty happy with them overall and they actually look better than I've seen in most photos.

My only complaints are that the Viper's wings are very loosely attached and rattle when you shake the toy. Also, I don't think the two toys are to scale as the Cylon pilots are slightly shorter than the Viper pilot. I always thought Cylons were supposed to be pretty tall, like 7' or something.

The orange stripes on the Viper look pretty jarring and should have been more redish IMO. Anyway, the original series DVD set is next on my 'to watch' list, so I'll check out the exact stripe color then.

Last minor niggle, I wish Joyride had designed the display stand for the Viper so that the detachable landing gear could be stored on the underside of the base when not in use. As it is, I'm gonna have to bag them, store them somewhere and probably never be able to find them again :D

These Joyride toys along with the recent Konami versions will tide me over until somebody releases a Viper MK II & MK VII toy or injection plastic model from the new series. I'm just imagining how nice it would be if Fine Molds picked up the license for the new series kits.

Graham

I agree, Fine Molds would be incredable!!!

Personlly I always thought the Original stripes were Orange as well.

A side note, I don't think the pilots are to scale with the Viper. I think they are much to SMALL. the scale of the Viper is near 1/48. Damn those things are small!

I base this on pictures of how large the pilot/actor looks when sitting in the cockpit and on the lenght given for the 1/48 MKII model that Jesse pointed out to us. It's only 7.5 inches long!!! the Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 is longer than that!!! The Joy Ride MKI viper is almost 7 inches I think, can't remember exactly.

Chris

Ahh..some Fine Molds BSG...that would be sweet for sure!

That would be BSG models heaven!!!

As for the stripes: I google that and some people mentions orange and red, the original preproduction paintings show orange (perhaps day-glo), in some photos the stripes are red in others orange...I think that this a case of some FX models were painted red other orange or maybe is just an effect of the filming process. I'm going to grab some screen shots from my DVD and post them here.

The BSG Tech Journal though excellent has only recent artistic impressions on the Viper and other crafts. The real discussion is how the vipers were portrayed in the original series and not by some recent artwork.

GRAHAM: As for the wings: yes they are loose... the idea of storing the landing gear inside the base is great!! I will try to figure out how to do it. So far I have them attached to the Viper because I'm afraid to lose them.

And yes, the stripes are too orange and the grey is way too dark but the toy is beautiful nevertheless!!

Here are some screen captures I did from the Original Series "movie" DVD. The color tends to be more orange in some images than others. Judge for yourselves:

cap089.jpg

The Joyride Viper has no stripes under the fuselage:

cap120.jpg

Seems more like brick red in the 1/1 model:

cap080.jpg

Graham Posted on Apr 14 2005, 02:45 AM

Last minor niggle, I wish Joyride had designed the display stand for the Viper so that the detachable landing gear could be stored on the underside of the base when not in use. As it is, I'm gonna have to bag them, store them somewhere and probably never be able to find them again

I tossed mine away the same day I bought the Viper :lol::D !!!!

One thing that the Joyride Viper got wrong is the center windscreen of the canopy. As shown in this pic, it should taper downwards to get narrower at the bottom, but on the Joyride toy, the center windscreen has nearly no taper. The Konami Viper's canopy is much more accurate in this regard.

Also, the Konami viper has the red strip on the bottom of the Viper that is missing from the Joyride version.

Graham

cap080.jpg

In the recent BSG console game, is the young Adama character based on the likeness of a young Lorne Greene or a young Edward James Olmos? Or do you never get to see the face of the game Adama?

Graham

The CGI in the game looks like neither, sounds like neither either. You can choose if you want it to be Mr. Greene or Mr. Olmos :D .

One thing that the Joyride Viper got wrong is the center windscreen of the canopy. As shown in this pic, it should taper downwards to get narrower at the bottom, but on the Joyride toy, the center windscreen has nearly no taper. The Konami Viper's canopy is much more accurate in this regard.

Also, the Konami viper has the red strip on the bottom of the Viper that is missing from the Joyride version.

Graham

cap080.jpg

One thing in Joyrides defense...if they did use the old model kit as a base...its major wrong! Still there are also major innaccuracies between the 1:1 studio set pieces and the filming models....for instance...notice their is a raised section on the nose of the 1:1 model (above) that tapers in like two arrows expaning out...now notice the actual filming model doesn't have that at all. There are lots of little problems like that which forced kit makers to decide if the 1:1 or 1:24 model was cannon.

This cockpit mockup is the one with the raised dual triangle nose piece:

bsg-viper-013.jpg

This is a filming model...without it (and notice how red the stripes look! )

bsg-viper-008.jpg

Seems like that the orange or red issue is more a filming effect thing than a real thing if the stripes on that model is not something unique. In the DVD the stripes looks definitely orange-red.

I would tend to agree....but I know how important it can be for the ship to be "like you remember it" ;)