custom SOC

cube

Ok...so I started working on this a year ago...got busy and stopped working on it...started up again...got frustrated and quit...and now, I finally decided to post some pics. I still need to make the boobs, fix the shoulders and thicken the legs (not to mention the whack of fine details and crap i have to add), but here is my first ever custom SOC

The base is an SOC Aphrodai A, I stripped tha paint, bondo-ed over everything, and dremeled/sanded/filed it down to the right shape. I didn't have any other models to base it on, so it is designed after a few pics I found on the Web, and I just sort of eyeballed everything. This is only about half done, and the other half probably won't be done for a year or so.

In case you can't tell...it's supposed to be Sylia from the Knight Sabers (Bubblegum Crisis). I used to have a sword for it, but seem to have lost it. It was just made from an old clear cocktail sword, so it's no big loss.

Note: I have never sculpted anything before, never worked with bondo before, and never tried to make a custom toy before. This was also my first time working with a dremel.

Enjoy! (and yes...it does stand on it's own)

post-26-1075198616_thumb.jpg

I haven't posted for a while but after seeing your progress on that, I had to say something.

Very nice. I look forward to seeing the finished product =)

Sam

lol...I'm not THAT loaded...it was just an Aphrodai A that one of the on-line stores sent me by accident when I ordered another toy. They didn't want to pay for shipping it back, so they sold it to me for $20 or something...

and thanks Sam! I wasn't sure if people would like it or hate it. I know there are some major proportion problems right now (the shoulders are too big for one thing), but it looks good from the side view. I just need to even out the front view so it all fits.

ah yea fulc, you've known about this one for a while.

I'm actually pretty happy with it so far. I need to add a bit more beef to the upper arms and shave down the shoulders quite a bit. It's hard to get a good range of motion ifthe shoulders are too small though. In the end, I may make the wings out of styrene and make them foldable (or at least separte folded up and folded out wings, but for now it looks better if they are in a fixed position. The hardest part has been trying to get a balance between the legs and the upper body.

Yup, but it's the first pics I've seen... I just love the concept - taking an SOC, and customizing it... You're basically making your own diecast toy! Now if only Aoshima would make a diecast Getter One - then I could customize that into the Black Getter from Shin Getter...

did you ever see the custom Getter lady (she-getter?) that someone made from one ofthe SOC ladies? It was amazing! Mine won't be anything near that good, but it's a heck of a lot of fun working on it (when I get the time). I couldn't imagine trying to customize an Aoshima chogo though. They have waaaaay too much diecast to fiddle around with anything more than a paint job and a head swap

Great work in progress there. I look forward to seeing it finished. Looks really sweet so far.

Thanks for all the positive feedback! It may just motivate me to work on this sucka a bit more :) My original plan was to make it recastable (the head, chest, backpack and wings will be), but I had to bondo straight onto the arms and legs, so there goes that idea :(

Lol...I take bribes :p

The biggest problem right now is that I know I can finish the sculpt, but I can't paint worth a damn, and don't have an airbrush. The thought of a finished model without a paint job (or even worse, a crappy paint job) is too painful to imagine ;) I also have 2 Websites and snowboard season standing in my way. Once those are done with, I should have a bit of time to fiddle with it.

what are the odds of a soc brave reideen?

Well it won't be for a long time, since the next couple of releases will be as follows:

- Daiku Maryu Repaint

- Eva 03

- Eva 04

- Zambot 3 <--- w00t

After these, Bandai is probably going to jump ship back to the Dynamic line of things, so expect more Mazinger series releases, or they somehow go back and finish Nagahama's Romance Trilogy and release SoC Voltes V and SoC Daimos. :D

Too bad I know that's not going to happen for like a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long time. <_<

what are the odds of a soc brave reideen?

Well it won't be for a long time, since the next couple of releases will be as follows:

- Daiku Maryu Repaint

- Eva 03

- Eva 04

- Zambot 3 <--- w00t

After these, Bandai is probably going to jump ship back to the Dynamic line of things, so expect more Mazinger series releases, or they somehow go back and finish Nagahama's Romance Trilogy and release SoC Voltes V and SoC Daimos. :D

Too bad I know that's not going to happen for like a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long time. <_<

i don't care how long it will take bandai to make a SoC Voltes as long as they will make one.

I definitely second that! I mean the Godaikin Voltes V was very good, but I'd love to see an SOC Voltes V.

But to get back on topic, that custom looks great cube, and I can't wait to see it finished.

Joe P.

thanks again everybody! (I thought this thread was lost a few days ago)

I'm glad it's recognizable as a BGC figure. i was worried it would just look like a generic chick with a helmet on :)

...sculpting the head was actually the easy part. It was the legs and arms that drove me crazy (I had to redo the arms 3 times) and it was hard getting the legs to look decent and be able to stand up in some cool poses since it doesn't have an ankle joint.

Unfortunately, i really won't have any time to work on this for a while, so nothing will change until july or august at the earliest.