Why God Why?

I'll address your points one by one, Neko.
well my complaint was basically .... live action anime is BAD ...and this just proves it....and please you can say what you want about  "maybe itll have a great plot etc etc "  ...the point is ...this is america....when you live in america and you take something that is not so popular and make it into something popular but far from the original.....well just ask anyone what happens to fans of the original

What does happen to fans of the original? Do they get attacked on the street by giant monkeys? No, mostly they just complain endlessly about trivial changes from the source material and refuse to be open minded.

This isnt spiderman ...spiderman is  a large part of the culture as are american comic book culture in general ...  if spiderman would have sucked they would have made a different interpretation in 5 years

things work a little differently

Seems to me that Spiderman gets the worse end of the stick on that deal. If they make a bad movie, folks will trash it and that'll be the end of that. Poor Spidey would get put through the ringer endlessly. It's not as if a bad movie will somehow ruin the anime that came first.

I mean if they want to do an evangelion movie..and change all teh characters ....and americanize it up...then at least change teh name and  robot designs and call it "robotika " or "cybergun" or another dumb name more in tune with live action b movies.  All this really proves is lack of originality on movie studios shoulders. 

I agree with you there, but I think I'm less surprised by it than you seem to be. Hollywood is anything but original... but occasionally they crank out a few good movies - both based on licenses and original screenplays. But do you really think if they changed just the names (Asuka to Kate, and so on) and the title (let's go with Cybergun Robotika) that they wouldn't get sued for everything else by Gainax? Doesn't the mecha appear similar? The city designs? The character looks and outfits?

It seems like they're being fairly true to the source material, if you ask me. They changed some names and some ages. I wouldn't have much trouble guessing that Cybergun Robotika was clearly based on NGE from what I see here.

There is just no reason to make animation into live action other then trying to milk a franchise...thats IT!  Its simple... if anyone really appreciated  and  enjoyed the artwork  and animation and story then release it as is  subtitled in a movie theater. As it was intended.

Yeah! And they should never make movies based off of books, either! That Silence of the Lambs was crap! So was Gone With the Wind, the Wizard of OZ, LotR, and about a million others! They shouldn't base it off of comic books neither! That Spiderman and X-Men were universally hated by everyone!

What makes anime so different? Why shouldn't they try to bring these stories to the bigger market of live action film? What makes anime so uniquely special that it simply CANNOT ever be adapted to another form? Are these stories untellable in film? Not really. Not anymore with CGI being what it is.

And saying  WETA IS WORKING ON IT! THEY MADE LOTR  really means nothing to me ...yippy wow.. i love lotr  but that doesnt impress me.

Well... you have me stumped there. I like it when talented people work on movies.

Its all about the $$$

Anyway hopefully this movie  never makes it out of pre production and just becoems another case of the live action akira ( thank god that choked on itself and died)

Of course it's all about the $$$. The original anime for NGE was also all about the $$$. If it had bombed on Japan TV, do you think we'd be discussing it here now? Sure, the creator had an artistic goal, but there's plenty of evidence that it was made to be profitable to boot.

They are going to make live action movies based on your precious anime. It will happen and some of it will be bad, some of it might be good. Comic book fans said the same thing, so did book geeks. Both were proven wrong by talented directors, screenwriters, actors, etc...

Why have such a knee jerk reaction to it? Why not wait to hate it after you see if it'll really suck all by itself?

MAN!

The Facts Of Life DOES KICK ASS!!!

Thanks Mrs. G.

Eh. The movie is likely to lose the part of Eva I liked the most: the fact that it's a parody of 70's robot shows. The best thing they could do would be to use actors in suits for the Evas. So much of the show was an obvious Ultraman reference, that it would be the ultimate nod of the head.

Eh. The movie is likely to lose the part of Eva I liked the most: the fact that it's a parody of 70's robot shows. The best thing they could do would be to use actors in suits for the Evas. So much of the show was an obvious Ultraman reference, that it would be the ultimate nod of the head.

I never really saw Eva as a parody.

If anything I always saw Eva as more of a character study under the backdrop of "saving the world with giant robots", of which the "robots" were also part of the problem. Each character not just the kids, but also the majority of the adults, are either screwed up and/or had something happen to them that shaped how they dealt with each other and the way they did things. The characters are built up, make some progress as the show progresses, and then we watch them all crash in their own ways.

jeus christ ..im not even a HUGE eva fan

Yes thanks for the incredible lesson blaine and drew , being a musician i know absolutely nothing about the entertainment industry ..thanks for the huge tips about $$$

Uh yea i sure like how when someone brings up a macross live action movie people fly off the hook and the flames start flying about how animation doesnt need to be solidified as a true entertainment source or form of artistic expression by making it into its "final true source" as a live action blockbuster.

Thanks for the comparison to books ...obviously animation is as socially acceptable for adults as books as a viable form of mature intelligent artistic entertainment

Theres a huge differnece between books or comics...they are a different format all together....There was an eva movie, 2 actually ...so really theres no reason to make a live action movie

It's Japan's fault for not building their film industry up as much as their anime industry. Once they see how much money there is to be made, I think they'll think it over.

interesting comment. as much as i would love to see a japanese film studio tackle this i am reminded by the pure cheeziness of sentai shows (power rangers et al) and i wonder if it is in better hands with an american studio. sure you could argue budget dollars but i look at Star Trek:TNG as a good series with a limited budget but didn't have as much cheeze factor.

or am i way off on this? are there japanese live films which rival american movies in terms of quality (acting, story, fx, etc)

It's Japan's fault for not building their film industry up as much as their anime industry.  Once they see how much money there is to be made, I think they'll think it over.

interesting comment. as much as i would love to see a japanese film studio tackle this i am reminded by the pure cheeziness of sentai shows (power rangers et al) and i wonder if it is in better hands with an american studio. sure you could argue budget dollars but i look at Star Trek:TNG as a good series with a limited budget but didn't have as much cheeze factor.

or am i way off on this? are there japanese live films which rival american movies in terms of quality (acting, story, fx, etc)

None, that's my point. But if there were, the japanese would be more protective over their properties. A japanese (if any) wouldn't need to change nationalities and names of the main characters. But I'm sure there are people in Japan that are waiting for this as much as some of us are.

EDIT: changed would to wouldn't (kinda important... :rolleyes: )

Edited by >EXO<

I hope in years to come this movie is compared to greats like Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren, and Street Fighter with Jean Claude Van Damme.

I hope in years to come this movie is compared to greats like Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren, and Street Fighter with Jean Claude Van Damme.

I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits... I don't want to do the splits...

I don't want to do the splits!!!

:o