Rising Stars

Mr March

Has anyone else here read the comic book series "Rising Stars" by J Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon 5)?

I just picked up the first TPB of this series called Act I. It collects the first eight issues of the series in one book. I must say, I'm very impressed with the story and the characters. The build up to the battle in the seventh issue was quite extraordinary. Ever issue was filled with bits and pieces of the history and ture nature of the 113 "Specials" gifted with powers. I couldn't put the book down until I had found out who everyone really was and what they could do. And more importantly, what was going to happen to all of them next.

I do have a few questions. How long is this series meant to be and how many issues have currently been released? What was the last issue released and when is the next schedueled? Any fans of this series around the boards to provide a new fan with some answers? :)

It's a great read, But I'm not sure how many issues were done. I think there were only going to be 20 something. Due to delay's on the book, I fell behind and was going to catch up when the trades came out. :unsure:

Well, the TPB's I purchased are black, signed hardcovers and they are called Rising Stars - Act 1: Born In Fire and Rising Stars - Act II: Power. Both of the two books contain 8 issues of the series in the TPB format. If this series is following the film definition of an "act", I would assume the entire series would be 24 issues in length, ending in a third act with another 8 issues (yes, I know films can have more than three acts, but it's not often the case).

I just went to a comics website that lists issue #21 as released last year. So I'm assuming only three more issues to go?

What are the delay's about and how long are we waiting for the last few issues?

I have all the act one and act two books (In storage), but I missed many issues after that, I think the last one I bought was issue 21. How much did the hardcovers run you?

I am a huge fan of this series and i also reccomend Midnight nation. Written just as well if not better.

now as far as what i am about to say i have only heard this in my local comic store.

The story i heard was that there was going to be a movie produced. Stracynski didn't like the script (I also heard that he had no part in writing it). It basically amounted to just a big superhero battle. but since he was having these difficulties with top cow he has decided to not finish the series until he gets more control over his creation.

like i siad just what i heard but i might give you something to go on. also check out his run on amazing spider-man as well as his newer series Supreme power his writing just amazes me. spider-man hasn't been this good in a very long time

I'm a big fan of J. Michael Straczynski's work ever since I first read issue #1 of Rising Stars. The series was planned from the beginning to have three 8-issue story arcs. The series also includes a preview issue, issue #0, and issue #1/2 (all have great background/development on the main story). The last issue released was issue #21, although Rising Stars will not conclude until issue #24. There's also an off-shoot series focusing on the character of Matthew Bright (written by another writer). The series will get finshed, eventually...when JMS can find the time, I s'pose. No one really knows when the last three issues will come out and a lot of comic shops have given up on the series.

JMS is currently writing for Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man (since issue #30) and Supreme Power, both which have been selling like crazy because they're that good. JMS also wrote Midnight Nation.

Supreme Power kicks ass. it started slow, but its really speeding up now. anyone who likes that should check out Powers by Brian Michael Bendis, who also writes Alias, Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-men, and about 50 other books, which are all great.

50, BTW, was an exageration. :lol:

I have all the act one and act two books (In storage), but I missed many issues after that, I think the last one I bought was issue 21. How much did the hardcovers run you?

I think I lucked out with the two hardcovers....really lucked out. I managed to buy Act I and Act II - both signed and numbered - for $50.00 canadian...total. Even if the individual issues were selling for cover price (which they aren't), I still would've had to pay over $80.00 to get all 16 issues. I think this delay for the last three issues has really dropped the prices on the series.

Okay news flash. I just checked out Worlds of JMS and found some good news for Rising Stars:

Joe Straczynski recently made the following response on the Babylon 5 moderated newsgroup to a question about the Top Cow dispute being resolved:

"Yes. There were a number of conditions set before Top Cow in order to resolve this, and those conditions were met. So the final three scripts will be turned in by late January/early February, and the Rising Stars story will be complete."

You can check out the link at his website. See the Worlds of JMS News section and the forth news item from the bottom reads "Rising Stars back on track"

Worlds of JMS Website

I'm a big fan of J. Michael Straczynski's work ever since I first read issue #1 of Rising Stars.  The series was planned from the beginning to have three 8-issue story arcs.  The series also includes a preview issue, issue #0, and issue #1/2 (all have great background/development on the main story).  The last issue released was issue #21, although Rising Stars will not conclude until issue #24.  There's also an off-shoot series focusing on the character of Matthew Bright (written by another writer).  The series will get finshed, eventually...when JMS can find the time, I s'pose.  No one really knows when the last three issues will come out and a lot of comic shops have given up on the series.

JMS is currently writing for Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man (since issue #30) and Supreme Power, both which have been selling like crazy because they're that good.  JMS also wrote Midnight Nation.

Sounds great! Although I think I'll stick to the stuff written by JMS for now. I would really like to get those two issues, issue #0 and issue #1/2. Rising Stars is great stuff. I'm almost finished the second act :)

Edited by Mr March