The Forever War in development.

http://collider.com/the-forever-war-channing-tatum-sparks-bidding-war/

Channing Tatum has signed on to star in adaptation of Joe Haldeman‘s 1974 science fiction classic The Forever War from a script by Jon Spaihts (Prometheus, Doctor Strange, Passengers). THR reports that Sony, Warner Bros., and another undisclosed studio are currently locked in a bidding war for the project, which is expected to attract an A-list director and originate a franchise. Roy Lee who will produce alongside Tatum and his Free Association company.

Haldeman’s Hugo and Nebula winning book spawned two sequels, a comic book and a board game, and is considered one of the great works of science fiction. The story follows a young physics student, William Mandella, drafted as a soldier in the war against an alien species named the Taurans. As he rises up the ranks and travels through space, he remains the same age while his loved ones and home planet continue to age at a normal rate. As the centuries pass on earth, the planet evolves greatly, evolving into a homogenous race and developing a new language. However, William remains connected to his true love, a female soldier who also slows down her aging through space-travel.

Deadline reports that Warner Bros. landed the film after outbidding Sony.

---

I feel like the success of movies like Interstellar really allowed this to happen. I'm sure they will bring out the action elements, but i have high hopes.

Forever Peace. Its only loosely related.

I knew "Forever Peace", but I never considered that part of the "Forever War" series. Cool book, but different universe, if you will.

I only read Forever War, never got to read the sequels. Would you call the sequels essential reading, or can you just stick with the first book?

It'll be interesting to see how they work with the material & themes. And I hope their suits are well designed.