I just got back from seeing Fury and I need to let somethings sink in before I comment. I will say as far as depictions of warfare go this film is very brutal and this film may have redeemed Shia's acting career.

On par with Saving Private Ryan, or even more brutal?

I don't know. My sister swore never to watch Saving Private Ryan again because of the slow stabbing scene.

okay then about FURY...

The very first scene is Brad Pitt killing a German Officer and bayonets him in the eyeball.

A Sherman getting hit with a panzer faust causing a gas fire leading to a crew member engulfed in flames killing himself.

Dead kids hung along a road by an SS officer because they didn't want to fight.

Starving civilians cutting up rotting dead horses for food.

Tanks running over people and squashing them like grapes.

.50 cals taking peoples heads clean off.

MG42's cutting a GI down at the knees.

That's only some of the carnage that this film displays and goes out of its way to show the aftermath of. Thematically this film does resemble The Beast in a lot of ways, with the exception of the tank commanders attitude with Pitt's character doing some pretty brutal things to ensure the safety of his crew instead of serving his own interests. There's a definite anti-war stance in this film, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it or turn it into a farce like some films. The best way to describe its is "This is war. War is ugly, brutal, and complete sh*t. We shouldn't have to do it, but it is what it is deal with it because that other guy will kill you instead." All in all I have a feeling people will leave the theater feeling a lot like they did after seeing Saving Private Ryan.

As for the technical aspects this film really did go out of its way to portray actual WWII combat with tactics like combined arms street sweeping, and using different types of ammunition in different situations like AP/HE/WP rounds or smoke.

Just saw the movie today and I was not impressed. Although it is brutal it is also VERY Hollywood.

German anti-tank gunners don't seem to be able to hit anything and the Tiger tank has the slowest loader in the known universe and is commanded by an idiot. That final battle sequence made the final battle in SPR look realistic.

As for that other movie...

gotta love Asylum, that MG42 seems to have had a limiter installed and the Ardennes looks pretty warm for the time period the US fought in it...

Edited by Dynaman

Just saw the movie today and I was not impressed. Although it is brutal it is also VERY Hollywood.

German anti-tank gunners don't seem to be able to hit anything and the Tiger tank has the slowest loader in the known universe and is commanded by an idiot. That final battle sequence made the final battle in SPR look realistic.

As for that other movie...

gotta love Asylum, that MG42 seems to have had a limiter installed and the Ardennes looks pretty warm for the time period the US fought in it...

Agreed, as this was a thoroughly underwhelming movie.

If you're going to make a movie about a bunch of guys in a tank, make it so that the audience feels compeled to care about where and who these guys are, and what happens to them. In this case, there was grit and the horrors of war but nothing in the way of character development or intrigue for any of that stuff to be of significance. Hell, I would even argue that the pacing of the movie needlessly dragged in some areas. Some people are calling this the "Private Ryan of tank movies." To say so does a great disrespect to one of the if not THE greatest war movie of all time; a movie that not only featured the brutality of war but the toll it affected on its people. On the other hand, Fury is nothing more than a bunch of guys cruising around in a tank, wandering from one CGI fire fight to the next one...

It was a good movie, but by no means great.

It was well acted, it was beautifully shot, it presented its Nihilistic view fairly well (if a bit forcibly).

As a "war movie" it was poor, as the final set piece battle stretched credulity too far after the viewer has already been asked to believe that Pak gunners aim by guesswork and that every hit to a tank causes it to brew up instantly. These aren't the sort of things which would bother most movie watchers, and they don't detract from the story, but if you want a movie that shows what "it was like" those are some glaring weaknesses.

I can't see any comparison to Saving Private Ryan being justified. That movie had me emotionally drained by the end, the violence being so visceral and graphic, and the final tally so unexpected.

This movie had some graphic scenes, but they were mostly seen for a handful of frames, and seemingly in silhouette. It was clear that "that guy got his head shot off," but not in such a way as to really disturb you, at least that was my impression.

And as someone above mentioned, any tactical failings Saving Private Ryan may have exhibited in it's final battle look text book compared to the WTF? of Fury's climax.