On 5/1/2024 at 7:19 PM, F-ZeroOne said:

I realise I'm a touch biased, but it does sometimes feel like the European "G.I. Joe" comics - branded "Action Force" to start with, as the toyline was initially released under that title for some time here before the branding was unified - gets a little overlooked in discussions of the comics (the UK "Transformers" stories seem to be better known).

Little bit of a follow up: I may have got a bit confused about a certain famous UK business personality appearing in "Action Force"; the story in question may have been in the UK "Transformers" comics. However, the events that led up to that story were part of a previous "Action Force/Transformers" crossover; I think installments may have been published in each comic at the time.

Whilst revisiting "Action Force" to check, I was reminded of some of the artists that worked on it - Geoff Senior is probably the most well known internationally, but there was also Robin Smith (a "2000AD" artist, not to be confused with the Galaxys Greatest Comics other Smith-droid, Ron Smith) and the sadly often overlooked Jerry Paris; an artist probably best known in the UK for his video game magazine covers and art, but who also produced comic strips for a couple of them as well. He had a fantastically chunky "mecha" style that I've often wondered may have been manga or anime inspired.

Something else that was dredged up from memory is that almost forgotten in the "Action Force/G.I. Joe" comics history is that "Action Force" had a precursor series of comic adventures; the long-running UK war comic "Battle" (later "Battle/Action Force") ran a series based on the original Palitoy line and which featured some interesting variations on the lore, especially as the "G.I. Joe" line developed more influence over time; did you know for example that the COBRA F.A.N.G. helicopters were developed from S.A.S. H.A.W.K. helicopters? (according to "Battle/Action Force" at any rate!). 

When "Action Force" became its own thing, comics wise, "Battle" implemented a suspiciously similar substitute, "Storm Force", with a hero with an interchangeable weapons arm who led a paramilitary organisation who flew across the world in a weaponised Concorde...!

• 2 weeks later...

Just acquired this beautifully coloured , late golden age Detective Comics #189!! After a dry clean this cover is really gonna pop. Screenshot_20240512_162219.png.889c057dafee29a545e815f41bd1dda3.png

2 hours ago, Big s said:

That’s back when Batman was the world’s worst detective and couldn’t see a trap if it looked him in the eyes and said it was a trap. He was captured so many many times back then. 

World's greatest detective but he insists on revealing the lower half of his face. Turning up to crime fighting clean shaven. It's like he wants to get shot in the face.

4 hours ago, troyness said:

World's greatest detective but he insists on revealing the lower half of his face. Turning up to crime fighting clean shaven. It's like he wants to get shot in the face.

Even his derpy armor suit had an open chin. I love Batman and all, but there’s some questionable stuff going on

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Even his derpy armor suit had an open chin. I love Batman and all, but there’s some questionable stuff going on

The elephant in the room is maintaining a secret identity with current surveillance tech as soon as they step outside. 

A Batman movie set in the 1930's or a Spiderman movie set in the 1960's would help future audiences suspend their disbelief & except that a masked crime fighter would be able to keep their secret identity. 

1 hour ago, troyness said:

The elephant in the room is maintaining a secret identity with current surveillance tech as soon as they step outside. 

A Batman movie set in the 1930's or a Spiderman movie set in the 1960's would help future audiences suspend their disbelief & except that a masked crime fighter would be able to keep their secret identity. 

Honestly, I would love either of those