1/48 Enigma Custom

Kurt

Hey everyone! My latest project is a 1/48 custom Enigma. This is my first custom, actually this is also my first Yamato. I thought I would keep everyone posted as I went along. So far things are going good. Taking the 1/48 apart was pretty easy. Then I just treated it as any other model. Priming and pre-shading are complete. Will start the two tone gray paint scheme next. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

post-4-1071971458_thumb.jpg

Seems I´m the first one to post so let me tell you something : your custom is looking great!

Keep it coming , I was wondering though , did you do any sort of panel lines before you started with the two-tone colour scheme ?

Being your first Yamato custom and worse yet , your first ever Yamato toy I think you´re doing spectacularly well ;) , I personally would be able to do something like what you´ve posted already , I think I´d barely do some panel lines and maybe some minor mods but that´s as far as my bravery would go :lol:

Edited : damn you dyowelb , you beat me to it :lol: Oh well , second is better than 3rd I suppose <_< :p

Edited by Aegis!

Seems I´m the first one to post so let me tell you something : your custom is looking great!

Keep it coming , I was wondering though , did you do any sort of panel lines before you started with the two-tone colour scheme ?

Being your first Yamato custom and worse yet , your first ever Yamato toy I think you´re doing spectacularly well ;) , I personally would be able to do something like what you´ve posted already , I think I´d barely do some panel lines and maybe some minor mods but that´s as far as my bravery would go :lol:

Edited : damn you dyowelb , you beat me to it :lol: Oh well , second is better than 3rd I suppose <_<:p

Thank you! At this point all I have done is primed and pre-shaded with an airbrush. There has been no panel lining, that will come later. It looks a bit rough at this point. I will look much better after I start spraying the actual colors. I will keep you posted.

oh man... this isn't aintitcool... let's not get into the "first" thing...

anyway, I can't wait to see it. Your other customs have all been awesome! Can we see the scheme you're going to do or where you're getting the idea from. Thanks!

Sorry for starting this in the wrong forum. It isn't always easy to tell where to put a topic. Anyway here is another update. I have sprayed on the light gray and painted a few other pieces. Next I will need to mask off the light gray for the darker gray application. However I don't have the decals yet and I need those to match the darker gray with the UN Spacy logo. There is some other things I can do till then and I will continue to post updates. Thanks!

post-24-1072066372_thumb.jpg

WOW, that is some sweet work Kurt...

OK, you gotta give us a rundown...

What's on your workbench? What kind of tools do you use to do all this awesome work?

I'm in the market for a good airbrush, what are you using?

Well there really isn't any special tools that I use, just the basic hobby tools to get the job done. I have three airbrushes that use. However for the most part I use my Iwata SBS. I would recommend Iwata for it's excellent performance and ease of cleaning. Then I have two Badgers that I use less frequently.

I wanted to ask if you had sanded, filled in or fixed any of the molding imperfections but I can see the imperfections were untouched in the nosecone / cockpit picture. I was thinking about tearing down my 1/48s to smooth out surface and detailing the panel lines too.

Do you have a picture of the hands? I think that piece must be hard to preshade and paint.

Good stuff here. Keep us all updated.

I wanted to ask if you had sanded, filled in or fixed any of the molding imperfections but I can see the imperfections were untouched in the nosecone / cockpit picture. I was thinking about tearing down my 1/48s to smooth out surface and detailing the panel lines too.

Do you have a picture of the hands? I think that piece must be hard to preshade and paint.

Good stuff here. Keep us all updated.

I did not correct any flaws or fill any seams on this. I thought about doing this, because that is the way I alway build my models. However to be able to fill the seams you would have to leave much of it assembled and that would have made painting difficult. I was more concerned with getting a nice finish. Here is a picture of the hands. You are correct, pre-shading is difficult on a piece this small. I just did a bit, the detail on the hands will be better seen after a wash and some dry brushing.

post-24-1072285649_thumb.jpg

I received Anasazi excellent decals and was able to decide on a shade of gray to match. Here is an image of the masking in place to be able to spray that darker gray. I also touched up the pre-shading on these areas before painting.

post-24-1072285796_thumb.jpg

I have already applied a future coat before decaling. I will not seal in the decals before the wash. I have never had a problem with washes effecting decals. I will apply a matt finish to seal everything in as a last step.