KUNG FURY (trailer)

Ghost Train

It was everything I hoped for, and then some. It's a crying shame most of my coworkers and acquaintances are millennials that won't appreciate the homage, the few friends I know that were born in the 80's got a huge kick out of it.

I'm a cop from the future. David Sandberg, a.k.a. Kung Fury. AMA!

Excerpts from the AMA (all quotes by Sandberg):
- "Triceracop can shoot a fly in the dick from 500 yards away, it's his one skill that he prides on. He got top dick shot at the academy."
- "I was super nervous because it didn't feel like a Cannes movie and I was afraid people would hate it. We watched it in a room with 500 people, and people were laughing like crazy, cheering etc. I couldn't hear anything for the first 10 minutes because people were laughing so much. It was awesome."
- [On David Hasselhoff] "He called just after he saw it and said he was laughing his ass off. He was also very happy that about Hoff 9000, we did that as a bonus while he was in Sweden shooting the music video, so it was nice to get that cameo in there too."
- "We've been getting a lot of requests for that Jacket [from the "True Survivor" music video] and believe me I want one too! We've been sending the jacket around to different factories to get some quotes, so the good news is it's happening, it's just a question of when we can get it out. The Hoff was awesome, when I first met him he was wearing the Knight Rider jacket, and all he talked about was Knight Rider, it's his pride and joy and rightly so. He's super friendly and easy to work with, and the mood on the set when we shot the music video was magical."
- "I've always wanted to make a film with dinosaurs, robots and cops. And when I listened to the sweet tunes of Mitch Murder around 3 years ago it all became very clear to me, the 80s is the perfect decade to combine all of these into a film, because somehow in the 80s everything was ok to do. It's such a fun decade to work within, from the clothes, to the tech, to the music. It's incredibly cool and cheesy at the same time, that's what I love about it."
- "We're working on expanding it into a feature length, there's a first draft ready but it needs some fine tuning to get it perfect. The 30 minute version is very intense and I wanted to sort of compress a feature into 30 minutes, which is why it moves very fast. But also I think it's part of the comedy that you almost get zero time for reflection, but there would definitely be some breathing room in the feature."
- "Yes, that sequence was so much fun putting together and a great collaboration with the stunt coordinator, the camera crew, and the post production team, it was really challenging. We're going to post a VFX breakdown of that sequence. But basically it's 63 takes combined into one. First we shot Kung Fury in 5 passes, just punching and kicking in the air, then we did reaction shots from the Nazi soldiers, 62 takes of a nazis running into the scene and falling in different ways. Then it was just a huge puzzle that had to be stitched together in post. It took us 5 months to complete. I hear you on the final battle with KF vs Hitler, I really wanted to have a huge fight scene with them, battling through time, you know in once instance they're fighting in a cowboy saloon brawl, the next they're surrounded by dinos in the dino age etc. It was too expensive to pull off unfortunately, but it's something I hope we can do in the feature."
- "Yeah I was inspired by old fighting games like Streets of Rage and Street Fighter, and also the long fight sequence in Old Boy that sequence just blew me away when I first saw it."
- "When I made this the first thing I thought of was the title, and I thought Kung Fury was such a cool title, but I didn't know any Kung Fu, and at the time it was just me working on it. So the idea I had was to 3d animate my legs, so I could at least do some cool kicks, at the end of the trailer I used that technique. But it ended up being to complex for the bunker fight scene so we brought in a double. Magnus Garneij, he's a machine. The advice I have is to have patience, believe 100% in what you do. Practice, read a lot, learn. The internet has also changed everything in the way people get noticed now, it has brought the power to the people, I couldn't have done Kung Fury just a few years ago before Kickstarter. So I was very lucky in that regard. I also highly suggest the book Story by Robert McKee, when I first read it it was like an A-ha moment on every page."
- [Commenting on Danger 5] "I have, and I love it. I've been emailing with Dario Russo the Director, he's an awesome dude. And season 2 takes place in the 80s, I can't wait to see it."
- "IIRC the alley scene with Red Ninja, Viking Age, The Miami dock, everything else is greenscreen. Thank you man, that means a lot to me and the crew!"
- "I had already started shooting Kung Fury when the Blood Dragon trailer came out, but I was really excited about it because it featured music by "Powerglove" that inspired me a lot and also it seemed people really liked it which gave me some hope for when launching the trailer for Kung Fury. The guy who plays Hackerman is actually a male model so I thought it could be pretty funny if he had a brother called Handsomeman, who's really dumb, but rich and successful that Hackerman is super jealous of."
- "I was influenced by
Terminator, Robocop, Back to the Future, Big Trouble in Little China, Miami Vice, He-Man etc, and also very influenced by Mitch Murder's music."

- "He accidentally opened up a portal to 1985 Miami instead of Killing him. Also, was it Thor's lightning bolt that created Kung Fury in the first place?"

My only fear from possibility of it going into full length cinema, is David keeping all control over the project. It's beautiful because it's exactly what a "throwback" movie should be. We don't need reboot's of old properties, but new takes on what made them great. Kung Fury is the actual interpretation of what make independents the most needed asset in the film industry as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a demo reel of the CGI effects.

Here's the script to storyboard to film reel of the Kung Fury vs. Arcade Robot scene.

Also, Sandberg was recently interviewed by Entertainment Weekly.

What the hell is Kung Fury, and who on Earth made it? Some Answers...

And who is Thor?

"Behold - it is me, Thor! Son of Odin, and protector of mankind. Check out my pecs!"

Edited by areaseven

Looks like a movie is coming.

I think the person who shot this is friends with Thor... Unfortunately she moves around a lot and has an annoying laugh haha.

Edited by Gakken85

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...