FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

Ya now its me. [insert puke emoticon] :blink: That is more scary cuz its my character. Dream about Abombz's character.

(goes to clean off the dirt)

Um... At least was I wearing Iron Musketeer armor?

No, you were wearing that red and tan armor lots of elvann's wear.

You looked cool at least :p

Vostok 7

Yeah, I hate it when people train to the zone spots. I've been guilty of it before, but usually if I'm zoning, I try not to get linkers... That way at the most, one or two aggros will end up at the zone spot. I've seen people drag 5, 6, 7 gobs to the zone. GRRR.

I experienced the very same thing earlier today (Sat, 1/17). Entered the Valkurm Dunes from Selbina only to find about 6 goblins and a bogy just outside town. I zoned REALLY quickly back into Selbina. There was a good 20 or more people gathered around the gate. LOL

I mamnaged to find a really good party and gained 3 levels. 3 more to go and I can finally ride a chocobo :)

I have reached my FFXI gaming limit. At lv30, no interest in any of the advanced classes, and with no possibility of doing the expansion job classes quests, unless I force myself to lv my warrior to lv60, which I cannot do as I'm sick and tired of that stupid useless class.... I will be quiting at the end of the month. <_

What server are you on Beltane?

I'm on Ifrit, the server that not a single person I know is on, :lol: . I have made a few friends on Ifrit, it's just that most of the people I know outside of the game are on other servers

If any of you wind up on Ifrit, just look for Kaelanis, a male Elvaan Red Mage. You can usually find me in the areas around San d'Oria.

I have reached my FFXI gaming limit. At lv30, no interest in any of the advanced classes, and with no possibility of doing the expansion job classes quests, unless I force myself to lv my warrior to lv60, which I cannot do as I'm sick and tired of that stupid useless class.... I will be quiting at the end of the month. <_<

Say abombz, if your gonna quit at the end of the month... could I have your stuff?

Oh no fair. Hey we've already started circling. If I ever quit there's a whole lot of furniture in my mog house I'd have to give up.

Let's what did I do today. Got lvl21 and a linkshell. ^_^ I'm soo happy. I'm actually making friends.

I did a little party with another guy doing what I'm trying to do, level his subjob to 10 before continuing... He was subbing RDM20 with BLM10 and was at 8 so he partied with me and we just powered through stuff. Got killed by a Shrapnel, then moved on to lighter stuff lol.

We took out two chains in a row... Two lizzies chained, then two Quadavs chained on us at the same time... we took them all out without a problem.

It was fulfilling.

Vostok 7

Though I wasn't near the level that Abombz was I can understand where she is coming from. I've actually already stopped playing and went back to Everquest of all things. My characters were actually there but I'm broke ;). Honeslty I really wanted to play the advance classes but I don't care for having to force myself to play another basic class just to get to the level to start the advance class quest then find a group of likewise level if not higher level people in order to actually gain access to it. Then comes the level grind again just to get back to the point you were before to continue with missions and to explore more areas. It was fun for a while but just not for me anyway.

Edited by Effect

I have reached my FFXI gaming limit. At lv30, no interest in any of the advanced classes, and with no possibility of doing the expansion job classes quests, unless I force myself to lv my warrior to lv60, which I cannot do as I'm sick and tired of that stupid useless class.... I will be quiting at the end of the month. <_<

What brought that on? :blink:

If you want to be the damage dealer (I'm assuming you don't want to be paladin), you can always be a dark knight. As advanced jobs go, the quest is insanely simple, with its only drawback being that it's time consuming. Though, at level 30, your warrior should have no problem.

Edited by imode

Though I wasn't near the level that Abombz was I can understand where she is coming from. I've actually already stopped playing and went back to Everquest of all things. My characters were actually there but I'm broke ;). Honeslty I really wanted to play the advance classes but I don't care for having to force myself to play another basic class just to get to the level to start the advance class quest then find a group of likewise level if not higher level people in order to actually gain access to it. Then comes the level grind again just to get back to the point you were before to continue with missions and to explore more areas. It was fun for a while but just not for me anyway.

Technically this is planned quite well. People don't often care for it, but it can be quite rewarding, especially for a warrior. Start with warrior, level to 18 and get your subjob. Start with thief, level to 15 and switch back to warrior. Take warrior from 18-30 (dont even need to touch thief anymore) then find someone to help you with the advance job of your choice (dark knight, bard, ranger can all be done easily by one's self). Get new job, and just continue on till whatever. You won't even have to worry about warrior until level 60. If you're getting tired of power leveling, then get side tracked. Do some questing. Do some missions. Make some money. Go fishing. Start crafting.

Grinding levels isn't what the game is about, so if that's all you plan to do, then there's a million other games out there for you where you don't have to pay $13 a month.

That's what I've been doing all this time while getting lvls. I've got a little on the fishing skill done lots of quests and everything else. I don't think I could just play a MMORPG and just make a superstrong character without actually progressing in the story.

Heh.

Here's Norg. It's past Kazahm, through Yutuhnga and through the Sea Serpent Grotto. The ninja quest will take you to here and Samurai quests starts here up those stairs on the right. If you guys were on my server I'd take you to see it. :(

post-26-1074666707_thumb.jpg

yeah, those servers have been down for long enough... I was almost to lv. 10 and I was hoping to get there before I went to bed tonight (Lv. 10 seems to be one of the big "opening up" levels)

What does one have to do to obtain an airship pass? be a certain level? or do a certain quest?

yeah, those servers have been down for long enough... I was almost to lv. 10 and I was hoping to get there before I went to bed tonight (Lv. 10 seems to be one of the big "opening up" levels)

What does one have to do to obtain an airship pass? be a certain level? or do a certain quest?

To get an airpass you can buy it for 400,000gil or so.

Or, you can gain rank 5 and get the pass free from the archduke of jeuno.

:lol: I will attempt to get Rank5 eventually to get the airship pass and also the ability to buy the Iron Musketteer Cuirass with my rank points. My bro, on the other hand, could prolly afford the airship pass in another 5-6 lvls.

Technically this is planned quite well. People don't often care for it, but it can be quite rewarding, especially for a warrior. Start with warrior, level to 18 and get your subjob. Start with thief, level to 15 and switch back to warrior. Take warrior from 18-30 (dont even need to touch thief anymore) then find someone to help you with the advance job of your choice (dark knight, bard, ranger can all be done easily by one's self). Get new job, and just continue on till whatever. You won't even have to worry about warrior until level 60. If you're getting tired of power leveling, then get side tracked. Do some questing. Do some missions. Make some money. Go fishing. Start crafting.

Grinding levels isn't what the game is about, so if that's all you plan to do, then there's a million other games out there for you where you don't have to pay $13 a month.

True grinding levels shouldn't be what the game is all about but if order to actually explore and do the story, missions, quest one needs to grind levels to safely travel in either a group or solo. It needs to be done in order to get the job class you actually want to play. Either way they made it the main focus of the game, like all other mmorpg. At least in other games which are still level grinds, traveling between the different kingdoms/cities are is less troublesome and safe to a degree. Its more luck in FFXI since you have to run. Isn't like you can be teleported, take a boat out of the city or an airship. In order to get money, one needs to kill. In order to kill things that give items for lot of money one needs to level grind. Its endless and I accept that. To say any mmorpg is different is kinda silly in my opinion. Just that some pull it off better then orders or try to hid that fact more by making certain things easier and less in your face until later one. FFXI makes things very clear how things will be early on. In order to truely enjoy the setting and story one needs to level or they will seriously be held back and limited to one area of the game. Crafting has one result, to make weapons, armor and items to be used in battle to aid the level grind. I just didn't care for how things actually were in this game. I might return if things change a bit later on, better interface for one but not much left for me. I'm better off at a different place. I still think the game was good just not for me. There is a lot of good but also bad.

The problem with the game is not griding levels... is the fact that you cannot do anything by yourself. I know doing things by yourself defeats the whole purpose of an MMORPG, but what FFXI does is ridiculous! Heck.... I need a pt just so I can go in the bathroom in that damn game, and I'm surprised I can reach mog houses without the aid of a high powered japanese player. I swear, having to look for players who I can't communicate with is quite possibly the worst gaming time I have ever had in my life. Why can't they lower the lv cap for the expansion jobs? I feel really sorry for the fools who thought that an all american server was the way to go.

And you know what? It sucks to have to force yourself through a job class you don't care about just so you can get the one you want. Why should I force myself to play with a paladin or a dark knight or a bard just so I can get Samurai? By the time I reach lv60 and can solo the samurai quest, I will be so burned out at this game that I won't even care about the damn job anymore.

I honestly don't mind lv grinding.... my only gripe against it is that Square gives you a real fake sense of power on the first 8 lvs, specially for advanced classes. As a dark knight, I went from taking tough mobs without breaking a sweat, untill I reach lv9 and everything above easy was enough to have me running for zone. The same thing for paladin.... its nice to take 4 or 5 tough mobs without breaking a sweat, right? Wrong.... by lv9, you can't even do half of what you could at lv5.

I understand that Japanese players have been playing that game forever now, but as days go by, the rift between english speaking gamers and japanese speaking gamers increases at an alarming rate. You want to know why? Because, simply put, american games suck the thick one. One of the reasons I'm quitting the game is that the current crop of FFXI gamers suck. And I'm not saying that because I heard horror stories, I'm saying that because I have witnessed it myself. The sheer stupidity and complete disregard for party etiquette is amazing. Why can't new players understand that whms aren't pullers? Why can't they understand that by default, a paladin can tank better then a warrior at any time of the day? Why must they insist on pulling mobs away from a paladin? And I swear... to get to lv20 and not know how to pull or avoid agro is a frakking crime. <_<

The problem with the game is not griding levels... is the fact that you cannot do anything by yourself. I know doing things by yourself defeats the whole purpose of an MMORPG, but what FFXI does is ridiculous! Heck.... I need a pt just so I can go in the bathroom in that damn game, and I'm surprised I can reach mog houses without the aid of a high powered japanese player. I swear, having to look for players who I can't communicate with is quite possibly the worst gaming time I have ever had in my life. Why can't they lower the lv cap for the expansion jobs? I feel really sorry for the fools who thought that an all american server was the way to go.

And you know what? It sucks to have to force yourself through a job class you don't care about just so you can get the one you want. Why should I force myself to play with a paladin or a dark knight or a bard just so I can get Samurai? By the time I reach lv60 and can solo the samurai quest, I will be so burned out at this game that I won't even care about the damn job anymore.

I couldn't agree with this more. Sure I don't expect to do everything by myself and one shouldn't, especially at the higher levels and in the high level zones. The fact that you need a full party for anything that gives worth while experince is crazy. Try taking on something with out a balance party is crazy.

Having to force myself to play a monk, red mage, warrior, etc when I really wanted to play a Paladin, Dark Knight, Bard, Summonor is just crazy. Look at all the past Final Fantasy games, Only in the first few games on the NES were any member of your party a warrior, red mage, etc. Everything after that jobs are mixed or customed. This is what players have in their minds when think of Final Fantasy classes. Everyone most likely looks forward to the advance classes. Like said by the time you get to them you are so burnt out you don't give a damn about them anymore.

True american players do seem to have a problem playing but I don't blame that on because they are american players but on the fact they are console players. I doubt this game attracted many current mmorpg players, if they did then how players played would have been different. Though I can understand some confusion. In all other games Warriors are the main tanks while Paladins or hybrid melee's are weaker and usually used as backup tanks. Its not like anything about a Paladin being better is every said or easily reachable. You can't asked the Japanese players due to the language barrier. Its a circle. They don't want to group with english speaking players cause they don't know how to play and they say they are rude. Well American players can't ask the more experience players questions due to the language so problems arise. Doubt anyone that thinks a healer should be fighting or pulling is just plain stupid and have never played a Final Fantasy game in their life or even read up on one.

Yeh, I'm gonna have to agree with that too. I don't have the same gripes, as I can understand Japanese and whenever possible try to play with them instead of the Americans. The whole non-solo part isn't what really bugs me though. What really bugs me is the fact that unless all members of the party are on the same level or +- 1 different, the xp will pretty much suck.

Now the ultimate sucky part is that the rare items in the game are so rare that it makes me want to stab my eyeballs out. Now I'm sure you've all seen the disclaimer when you first start the game, especially the part about where it says "Don't forget your family, friends, school, work, etc..." Then Square goes and makes the special monster that drops it spawn once every 24 hours (give or take 12 hours). Not only that, but if you ever happen to randomly encounter said monster, it's far too strong unless you have a full party to take it on. In this case of course, you'll have to split the loot six-ways, meaning if the item ever drops (there's no guarantee that it will...), you still won't get it, as your party will be telling you to put it up for auction.

That being said... I'm still having fun. If you want to play one class and only one class (where that one class just so happens to be one of those really tough expansion job ones) then I must admit, you're a bit out of luck there. Eventually I'd like to try a little bit of everything, so the game is perfect for me in that respect, especially since my main job is one of the original 6. If the game doesn't work for you, then there's no way to get around it.

There's always World of Warcraft to wait for. :)

Agreed, totally. Especially with what she said about not being able to do anything on your own in the game. I've been griping about that since day one.. yet a friend of mine just says it's because I'm missing the point of playing a MMORPG and that I'm anti-social. No. I'll say it again...

Playing in a party is fine.

NEEDING a party to get anywhere is not.

The game effectively penalizes you for not playing with others, and that flat-out sucks. FFXI is a good effort by SquareEnix, considering this is their first attempt at an online game, but forcing players to party in order to make reasonable progress or get anything done is a major flaw in my opinion. :angry:

True american players do seem to have a problem playing but I don't blame that on because they are american players but on the fact they are console players. I doubt this game attracted many current mmorpg players, if they did then how players played would have been different. Though I can understand some confusion. In all other games Warriors are the main tanks while Paladins or hybrid melee's are weaker and usually used as backup tanks. Its not like anything about a Paladin being better is every said or easily reachable. You can't asked the Japanese players due to the language barrier. Its a circle. They don't want to group with english speaking players cause they don't know how to play and they say they are rude. Well American players can't ask the more experience players questions due to the language so problems arise. Doubt anyone that thinks a healer should be fighting or pulling is just plain stupid and have never played a Final Fantasy game in their life or even read up on one.

I don't think they being console gamers has anything to do with how they act. Seriously... its not coop multi player games are something new for console gamers. The ones I refer to simply refuse to work together, it makes pting unbearable. And in a game so party driven, it kills all the fun in the game.

And this game did attract more MMORPG players then you can imagine, I have yet to get in a party that someone hasn't used EQ jargon, mentioned SWG or talked about how fun Asherons Call was.

Its not about confusion.... after the first battle, if theres an experienced player in a party, the first thing they do is tell everyone what their role in the party is. Thats when the refusal to comply comes in. I have seem warriors bitch about how they should be tanking instead of the paladin, when the paladin clearly said he had the better defense (note, at lv10 he had better defense then both lv12 warriors), not just that, he was subbing as a war, giving him an ever greater advantage, defense wise. If he was more experienced, why the heck should they not do what he says? <_<

A mage that pulls and fights is a moron... why? If in 10 lvs of game experience they haven't noticed that even the easiest of mobs can rape them without breaking a sweat, how can he not be a moron? Its called trial and error, and even the most basic of minds can comprehend that. Is the same thing with whms that won't heal because they are scared of getting killed or tanks that won't provoke. Its a lv of stupidity that makes even the ppl around them feel dumber. Ppl just can't begin to understand the lv of reward you get from doing your job well.

For example, after 5 days in Kazham trying to reach lv30, I finally get in a good party. I had been partying with the same 2 whms for all 5 days, and I was doing my best to keep both of them alive. I once manage to single handedly keep both of them from harms way when facing a Goblin Smithy who had raped 5 other parties in the area, no one in my party died because I managed to keep it "entertained" while everyone ran the heck out of that zone. And what happens in the last day? I log in, and in less then 5 minutes I get about 15 tells from different ppl wanting me to join their party. The previous 4 days, took me around 1 or 2 hours to get into a decent party, and in the last day I had ppl killing themselves to have me in their parties..... and why? Because I tried my best to do my job well and I listened to more experienced players. And you know what? It was alot of fun to be in a party that new what they were doing. Why can't the new players understand that? Why can't they understand that "fame" will make this game much more fun to play? Because they are stupid idiots who don't like to listen to advice, and who think their way is the right way.

Yes those are the types of ppl who you see lying on the ground dead while everyone runs over their carcasses. those are the type of ppl who need a PT of 4 to defeat a weak little thing and try to bitch at you on how you should use another type of weapon.

Those type of ppl won't get very far in the game and if they do its only because someone was very nice to them and helped them out.

Sometimes I wish we could P/K then I would nuke half of the idiots myself.