FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

And you can run from mobs in FFXI. There are plenty of other characters in the area you are in. Call for help... and start running. It works 90% of the time. Either run to a zone.... or run to a place you know theres plenty of ppl.

As they say in Japanese, meiwaku kakenai you ni which means, Try not to make trouble for others. While zoning or running to an area with more players may help you, it could also cause problems for other groups. If banshees or wights pop on you and you run to the zone at Delkfut, that leaves the aggro cruising around right outside Delkfut with a number of other groups around. If they're in a fight, that could spell big trouble for them. In wide areas like Qufim it doesn't present much of a problem, but later on you fight only in dungeons, and there's always only one way to escape. When you drag a big train of monsters to the zone, especially from deep within an area, it effectively freezes any activity there until the monsters walk back to their original spawn points. (This also applies to fighting in close proximity to other parties against monsters that cast AOE spells like gob bombs.)

Heheheh..... thats why I have the macro "Incoming train , who ever is in , either get out of the way or try to kill it" along with a call for help. Works every time and I have yet to kill many ppl. And I have noticed that, at least when I used to go pting in Qufim, there was a couple of lv54 DRK killing whatever train went through there. And besides, ppl have learned that walking through Qufim at night is a big no no! :lol:

I just had my first party experience and it was a good one. Several of us undertook that "sightseeing tour" of Bastok quest... did some decent levelling up too. Afterwords me and this other guy went and went Quadav hunting until we could start killing them on our own. Now I've just got to get some decent gear..... this butterknife "onion sword" just isn't cutting it (no pun intended). Later we went after some river crabs... but with two Quads aggro-ing us and their super high defense, we got smacked down. But I'm starting to earn money and XP, so it's all good. Still on level 6 right now, but that'll soon change!

That took you how long Vos? j/k Now get lvl20 so we can ride chocobo's together

What level have you gotten so far? Are you any closer to the end?

To answer your question.... no he is not. You can reach lv50 by normal lving means, and then you cna undertake 4 different quests to raise the lv cap to 55, 60, 65, and 70 (I think it might go as high as 80).

I hope she's not trying rub it in.

I'm not exactly trying to rub it in, as the current lv up spot I have to go to, is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Kazham, is a terrible lving spot, but you have to be there. Yesterday there was hardly anyone there (at 1 point, there were 6 ppl in the entire region). The creatures you have to hunt are mandragoras, they are wimpy little creatures that will give you a ton of xp but are close to impossible to hit. The draw back.... they are usually clustered around Goblin Smithys. These are high lv gob butchers for those who play the game. While mandragoras can hit you for 10 damage twice, smithys hit you for 80 damage. We were hauling around a lv24 blm with us, and at some point, after being agroed by a smithy, the damn gob made a bee line straight to the blm! It was a 1 hit kill, it was almost sad.

Took me 6 hours to gain 1 lv, and I even died twice.... both times at hands of a goblin. Whats worst, we decided it was a nice idea (it was mostly my idea, a bad one at that) to try and "rape" the crap out of a gob that made us zone. We all had to use our 2 hour job abilities, and even then our whms still had to use benediction. Funny.... for the first time, I saw a whm survive after using benediction. :blink:

And you can run from mobs in FFXI. There are plenty of other characters in the area you are in. Call for help... and start running. It works 90% of the time. Either run to a zone.... or run to a place you know theres plenty of ppl.

As they say in Japanese, meiwaku kakenai you ni which means, Try not to make trouble for others. While zoning or running to an area with more players may help you, it could also cause problems for other groups. If banshees or wights pop on you and you run to the zone at Delkfut, that leaves the aggro cruising around right outside Delkfut with a number of other groups around. If they're in a fight, that could spell big trouble for them. In wide areas like Qufim it doesn't present much of a problem, but later on you fight only in dungeons, and there's always only one way to escape. When you drag a big train of monsters to the zone, especially from deep within an area, it effectively freezes any activity there until the monsters walk back to their original spawn points. (This also applies to fighting in close proximity to other parties against monsters that cast AOE spells like gob bombs.)

I saw that happen in Kazham way too often yesterday.... untill we decided it was a better idea to move to a spot behind a wall. The thing is... random players would still get agroed and pull their train to that spot. <_<

What character are you using and who do you recommend?

Errr... thats not really a question I can answer. Its really up to your playing style.

If you like being a punching bag, dealing the ocasional damage, then be a warrior. If you like dealing damage, having tons of hit points, and blazing through the first 12 levels, then be a monk. If you like being a war, but don't want to be the punching bag, and dealing massive amounts of damage after lv15, then be a thief. If you are a mage kind of guy, who would like to be able to use a sword and heal at the same time, be a red mage. If you like being the most important piece of a party, having ppl kill themselves to have you, but going through insane amounts of boredom between lv8 through 10, then be a white mage. Like casting all sorts of neat black magic, then be a black mage and watch as you deal the most damage during a battle.

You can have 2 jobs once you get past a certain spot in the game. And the advanced jobs are either more specific versions of the basic jobs or completly new jobs. For example, paladins and dark knights are simple warrior split in half, with paladins being tankers (able to take damage better then anyone else, and being able to heal) and dark knights being attackers.

As far as races go.... theres really little difference between all of them. Though.... certain traits are noticeable. For example, tarutarus make awsome mages (high magic) but not so good warriors (low strength). Humans and Mithras are sort of jack of all trades. Galkans make great warriors (ugly ones at that) but not so good mages (low magic). Elvaans are sort of jack of all trades too but I heard they have slightly lower magic and dexterity (they miss alot).

I'm currently playing as a human warrior, with thief as a sub job. And honestly, I can't wait to dump this class for a more appropriate job class. Don't get me wrong, warriors are easy to level, but I got really tired of being a punching bag and rarely hitting an enemy. I want to do a quest to aquire the samurai job class, and then I'm still undecided on what comes next.

If you are planning on getting the game, just pic a race, pic a job (you can easily change it if you don't like it) and see which one fits your way of playing. :)

Edited by Abombz!!

Thanks for the tip. Is Yuna a safe pick?

:unsure:

I think you're thinking of FFX-2 buddy.

FFXI is an online MMORPG like SWG and/or Evercrack... There really are no "characters"

Vostok 7

Sorry & thanks for the heads up.

Boo. I'm 1700xp away before I can start kicking with my monk, but now I have no Internet for the next 2 weeks (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/01/15/hawaii.winds.ap/index.html).

Oh well, I guess I gotta find something else to do while I wait.

2 weeks? How come? :huh:

I'm 12k xp away from never having to touch my warrior again.... and you don't know how good that makes me feel. I just hope I don't have to go back to kazham ever again for lving. <_<

Watch you talking about abombz? You mean your changing to some other job? Like perhaps SAM or PAL before the rest of us can even catch up to you. You'll be the one in the big fancy armor while we run around in our scrubs.

Watch you talking about abombz? You mean your changing to some other job? Like perhaps SAM or PAL before the rest of us can even catch up to you. You'll be the one in the big fancy armor while we run around in our scrubs.

Hasn't that always been the case? <_<

Vostok 7

Boo.  I'm 1700xp away before I can start kicking with my monk, but now I have no Internet for the next 2 weeks (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/01/15/hawaii.winds.ap/index.html).

I'm 12k xp away from never having to touch my warrior again.... and you don't know how good that makes me feel. I just hope I don't have to go back to kazham ever again for lving. <_<

There was a big power surge and I think it fried my cable modem. I called time warner and they were like, "We can get to you by the 27th. Of course we'll refund you for the downtime..."

Wha...?

Anyway, I'm gonna try trade in my cable modem during my lunch break to day so we'll see. If my inet comes back I'll try to post some pics of locations you guys haven't been to yet that you may want to check out as you begin to level up.

Trust me.... warriors suck. Any advanced class will be just fine.... really. Once you hit Kazham and you find either too much ppl or not enough ppl... you will wish that part of the game was over quickly. Seriously... I'm so desperate.... I will stay up tonight untill I hit lv30... no sleeping before that!! <_<

On a side note... Kazham is video game hell... but the monsters you are supposed to fight are utter whimps! Seriously... we fought an IT mandragora... and our mages even had time to sit and heal while we took damage... and by the end of the fight.... 200XP!!! :blink:

It did take us around 5 minutes to beat each mandragora. :rolleyes:

Boo.  I'm 1700xp away before I can start kicking with my monk, but now I have no Internet for the next 2 weeks (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/01/15/hawaii.winds.ap/index.html).

There was a big power surge and I think it fried my cable modem. I called time warner and they were like, "We can get to you by the 27th. Of course we'll refund you for the downtime..."

Wha...?

Anyway, I'm gonna try trade in my cable modem during my lunch break to day so we'll see. If my inet comes back I'll try to post some pics of locations you guys haven't been to yet that you may want to check out as you begin to level up.

That's too bad! Anyway can't wait for the pics.

Did Yohsho change his old avatar to Ashe?

Watch you talking about abombz? You mean your changing to some other job? Like perhaps SAM or PAL before the rest of us can even catch up to you.  You'll be the one in the big fancy armor while we run around in our scrubs.

Trust me.... warriors suck. Any advanced class will be just fine.... really. Once you hit Kazham and you find either too much ppl or not enough ppl... you will wish that part of the game was over quickly. Seriously... I'm so desperate.... I will stay up tonight untill I hit lv30... no sleeping before that!! <_<

On a side note... Kazham is video game hell... but the monsters you are supposed to fight are utter whimps! Seriously... we fought an IT mandragora... and our mages even had time to sit and heal while we took damage... and by the end of the fight.... 200XP!!! :blink:

Hahaha, aren't weak enemies what you want?! :)

Anyway, the warrior doesn't suck. He's just nothing special. Warrior is best used as a sub for a whole bunch of different classes and not as a main. Also, a warrior is only as good as his subjob is. A 30/15 war/thf would be able to do some really wonderful weaponskill damage with sneak+berserk+sturmwind, especially if its used during renkei for a level 2 ws (with the WS having the same element of the enemies weakness). Monk will also be quite good as you get counter and a ton of extra HP.

Watch you talking about abombz? You mean your changing to some other job? Like perhaps SAM or PAL before the rest of us can even catch up to you.  You'll be the one in the big fancy armor while we run around in our scrubs.

Hahaha, aren't weak enemies what you want?! :)

Anyway, the warrior doesn't suck. He's just nothing special. Warrior is best used as a sub for a whole bunch of different classes and not as a main. Also, a warrior is only as good as his subjob is. A 30/15 war/thf would be able to do some really wonderful weaponskill damage with sneak+berserk+sturmwind, especially if its used during renkei for a level 2 ws (with the WS having the same element of the enemies weakness). Monk will also be quite good as you get counter and a ton of extra HP.

Well.... if ppl in my server knew how to make a real party, monks would be pting more often. I would've been a monk, but everyone rather have 2 mages and 4 tanks. <_<

Well.... if ppl in my server knew how to make a real party, monks would be pting more often. I would've been a monk, but everyone rather have 2 mages and 4 tanks. <_<

And then forget to heal their main tank.

"Oh, I'm sorry... I was too busy forgetting you were saving our weakling mage asses." :rolleyes:

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

The unforunate thing about that is that monks are the easiest characters to level from 1-10. After that, they really have no good role in a group until they get to level 60.

Boost is useless until you get chi blast. Counter is useful, but in a perfect world, the monks shouldn't be the ones taking the damage. When you hit 40 with monk, you get to wear all the haste gear (brown/purple belt, fuma kyahan) and the ochiudo kote (+20 attack) which really begins to turn you into a destructive force. Downside to that is getting those items will cost you an arm and a leg. Before that however, your main strenth relies on your many weapon skills that let you chain easily with almost every weapon in the game. Once you hit 51 (and provided you have a 25 war sub) you will start kicking and double hitting which will get your TP up faster than anything except for samurais. By 60, you get Howling Fist which you can use to make level 3 skillchains.

When paired with a samurai, you can do no wrong. Normal fights go like this (bear in mind, at around level 40 or so):

Tachi: Kagero >> Raging Fist w/boost+sneak = Fusion >> BanishgaII (whm) >> Holy (whm)

120dmg 250-300dmg 100-150dmg 240dmg 180dmg

Regardless, even I have lots of problems getting invited as a monk. Mainly I have to ask my friends to party with me. Thank your lucky stars you didn't go with monk. :)

The unforunate thing about that is that monks are the easiest characters to level from 1-10. After that, they really have no good role in a group until they get to level 60.

Boost is useless until you get chi blast. Counter is useful, but in a perfect world, the monks shouldn't be the ones taking the damage. When you hit 40 with monk, you get to wear all the haste gear (brown/purple belt, fuma kyahan) and the ochiudo kote (+20 attack) which really begins to turn you into a destructive force. Downside to that is getting those items will cost you an arm and a leg. Before that however, your main strenth relies on your many weapon skills that let you chain easily with almost every weapon in the game. Once you hit 51 (and provided you have a 25 war sub) you will start kicking and double hitting which will get your TP up faster than anything except for samurais. By 60, you get Howling Fist which you can use to make level 3 skillchains.

When paired with a samurai, you can do no wrong. Normal fights go like this (bear in mind, at around level 40 or so):

Tachi: Kagero >> Raging Fist w/boost+sneak = Fusion >> BanishgaII (whm) >> Holy (whm)

120dmg 250-300dmg 100-150dmg 240dmg 180dmg

Regardless, even I have lots of problems getting invited as a monk. Mainly I have to ask my friends to party with me. Thank your lucky stars you didn't go with monk. :)

I agree. Between lv1 to 10, monks can take even matches without breaking a sweat (as long as you boost 6 or 7 times before battle, to give you a head start). But after that, monks aren't exactly better then the other classes. The only thing that I saw monks doing great, was at gaining TP. Yesterday, I had 2 monks in my party, and they could use 200tp WS at least twice in battle, while the tanks were struggling to get enough tp to use a WS once.

And seriously, I can see why japanese players hate american players, but some of the japanese players are spoiled. Yesterday, we had a female hume samurai soloing Goblin Smithys in Kazham. The catch, she was lv31, she couldn't take them by herself. So she would strike the gob once of twice, and run for zone. After she was safe and sound, and the gob would procede to massacre half the players sitting by the entrance. So some of of bilingual players started /telling her to look for a party. They never got an answer. So all players started shouting for her to get the @#$% out of there because they were tired of getting killed by her BS. Before leaving... she said... "You guys could've joined together to kill all those goblins". <_<

You didn't make lvl30 last night :(

Yeah, I hate it when people train to the zone spots. I've been guilty of it before, but usually if I'm zoning, I try not to get linkers... That way at the most, one or two aggros will end up at the zone spot. I've seen people drag 5, 6, 7 gobs to the zone. GRRR.

What I hate is when people drag bogys to the zones. grr. Bogys suck.

I had a dream about FFXI last night again. It starred bogys, and characters with much improved animations... I was still a scrub low level, and there was Seraphae who was now a really high class character, helping out a lower level (but still higher than me) Monk named Abombz with a couple other people. I had just been killed by a bogy when I ran into them.

Yeah, I'm pathetic.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Oi, I just realized. Vos you had a dream about my character! You know what I said about you doing that! Sukebe! If I could PK I would hunt you down and cast my large nuker spells on you!!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

:lol:

At least it wasn't a male elvann Iron Musketeer again :blink:

:ph34r:

Vostok 7