Ok. So I'll inquire about the version from the seller.

I guess my main concern.. should I be falling over my wallet to buy a turbo when the clear parts (assuming V2 with metal/plastic shoulder) is almost as good?

And isn't the left shoulder more anime accurate?

Edited by Gakken85

I think that's backward, I believe metallic is true V2, the original red shoulder releases had a normal red shoulder.

That's what I thought until I bought MISB metallic shouldered one and it was version 1, it even said so on the box. The ebay seller swore up and down that it was a version 2...

That's what I thought until I bought MISB metallic shouldered one and it was version 1, it even said so on the box. The ebay seller swore up and down that it was a version 2...

lulz. Did you ask for pictures?

lulz. Did you ask for pictures?

At the time there wasn't much information circling around about stickers defining the version on the box, which is out of character for Yamato. All there was to go off of at the time was information that all the metallic painted shouldered units were version 2, which obviously is not correct.

Ok. So I'll inquire about the version from the seller.

I guess my main concern.. should I be falling over my wallet to buy a turbo when the clear parts (assuming V2 with metal/plastic shoulder) is almost as good?

And isn't the left shoulder more anime accurate?

I had these same questions when I wanted to jump into Votoms collecting and watching the TV series and OVAs helped answer many of them.

Early in the TV series, a character named Vanilla Varta is souping up a scopedog for Chirico to go into battle. And somewhat as a joke, he paints one of the shoulders red, as for the famed death squad the Red Shoulders.

When Chirico points out that he painted the wrong shoulder, they realize he used to be on the Red Shoulders himself.

So the model 'Red Shoulder Custom' speaks to vanilla's paint job and is always the left shoulder. I believe the DMZ accessory set for this even comes with a ladder and spray paint can for Vanilla.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takara-1-18-Votoms-Scopedog-Red-Shoulder-Custom-Parts-Vanilla-Microman-Figure-/190821464673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6dd87a61

The OVA Last Red Shoulder features a squad of ex-red shoulders that get some tc dogs together to exact some revenge. NONE of the scopedogs actually has a red shoulder. So that's why the Yamato big reddish box Last Red Shoulder Turbo Custom does not actually include a red shoulder piece.

The OVA Roots of Ambition (which is one of my favorites) features many turbo customs that have a red shoulder so that's where you get the Yamato Battle Oddon Turbo Custom set that comes with a dark red shoulder piece.

Eventually I'd like to get the Yamato Vanilla RS Custom set and then I'd have to choose a standard release to put with it. So if I ever get to it, I'd have to get a V2 with clear armor to attached the Vanilla pieces to.

Yamato does have a RSC set (vanilla) that comes WITH a scopedog. But I have no idea if that is a version 1 or 2. To be safe I'd lean towards getting them separate to make sure I get a V2.

But it is my recommendation if you have limited funds, to go strongly after one of the Turbo Custom models shown in these pics here. They seem to be much tighter and problem free over either the V1 or V2 standard green scopedogs...

post-8486-0-56989900-1365515825_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG

I'm watching the show right now! SPOILERS! haha

Thanks for all that info though. I just saw the episode where Vanilla paints the shoulder. Good stuff.

Edited by Gakken85

I got him today. I'm not really sure why people say these things aren't sturdy. Picking it up and moving it.. it feel solid like a tank.

It's obviously not something you fly around the room and shake up, it's something you handle lightly due to all the moving parts, but it's not a glass sculpture like a lot of the reviews I've read.

I can say it feels a lot sturdier than a 1/60 VF-0 or a 1/48 VF-1.

It's really beautiful in it's design. I am in love with this toy and really happy to have it.

I love the dual scope visor too!

Also, I'm pleased to say the back has hooks that look like they work with the parachute sack. I think it will look fantastic with the missile launcher.

Unboxing Album:

http://imgur.com/a/DRFSV

Congrats on the buy! Liked the unboxing pics too.

The forearms on yours already look better than mine, tighter, without a big gap. The arm punch mechanism I have looks to be pulling the whole area apart.

Here is a custom Bachus from someone really talented at painting and weathering...

post-8486-0-07106300-1365678754.jpg

post-8486-0-31533900-1365678765.jpg

7485uNSh.jpg

Got the Parachute sack on. It just slots right on. I'd say for $30 bucks shipped it's a lot of value. The Sack has a lot of moving parts and it came with some spare ammo and hip covers.

I like that it perfectly matches the gray/blue of the gun and his visor. Looks really good on the SB I thinik.

Plus, there is a plastic bag of replacement parts for the joints?

I can't tell as I can't read Japanese.

FrCpDd6.jpg

Updated my Album with more pics of the upgrade pack:

http://imgur.com/a/DRFSV

Edited by Gakken85

Its no interruption! Enjoy looking at the Volks 1/8 line. They are dream purchases.

I assume this is simply to show their history, not announce a re-release of any of these kits.

( votoms is back! pffffft )

I LOVE the Vanillia sculpt. He comes with the TC, Cocanna with the Bazooka / Round Mover and Chirco with the standard Scopedog.

The also made a Fyana, wonder why she was not displayed...

post-8486-0-69737000-1366030489.jpg

post-8486-0-57655100-1366030498_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG

I got it translated:

These support parts are for locking the moveable joints in a fixed
position so that you can add other accessories (such as weapons) and
keep the body in the desired posture.

So they are fixed position lockers? that's weird. haha.

Idk, I don't have any major problems holding poses, though I haven't tried anything too crazy.

cool video :D

Edited by Gakken85

I got my Takara DMZ 06 today!!! My favorite mail-lady handed it to me right as I was going to work. Very nice way to start the day. I really need to tip her or buy her some cookies soon. Nothing like having the Mail person on your side for EMS packages. haha.

I found it for $200 including 3 day shipping from Japan. Can't beat that. Lowest I could find it on Ebay/Amazon was $260 before shipping.

From what I've read it has the following improvements over the 01:

1. Articulated hands

2. Slightly different paint scheme

3. Tighter joints and head movement.

4. Different head sculpt on Chirico

I don't have the 01 so I can't compare, but I'll look at Jenius review later on tonight. I'll also post pics of the unboxing :D

Edited by Gakken85

Mini review!

http://imgur.com/a/s8s2m

kfX12aLh.jpg

Opened up my DMZ today.

I have to say.. It's an awesome toy.

I also have to say... Yamato basically ripped everything off to make their 1/12 up to the V2, and actually made a few improvements. I actually learned a lot about my Yamato playing with this Takara. Haha.

The Gun and Hands are pretty much the same.

The upper arms are exactly the same.

I think the DMZ does the rocket punch much better. It springs easy and is a quality lock.

The Legs are almost the same, but I think the Yamato wins out for having slightly better ankle swivels which is important.

The waist skirts, and parts stay on a lot better with the Takara over the Yamato.

The detailing and paint is much better.

The balance is about the same, which surprised me. I thought this version would be a lot easier to handle. With the round mover on it's back it's about the same set-up as the Parachute sack on the SB. It's a little back heavy but poseable in the end.

The articulated hands that come with this version over the previous 01 DMZ are cool, but I couldn't get it to lock hard enough to hold the gun. So I stuck to the static gun hand. I can see it being cool for certain poses with a splayed hand.

The round mover is fantastic, though a little heavy. It has some cool articulation.

The Chirico is really cool and full of articulation. 30 points. He has almost .. too many optional hands. I assume to hold his gun and make him crawling in and out of the dog. There are a set of flesh colored AND a set of glove colored. I doubt I'll ever use them. He also comes with a little plastic stand, which is nice. There are two heads that slot on, the helmet head and the normal head.

The interior is pretty fantastic. Lots of color detail and Chirico even holds the little handles, which move.

The box was tight as hell, but each end opens up to remove the tray, unlike the old versions.

The instructions are minimal to say the least.

Overall I think it really is a better value than any single Yamato offering bar the TC, which I don't own yet.
With all the parts and figure right out of the box you really can't beat it the way Yamato nickle and dimed due to the size.

I would say it's a better toy, bar the TC, but the Yamato is a better experience, if that makes sense.

I would love to see Takara's ingenuity and innovations with the Masterpiece line re-applied to this toy, as you can tell the technology isn't quite there.

Z3I273fh.jpg

Rocking out on my record player! haha

Edited by Gakken85

You feel that way about the TC too? haha.

I don't mind posing my SB, as I posed him for that last photo, but yeah it can be annoying. The Takara is a better value out of the box for sure.

Most DMZ Takra run around $250 and you get the figure, a large accessory, and paint haha.

However, you can get a V1-V2 Yamato pretty cheap these days. Probably less than a $100 due to their size and small market. The you have to buy some accessories to dress it up.

I think the main issue is the design of the toy itself. Including the Dog gimmick, the boxy chest for a pilot, and the way the feet look.. it must lead to design challenges.

Edited by Gakken85