VF-9 Cutlass

Chthonic

I had ECC do some texture tweeking to make it darker and more realistic - Here's a sneak peak at the VF-14

ECC NEED HELP WITH THE VF-14'S GUNPOD- I KNOW THERE'S NOT A LOT OF REFERENCE BUT ECC NEEDS OUR HELP

He was having problems with the landing gear surprisingly he based it on the real SR-71, but I wanted it to be accurate as possible

Looks like he is using the views I created from my papercraft version of the VF-14. :D Hope it is usefull.

EastCoastCanuck here.. I'm almost done building this model,but I will need decent reference for the right gun its supposed to use.The game snapshot is a start but only gives me its basic overall shape.I thought it might've had the same gun design I was given in the reference material Chthonic gave me.. but looks like I might not be able to use it.Might have to take a lot of liberties and make up my own details otherwise.

As for the VF9 it came out pretty well,but its transformations are kinda tricky.The shoulder bar with the arms just clip through the model once I animated the transforms.So they end up either going through the leg/engines or the upper engines no matter how I try to twist those parts around.

I've been researching around alot when I made the VF-14 papercraft. So I can help you out a little. The Gunpod is mostly the same like the one of the VF-17. It is stored in the "right leg" of the VF-14 (according to Macross M3 transformation animation). If there is anything you want to know, just ask me.

vf-17d-teal-gunpod.gif

Looks like he is using the views I created from my papercraft version of the VF-14. :D Hope it is usefull.

I've been researching around alot when I made the VF-14 papercraft. So I can help you out a little. The Gunpod is mostly the same like the one of the VF-17. It is stored in the "right leg" of the VF-14 (according to Macross M3 transformation animation). If there is anything you want to know, just ask me.

vf-17d-teal-gunpod.gif

I've been watching the opening over and over it's looks different. it looks like it has a GUN STOCK Extender.

I was using top and side images from a low-poly model to ensure proper proportions.. guess it was Urashiman's from the sounds of it.

Thanks for the image of the more proper gun design,I'll try using that one.. however I'm not sure that it's even going to fit in the leg without it ending up too small,especailly for the handle to fit properly into the hand,

So I shouldn't try using that design either?I don't know how much I can use from fuzzy images in the video since specific details are blurred.

The Gunpod is mostly the same like the one of the VF-17. It is stored in the "right leg" of the VF-14 (according to Macross M3 transformation animation).

Sorry, no on both counts.

See VF5SS's post immediately preceding this for the overall shape. The official setting materials state it is mounted externally. (believe you me, I checked before posting essentially the same info in an earlier thread. If anything, the Fz-109's gun pod should be the best fit (given that VF's design history), but it's not.

In the video it looks like a VF-11 gun.

That sounds about right, as they were developed at the same time and had a fly-off against each other in Project Nova to become the next main force fighter.

I think I'll go ahead with texturing the model in the meantime and leave the gunpod for last,at least until I know for sure how it's supposed to look.At least the screenshots give me sort of an idea,but it would be nice to have a closer look.

Sorry, no on both counts.

See VF5SS's post immediately preceding this for the overall shape. The official setting materials state it is mounted externally. (believe you me, I checked before posting essentially the same info in an earlier thread. If anything, the Fz-109's gun pod should be the best fit (given that VF's design history), but it's not.

That sounds about right, as they were developed at the same time and had a fly-off against each other in Project Nova to become the next main force fighter.

A good point you've got there. But I was working around with Macross M3 to check out the most stuff for the VF-14. I'd like to record the transformation animation so you could see it with your own eyes. In Macross M3 (in game) the Gun-Pod isn't mounted externally. But if the official docs say it is on the outside, I'll believe that. Is there any information about where it is mounted?

I was using top and side images from a low-poly model to ensure proper proportions.. guess it was Urashiman's from the sounds of it.

Thanks for the image of the more proper gun design,I'll try using that one.. however I'm not sure that it's even going to fit in the leg without it ending up too small,especailly for the handle to fit properly into the hand,

So I shouldn't try using that design either?I don't know how much I can use from fuzzy images in the video since specific details are blurred.

Be carefull, the views I created are kinda inaccurate. I'm currently working on better ones because I wanted to create a high detail VF-14 myself too. When I'm done with the more accurate views I'll give them to you, so you can get the best results.

A good point you've got there. But I was working around with Macross M3 to check out the most stuff for the VF-14. I'd like to record the transformation animation so you could see it with your own eyes. In Macross M3 (in game) the Gun-Pod isn't mounted externally. But if the official docs say it is on the outside, I'll believe that. Is there any information about where it is mounted?

Be carefull, the views I created are kinda inaccurate. I'm currently working on better ones because I wanted to create a high detail VF-14 myself too. When I'm done with the more accurate views I'll give them to you, so you can get the best results.

Might be too late for that since I've already built it (there's a couple renderings already posted).I did make some small adjustments here and there and it still

looks like it should from other reference materials I have.I'll have to see how well it transforms once I start linking parts together.

As for the gun,I think I'll place it externally as it'll likely be too big to fit into the leg.

In Macross M3 (in game) the Gun-Pod isn't mounted externally. But if the official docs say it is on the outside, I'll believe that. Is there any information about where it is mounted?

The games sometimes have innaccuaracies (i.e. the VF-17 has an externally mounted gun pod in MDM:VF-X).

All the info I've collated on the VF-14 can be found in the linky I posted earlier in this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37886&view=findpost&p=1011966

I forgot to add missile bays for it.. the area where missiles are stored are in the arm portion of the engines?

I think you're confusing the location with how the launcher hatch opens. Here's the relevant info from the link:

The VF-14 has an internal missile launcher pod in the substructure of the engine nacelles, which are equipped with 2-rows of 4-shots of medium sized missiles. It has a structure where the hatch opens on two arms.

(location information in bold)

Oh,I see.. I misinterpretted the part about the hatch opening on arms,thinking of the arms themselves.So I'm guessing this works similar to the way they open on the fz 109a? In which case I'll probably will have to move the wheels to another location.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't see how people hate like the GERWALK or battroid modes of the VF-9 so much

The GERWALK looks totally menacing, like a bird of prey. I think it is neat how the whole nose props up like that.

As for the battroid? It may not be the best, but it is totally better than the skinny, sucked-in gut/out-thrust crotch look of everything from Frontier.

Let's agree to disagree.. ;)

The reason I like the VF-9 (aside from the weapons assigned to it in the game, which are noncanonical as far as I can discover) is that it's so small compared to any other VF, but still has full transformation ability and is super sleek in F, unlike most smaller mecha (coughcoughLegiosscough) and the articulated cockpit pod in G is a nifty unique feature. Being so small and hence light and with the wing layout, it's no wonder it had better maneuverability than its contemporaries.