I honestly think had it not been for how crowded this summer was (more so than in a long time) that this movie would have done much better but all the sci-fi movies and the beyond old hate people seem to have for Tom Cruise held it back. great movie.

I don't like Tom Cruise either, but I love just about all of his movies. Yes, even the one where he was running around in a loincloth chasing unicorns...

I enjoyed it. It was a nice tight, contained movie. I guessed most of the plot twist as I was watching, but it was still well done.

It looked really nice too.

Also, I don't mind Cruise. I could give two frakkz about his personal life, and I think he's a decent actor for what he does. Better than Keanu.

My only gripe was the casting of Morgan Freeman. I just couldn't see him in that role at all and it took me out of the film.

Edited by Gakken85

Saw it on the flight back from Singapore at around 2:00 AM. What I remember of it, I liked. Have to watch it again when I'm totally awake.

I don't like Tom Cruise either, but I love just about all of his movies. Yes, even the one where he was running around in a loincloth chasing unicorns...

Legend is a great movie. It has F**king Tim Curry as Satan, what more do you want?

• 1 month later...

Just saw this today and really enjoyed it. What really stood out to me was the music. Something about it. Not your typical soundtrack for recent sci fi.

Watched it again on Blu-ray last night with the wife. I think that the M83 soundtrack is one of the most underrated or least discussed parts of the film, which is a pity as the soundtrack was truly awesome. The studio/production team clearly recognised this by giving us a "music score only" audio track on the disc. Don't think I could watch the entire film like this, but for sequences like the intro it's really nice.

The last song played over the closing titles is really good too. Stops you from just turning it off when its over.

I love this film as well. It fits in well with the SF "classics" we have had so far this decade like Inception, Tron:Legacy, Looper, Elysium, etc........ These are all films that show up Star Wars to be the "kiddie" stuff that it is.

SF can be a beautiful dream, not just 'droids and aliens shooting each other....

The closing song, brilliant.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkUp1V3ys0

I love this film as well. It fits in well with the SF "classics" we have had so far this decade like Inception, Tron:Legacy, Looper, Elysium, etc........ These are all films that show up Star Wars to be the "kiddie" stuff that it is.

HAHAHAHAHA

Well, I've left out three or four films here due to questionable genre or overall quality. The best of the best, as I see it (dating back to 2003):

Primer

Children of Men

District 9

Moon

Inception

Melancholia

I have no problems with your list, but I was referring more to 2010 onwards, otherwise I would have mentioned some of the films you did. I have no problems with the three films of mine that you left out anyway. No question to me (and plenty of others), they are good films as well...

I have no problems with your list, but I was referring more to 2010 onwards, otherwise I would have mentioned some of the films you did. I have no problems with the three films of mine that you left out anyway. No question to me (and plenty of others), they are good films as well...

Ahhh, "this decade," and not "the past decade." That's my bad. Well, my list is much shorter, then. lol

I watched Tron: Legacy again recently because the son of my GF wanted to see it and i still can't get over how insultingly bad it was.

Finally saw this through Netflix. Entertaining movie that looks really good, with an unfortunately horrid story. Nevermind it's literally built out of scenes taken from a dozen movies we've all already seen, they telegraphed almost the entire plot in the trailers. And even if you didn't pick it up then, you would have figured it out in the first minute or two. I won't even bother to address the plot holes (probably the worst offender I've seen this year).

Worth watching for the design elements. Reportedly they used a lot of physical sets for this movie, which shows (in a good way).

Finally saw this through Netflix. Entertaining movie that looks really good, with an unfortunately horrid story. Nevermind it's literally built out of scenes taken from a dozen movies we've all already seen, they telegraphed almost the entire plot in the trailers. And even if you didn't pick it up then, you would have figured it out in the first minute or two. I won't even bother to address the plot holes (probably the worst offender I've seen this year).

Worth watching for the design elements. Reportedly they used a lot of physical sets for this movie, which shows (in a good way).

Yeah, the telegraphing of the plot in the trailers was a problem, I will certainly agree with that. Not a good idea. Agree on design, of course. Outstanding work. SF films/ literature being derivative doesn't bother me since most ideas are just stolen from Wells, Verne, Mary Shelley and a few of the other big SF pioneers. My main problem, rather than the plot and/or plot holes (which I will admit are there, but didn't bother me) is just some of the hokey dialogue and that comes down to scriptwriting rather than actual plot problems.

Still think that it's an excellent film overall, so our opinions differ there.