My Oldest Macross kit

B-52 GUNNER

I still have most of my old Imai and Arii Macross kits from back in the '80s though many are in rather poor shape today, most of the white has long since gone yellow, more delicate parts have been broken and some of them have a serious coat of dust. I wish I could replace them or find time to strip, rebuild and repaint them. They were the kits that first introduced me to the twin delights of anime and Japanese model kits and set me on the path to complete otakunisation.

Edited by Mechmaster

• 2 weeks later...

Heheh.. the oldest (and until a few months ago the ONLY) Macross (sort of) kit I have is an old Testors kit of the VF-1J in 1/200 scale! The thing is tiny... barely two inches long, and screwed/glued together.. the head probes, missiles, landing gear, etc. are long gone, but it's still in pretty good shape.. needs to be repainted though, I tried to chrome certain parts of it when I first discovered model paint at about age 9. :p I think I got it some time around 1987 or so.. maybe '88, I was too young to remember. I only bought it cause I thought it looked cool, and, not having seen anything even remotely related to Macross or even Robotech, I had no idea what it actually was. I just assumed it was some kind of strange looking Tomcat (yes, at age 3, I was obsessed with airplanes, and could name who knows how many :p).

It was years before I happened to buy a Joke Machine VF-1J at a toy store, and noticed the resemblance between the two.