Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space

For those intersted, Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space for the PS2 was released in the US late this past week. Got mine from Gamestop on Friday.

So far my opinion of this game is that it is much better then Journey to Jaburo. I played it for 3 hours straight after I got home with it. My only gripe so far is the lack of ground based combat, but the whole purpose of this game is to relive the space battles of 0079 and 0083.

Just one spoiler, when you (as Amuro) are outside of A Baoa Qu, make sure to watch the display screen on the top for the transmissions by Federation and Zeon pilots - you will see South Burning and Monsha (from 0083) having a conversation.... of course Monsha thinks he should be piloting the Gundam! :lol:

This Gundam game looks cool, i'm looking forward to playing it B))

Is there gonna be Seed and Nu Gundams in the game?

I've had the Japanese version since the day it was released, and I highly stress just RENTING the game. I got two weeks of fun out of the game, and that's including two player and online play. It took me a few days to master the controls and figure out the scoring system, and with that all Ss came easily. Two palyer and online mode get old fast. Especially online mode, which shouldn't even be called that. it should be called "Download 2 player mode," because all you do is download other people's pilots and the computer controls them -_-; Anyways, this game suffers from severe lack of replayability. The DVD, too, was a huge let down. Though for those two weeks, it was the coolest game ever. The graphics were stunning, side stories great, voice acting and animation decent (they changed some original character voices, like Dozul.), and was defiently one of the better Gundam games.

I've had the Japanese version since the day it was released, and I highly stress just RENTING the game. I got two weeks of fun out of the game, and that's including two player and online play. It took me a few days to master the controls and figure out the scoring system, and with that all Ss came easily. Two palyer and online mode get old fast. Especially online mode, which shouldn't even be called that. it should be called "Download 2 player mode," because all you do is download other people's pilots and the computer controls them -_-; Anyways, this game suffers from severe lack of replayability. The DVD, too, was a huge let down. Though for those two weeks, it was the coolest game ever. The graphics were stunning, side stories great, voice acting and animation decent (they changed some original character voices, like Dozul.), and was defiently one of the better Gundam games.

Considering i played every other non-SD Gundam game for about 3 days before getting sick and tired of them..... Encounters in Space sounds just fine. :)

Despite the bad press this game has gotten, I'm probably going to get it. The selection of MSs available is nothing to sneeze at. Too bad it's a rail shooter, but as long as it's fun and the graphics are good I'm sure it won't be bad.

I liked FvZ. Don't have any others than that. Too bad the SD Gundams aren't us releases :(

Vostok 7

Well I got the game same day, Friday, only one in the store who ordered it -_- heh.

My take on it, is so so. I mean if you play Whitebase storyline on Movie Version, you can complete the game in 2-3 hours tops it's very short. But than theres the TV version which I'm seldomly am working on while playing the other storymodes.

I've completed the Thourghbred storyline and was kind of disappointed by that but not much. The Ace Pilot games go from 0079-0083 Star Dust memory. Right now I'm concluding the Char Aznable version, working on Anavel Gato's next, just a few short missions left on that one. I WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTED by the Yuu Kajima story, it's only two missions with no storyline at all...nothing...I think I need a Saturn...

Kou Uraki's was the longest so far and I liked it.

I've also done the "Mission" mode where I customize my own pilot and it sucks...I don't even wanna talk about it.

There isn't too much gameplay in the 0079 battles, it's taken up by alot of FMV's...and at times it makes less sense than it really does...so your better off buying the dvd's or 3 trilogy movie set trust me...

It's a decent game for the Gundam line and I'm keeping it since I have all 4 so far. What gets to me is the fact they have MORE MS's and MA's than Feddie Vrs Zeon which got me so mad.

Also there are ZERO ground battles it's all Zero G. Sometimes you can land on objects for a brief moment but that's about it.

Hikuro, theres not really much story to Blue Destiny to begin with. Because it actually starts on Earth... it would be hard to have the entire story in Encounters in Space.

With that said.... if really need to know the story... I would actually look for SD Gundam G Generation F for the PSX. It has the story of Blue Destiny... and it might be much easier to find then the actual Blue Destiny game for the Sega Saturn. As a plus.... you get a fantastic game too. SD Gundam G Generation F is the best Gundam game released so far. :)

I seeeeeeee......I was actually tempted on Friday to buy a Dreamcast for 30 bucks, and get Rise of the Ashes. That was the first Gundam game I ever played and I liked it's sense of realism by having the gameplay involve nothing but being in the cockpit of a GM. I wish they would have a game where it would be both 3rd person and first person/cockpit perspective, those were always fun...

I seeeeeeee......I was actually tempted on Friday to buy a Dreamcast for 30 bucks, and get Rise of the Ashes. That was the first Gundam game I ever played and I liked it's sense of realism by having the gameplay involve nothing but being in the cockpit of a GM. I wish they would have a game where it would be both 3rd person and first person/cockpit perspective, those were always fun...

Rise from the Ashes was an alright game. I just wished they had the beam rifle right. I don't remember Amuro having to shoot a Zaku 5 times before it blew up. <_<

If you've played Journey to Jaburo or Federation vs. Zeon, it's that kind of action shooter. :)

Now you see, the problem there is that you've compared EiS to two games: one that sucked, and one that I enjoyed.

I held off on buying this game mainly because of Gundam's track record on PS2 in America. Two games of crap, and one enjoyable game. And since the one enjoyable game was actually developed by Capcom, I decided to be a little leary of EiS, until I've had a chance to rent it first.

Now if AEUG vs. Titans can get a US release, it'd be a different story...

The Side Story with the Thoroughbred has four different endings. Two good, two bad. At the level where Bruce uses that big beam rifle, if you protect him wll enough and he doesn't take alot of damge, he lives, and the Thoroughbred goes to A Baoa Qu, which is a bitch because you ahve to protect your ship, and the enemies strategy is to come at you from three sides, and are so far away that if you just stay around the Thoroughbred, you won't pick them up :(

Despite the bad press this game has gotten, I'm probably going to get it. The selection of MSs available is nothing to sneeze at. Too bad it's a rail shooter, but as long as it's fun and the graphics are good I'm sure it won't be bad.

I liked FvZ. Don't have any others than that. Too bad the SD Gundams aren't us releases :(

Vostok 7

Most of the action isn't "on the rails". For those who didn't like JTJ's sluggish controls, EIS is much more responsive.

EIS isn't the greatest game around, but I think there is enough meat to it and it has been enjoyable enough to me where I would recommend for Gundam fans to check it out. If in doubt, rent! :)

Ugh I knew there had to be atleast a few more endings to the Thuroghbred story >

I'm working on the TV edition of Whitebase and I like that one better than the Movie Edition...so I got no big complaints of the game other than sometimes you really need to replay a level a few times to finally get it right...not too mention it's sorta hard piloting the Zeong and fighting Amuro in his Gundam...ugh.

I find it interesting they got rid of the online feature for the video game considering there is a some number of people who own online adaptors for their ps2 (including myself who rarely even uses it...waste of 40 bucks). I would probably enjoy the game more if it carried the online feature.

What kind of game is this?  Ist person shooter?  Thrid person adventure?  strategy?

Ever played ZOE? its like that. :)

I have played none of these games...

they are fun, but can get repetative. give ZOE2 a rent.

Especially because ZOE 2 is ridicously short. My first time through, I beat it in around 2 and a half hours. I replayed it once, and beat it without even stopping to save it.

I think I might just rent EiS. I have to save my money for Fatal Frame II, Deus Ex, and Sonic Heroes.

What kind of game is this?  Ist person shooter?  Thrid person adventure?  strategy?

Ever played ZOE? its like that. :)

I have played none of these games...

they are fun, but can get repetative. give ZOE2 a rent.

Especially because ZOE 2 is ridicously short. My first time through, I beat it in around 2 and a half hours. I replayed it once, and beat it without even stopping to save it.

I think I might just rent EiS. I have to save my money for Fatal Frame II, Deus Ex, and Sonic Heroes.

Fatal Frame II? And I seriously hope you mean the Xbox version of Deus EX because the PC version is an unoptimized mess. <_<

I just bought Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon, haven't played it yet. I would have waited til EiS comes out in England (yeah... sometime in the distant future), but from what I've heard it isn't a vast improvement over FvZ.

(can people stop overusing the quote function so it doesn't look like mess? just quote the relevant post, we can read the other stuff in the thread...)

You won't be able to use the online features with just the online adapter. You need the whole harddrive. It saves the new MS and weapons to the harddrive and accesses them from there.

Also, a huge tip for those playing two player mode. You and your opponent start the match by facing each other. GO STRAIGHT AT EACH OTHER!!! Me and my friend once spent a whole fifteen minute match just trying to find each other when we went seperate ways. There's nothing in the levels to distinguish where you are, so it is next to impossible to find each other.

I destroyed the Japanese version of the game, so if you have any questions about the game, just ask :)

Despite the bad press this game has gotten, I'm probably going to get it.

I don't know what you mean by bad press..... PSM is hardly a repectable source and the obviously did not give the game more then 10 minutes of play time. IGN gave the game a solid 8 out 10 and I remember Famitsu rated the game fairly well when it came out in japan.

EGM gave it a horrible review, too, (or was it OPM? I know it was one of the ones I subscribe to...) I think it got a 2, and that was only because the guy was a gundam freak. I'll still get it, though, because of the favorable info I've heard from you guys and other boards and online sources.

Honestly... rent it first. Hardly any review source can be considered good now a days. <_<

I don't know what you mean by bad press..... PSM is hardly a repectable source and the obviously did not give the game more then 10 minutes of play time. IGN gave the game a solid 8 out 10 and I remember Famitsu rated the game fairly well when it came out in japan.

Yeah... That's why I said I'm getting it anyway, since I've only read PSM and they didn't even give it a chance.

Vostok 7