For those anticipating the overpriced M+ box set..

Keith

Looks like Manga has put it on "indefinate hold" according to AoDVD. Sad thing is, they also put the individual volumes OOP.

Maybe they realized what an obscene price they put on it? Perhaps they decided to remaster the movie edition.............heh.

They also apparently did the same with the eva movie's set, which I don't mind as I grabbed them from rightstuf on their last big manga sale.

A this point, I never expect Manga to release anything on time. Ever. And even then they continue to delay and delay for phantom reasons.

And then they still manage to screw up the discs.

I have become very wary of Manga. At least they did all right with Read Or Die. Supposedly Orguss 02 came out ok, but I haven't tried it for myself yet.

None of their antics surprize me any more.

Wonder if this has something to do with Palm Films selling Manga Ent. a few months back.

They used that excuse already the last time they delayed the latest round of stuff, I think.

I do not know what to make of the fact that an "indefinite hold" has been placed on the Macross Plus box set seeing as how I found one in a UK video store when I was in London this summer.

Maybe we are talking about completely different things but there was a Manga labeled box set which contained both Macross Plus OVA disc as well as the subtitled Macross Plus movie.

This is unclear. So far Manga video is trying to put the GinRei specials on the DVD box set they have plan to release sometime in the near future (cross your fingers folks). As they are trying to get the rights for these specials, it has delayed the DVDs release. There is even a chance that they won't be releasing them at all with Manga's current financial situation. But I'm sure that once they go under and are forced to sell the rights to another company, that said company will be able to give us the DVDs sooner. Sorry but at this point I've got no love for Manga.

From a Giant Robo fan site about the Giant Robo DVDs, but I think it relates to this topic, too. I didn't realize Manga was having any sort of financial trouble (but I also haven't been paying attention to them very much, aside from their Macross and Giant Robo licenses), but if this is the case, it would explain all these 'indefinite holds'.

I do not know what to make of the fact that an "indefinite hold" has been placed on the Macross Plus box set seeing as how I found one in a UK video store when I was in London this summer.

Maybe we are talking about completely different things but there was a Manga labeled box set which contained both Macross Plus OVA disc as well as the subtitled Macross Plus movie.

Yeah, that set has been out for ages now. All the OVAs and the movie (in its crappy hard-subbed, VHS-transfer incarnation) together for the price of one DVD. If Manga over in the US wants to release an improved movie edition, then I'd understand, but the delay makes no sense if they're just gonna bring out the same crap again. Unless the evil HG is involved... <_<

Manga has officially announced that they no longer own the license to Giant Robo. Yes, there is no more Giant Robo.

Head on over to www.dvdasian.com. There's a fantastic DVD set with english subtitles, all the Giant Robo (well, except for the Gin-Rei OVA's) you will ever need.

And while yes, there was a Plus set put out in the UK what, 2 years ago? They recently announced one for the U.S., only with Macross II in place of the MPlus movie edition. All at a whopping $80-$90.

Thankfully, I already have a copy of each volume of said OAV.

Same here. B))

Both OAV's? CHECK.

Theatical Movie? CHECK.

It's too bad Mangle Video half assed their Movie Version DVD. It looks like they're trying to win some fans back.

Thankfully, I already have a copy of each volume of said OAV.

Same here. B))

Both OAV's? CHECK.

Theatical Movie? CHECK.

It's too bad Mangle Video half assed their Movie Version DVD. It looks like they're trying to win some fans back.

Hey, I'd love to have the Manga movie DVD release.

It beats the VHS tape I have now. The one UPS apparently set on top of a magnetic surface.

But I can't justify buying the DVD of a show I already have. Especailly not when it's a BAD DVD.

And while yes, there was a Plus set put out in the UK what, 2 years ago? They recently announced one for the U.S., only with Macross II in place of the MPlus movie edition. All at a whopping $80-$90.

Psst...to anyone who has a multiregion player, the UK OVA+movie set appears on eBay with some frequency, and was even available shipped directly from Manga UK last I checked. (I emailed them to ask if they will ship internationally.) Even with shipping, the price isn't bad--I got it for about $31 shipped on eBay.

Psst...to anyone who has a multiregion player, the UK OVA+movie set appears on eBay with some frequency, and was even available shipped directly from Manga UK last I checked. (I emailed them to ask if they will ship internationally.) Even with shipping, the price isn't bad--I got it for about $31 shipped on eBay.

Ah, but is it PAL, or NTSC.

Okay, I just double-checked. I have a Raite 715. In the setup menu of the player (not the disc), I can choose NTSC or PAL output. If I choose PAL, the screen is no longer visible, since my TV is NTSC-only, and I have to blindly locate NTSC again. Needless to say, I don't play around with that control much.

As for the M+ UK DVD's, they play just fine. I leave the player set on regionless (Region 0) and it's never caused a problem with any DVD's, even though I've read that a few do somehow check that the region is the same as opposed to regionless. So they work under R0. They don't work when I set the player to R1. Checking R2...works.

This all makes sense since DVD is a digital medium; the player must do a digital-to-analog conversion when outputting to the TV. The only possible issue is that the screen looks slightly compressed vertically. Not sure about this, but if it does indeed turn out to be the case, I can just adjust the TV. (Even though many modern TV's lack an easily-accessible vertical adjustment, there are ways of getting into the service menus. A lot of info is at http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/toc.html in the Home Theater section, regarding calibrating TV's and the "anamorphic vertical squeeze" trick.)

Edit: in case the link stops working, the guy who maintains the info is Anthony W. Haukap, and his main web page is at http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/index.html

Edited by ewilen