Microsoft Flight

shiroikaze

Nice to see the series picking up again, there really hasn't been anything new since FSX: Acceleration came out. I hope they've developed the system mechanics further though... see, the one thing MSFS has always lacked is any sense of contact between solid objects.

When you go and define an aircraft, you have to define "contact points" which are the major points where the plane might come into contact with anything (wingtips, nose, ventral fins, tails, landing gear, etc). These points are stationary, which really fails miserably for any aircraft with a major moving part (such as a swing wing).

With FSX, they started to seem to be allowing you to attach effects and certain contact points to aircraft from within the model itself, allowing you to make them move... if they continue with this, there'll be nothing stopping me from making a full fledged 3-mode Valk :D. Walking might not be likely.. but I can at least build a gerwalk mode, since I spent a long time working with VSTOL systems for the sims. They basically use a sim bypass, and allow you to manually insert your own flight model. It's how a good number of VSTOL aircraft have been built in the past.

Programming those is a pain though, since it's a crazy mish-mash of XML coding embedded in the aircraft visual model, and patched into the language written into the various cockpit instruments.

Hmm, good news if true, but I too would rather see another CFS than another general aviation sim. Way, way back at the 8-bit dawn of personal computing, I would have been thrilled to have a realistic GA sim on my computer, but once sophisticated combat sims started coming out like European Air War or CFS II, I was just too LAZY to ever get into GA sims.

It was sad news when Microsoft stopped at FSX hope they continue to improve and haven't forgotten all they have learned.

The screen shots look nice, and I know it is a flight sim/game, but the Mightly Moe BB63 and pier are modeled incorrectly for present day.

The helo pad has been a giant ceremonial tent for years but since the pad is clear hope the computer allows the jet ranger to land there.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this is looking too arcade now.

i wish i had a dime every time i saw this phrase :3

especially since arcades are pretty dead now

it's not like we have many contemporary flight arcade games to compare this to

Most people aren't going to be wowed by a trailer of leisurely flying at a safe distance from buildings

you gotta punch it up