Iron Giant

KingNor

i saw a picture the other day of some kind of 20 inch iron giant that could do a bunch of stuff, i tried doing a search and only came up with amazon.com stuff trying to sell the movie, and the tiny plastic figure. anyone know what i'm looking for? does it have a specific name i could use to look it up?

thanks

I'm glad the Cartoon Network is going out of their way to get this movie the attention it deserves. They need to give Brad Bird more projects. There's one guy besides John Lasseter that knows what he's doing. I can't wait for The Incredibles to come out.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who liked this movie. It never got and publicity. Except for the one day marathon on CN which was overkill IMO.

Holy crap! I didn't realize that toy costed so much!

I'll check on it when I can. Hopefully they won't charge that much. Anyone know the original MSRP?

vinnie

Wow that thing is now worth $150 american?

Not to add insult to injury here but the local Warner Brother store at the Saint Louis Galleria had like ten of those things back in 2001 when it went under... I think they had them on the clearance shelf for like $20 or something.

Talk about your rediculous price markups.

Then again it is a defunct toy from a defunct toy line made by a defunct toy maker sold from a defunct store about a movie that has a very very small fanbase... and yet the BraveStarr toys still rot in their low price ranges?

Great movie.

The IG deserves an SOC style treatment. complete with an extra head so you can have him with or without the dent. All diecast. And parts to convert him to alien attack mode. about 25cm high. Yeah.... that would be cool.

edit: And a magnetic "S" sign you can stick on his chest so he can be superman. :)

Edited by Californium

oh man, I should've bought that toy when they first came out at toys r us. I saw a whole stack of them and was considering buying two cause it was going to be a hot item for christmas. I even remember cutting my finger on one of the edges of those boxes, man those were sharp! well it was more like a paper cut. Anyway, I loved the movie so much that I actually watched the marathon like four times. I still would like to see it again. Damn that movie is good! I should buy the dvd already. :p:D:lol:

oh man, I should've bought that toy when they first came out at toys r us. I saw a whole stack of them and was considering buying two cause it was going to be a hot item for christmas. I even remember cutting my finger on one of the edges of those boxes, man those were sharp! well it was more like a paper cut. Anyway, I loved the movie so much that I actually watched the marathon like four times. I still would like to see it again. Damn that movie is good! I should buy the dvd already. :p:D:lol:

Same here. I actually bought mine on clearance because the Iron Giant was promoted terribly by the movie studio and didn't make the Disney-type dollars that they wanted. Hence, the toys went on clearance and I bought mine on the cheap. I considered two, but only bought one. I think I paid $15.

I'd hold off on buying the DVD, though. They are set to release a special edition version DVD at some point this year. The movie was critically lauded and has grown to have a pretty huge following. Which explains the marathon, the resurged interest in the toys, etc.

I'd hate to waste money on a bare bones DVD when a movie this good totally deserves a Special Edition disc. Like the Lion King DVD I bought Saturday at Target for 11.88... how great is that?

cool, I feel yah dood! I'm wondering since they are showing the movie again, do you think they might make a part two? I feel that they should! The ending totally leaves it open for a sequel. I hope they do! :p:D:lol:

do you think they might make a part two? I hope they do!

Personally, i'd prefer if they didn't make a sequil.

After "Secret of Nimh 2: Timmy to the Rescue" i have totally and utterly given up on sequils for great films that happend to tank.

Giant is good, lets leave it that way :-)

awsome toy, totally out of my price range.

What is a "sequil"?

Do you mean sequel?

edit: sorry if I sound overly pedantic, I spent all last week grading papers, and all this week writing my own.

Lord knows I have my spelling problems...but that one in particular has been one of my pet-peeves ever since I've been on the net.

Edited by Phyrox

What is a "sequil"?

Do you mean sequel?

edit: sorry if I sound overly pedantic, I spent all last week grading papers, and all this week writing my own.

Lord knows I have my spelling problems...but that one in particular has been one of my pet-peeves ever since I've been on the net.

Heh, that's nothing! My personal pet peeve? Cannon instead of Canon. Ughhh... Why can't some people get it right even after correction?

vinnie

What is a "sequil"?

Do you mean sequel?

Heh, that's nothing! My personal pet peeve? Cannon instead of Canon. Ughhh... Why can't some people get it right even after correction?

vinnie

ugh.. I hate that too. One more reference to the "canon fodder" (which is actually kinda funny) might push me over the edge. It must be the English major in me.

Still, I try not to get too ticky considering how many MW members are non-native English speakers.

• 3 years later...

That's right, I just dug up a thread that was 4 years dead. *coughs from dust*

Around the time of this thread I set aside my desire for the Ultimate Iron Giant figure, hoping that after a couple years people's interest would wane and the price would slip under $100, effectively allowing the big guy to slip into my home. So I forgot about it for a few years. The other night I watched the DVD which, of course, inspired the old "like movie must have toy!" feelings. I fired up Ebay and see....

This

I mean, come on. This isn't even funny. I saw a different auction end for around $400.

So, now that this toy has joined up with the Unicorn and the Yeti and all of the other creatures I'll never see in person, I'm left to hope for some toy company to come along and make something new.

Who among you would buy a killer new Iron Giant toy? Imagine if Bandai released one in the SOC line, how could you resist? Or what if Aoshima made one similar to their Terminator Endoskeleton? Or Medicom? I'll take any of those, but dammit, I demand satisfaction! :wacko:

Edited by eriku

I can't see any links but the biggest one was the 20" ultimate talking Iron Giant, I think.

I kept passing it till it was too late. I often see them on ebay like $350-$400 BIN.

I do wish for a new Iron Giant toy... But, only way that's possible could be when someone makes a live-action movie which would certainly disappoint me.

I wonder what happened to the original molds though, as I've heared they stopped making toys before they find out that the movie is quite well received.

I didn't realize the link didn't work, but yeah, it was the 20" figure at a BIN of $388 or something like that.

AlphaOTS- that is the figure that came packed in with the VHS. I think it was later offered with the DVD special edition but I'm not 100% sure. I have it, and it's pretty good for such a small figure.

Trendmasters was bought by JAKKS Pacific in 2002. I emailed JAKKS and asked about the Iron Giant license and toys. They replied that did not retain the license and if I wanted an Iron Giant I should go to Ebay. Gee, thanks.

I found out some Japanese vinyl toys were made of this guy, I'd like to see those.

I'm still holding out hope that one of the smaller toy companies will pick up this license and make some new figures. I know they'd sell, at least far better than they did in 1999.

I honestly can't believe that thing is selling for so much now. When i worked at TRU back when this came out, we couldn't pay people to take these off the shelves. They ended up going on clearance for something ridiculous and only than did they get bought out. I really wish i'd have bought myself one now... or even a couple for that matter. I loved the movie, but i was really trying to cut down on my toy collecting at the time so this was an easy pass due to it's immense size. Now of course i regret it.