Oh,so much Subaru goodness!

Great videos, that rally girl was nice, yeah. the one with blue and black Subaru, wow. That thousand BHP subaru is so sexy too. 

Ha I do like Doug demuro and the Car_throttle guy too guy too. i mean i like their shows... I always wondered why the Maloo was never introduced here in america. If you noticed, i commented a few days ago on that video you posted.

Edited by vlenhoff

Yes absolutely! Seeing iti s my all time favorite car, the LM/GTR version specifically. I do remember when it first came out and it was mega money! 800,000 gbp if I remember correctly.. but like you said it was way way waaayyy ahead of its time! Maybe even too far ahead. I think those factors were a bit scary for some. 

The current gen Sti retained the unequal length headers. only the new WRX changed to equal length headers. So you're right, the Sti does have the rumble, but not the newer WRX. Depending on the exhaust it will calm or amplify the rumble of past wrx or current sti. The rumble is created by the unequal length headers. In my case, i changed the turbo back exhaust, so my car is pretty loud. i do like it pretty loud though, as i think it sounds glorious.

edit in: Here is a sound video of my WRX. I made it for a friend.

Edited by vlenhoff

Hey boys, I know that this thread mostly covers the latest, greatest, and most exotic machines on four wheels, but I was hoping to get your opinions on a dilemma I have with my own cars.  

I've been told that airbag systems, that normally NEVER get serviced during the lifetime of a vehicle, face increasing odds of not working or even malfunctioning as the years go on.  Also, I was in an accident a few months ago where the airbags seemed to do more damage to my passenger than they did in protecting her from harm, from what I could tell.  Putting this car back on the road was also more complicated with the blown airbags, as insurance immediately totaled it and then I had to replace the airbag system.  Therefore, I was thinking about pulling the fuses(s) and disabling the airbags in my vehicles, since I am starting to doubt their functionality as well as their ability to safeguard my passengers and I, anyway.  Lastly, I drive around in my '69 Charger that obviously has no airbags, and I figure if it's good enough for the Dodge it's good enough for all of the other vehicles. 

The cars in question are my '97 Camaro Z28, '98 Mustang GT, '99 Firebird T/A WS6 and an '01 Mustang GT.  What say you, MW gearheads?

18 hours ago, myk said:

Hey boys, I know that this thread mostly covers the latest, greatest, and most exotic machines on four wheels, but I was hoping to get your opinions on a dilemma I have with my own cars.  

I've been told that airbag systems, that normally NEVER get serviced during the lifetime of a vehicle, face increasing odds of not working or even malfunctioning as the years go on.  Also, I was in an accident a few months ago where the airbags seemed to do more damage to my passenger than they did in protecting her from harm, from what I could tell.  Putting this car back on the road was also more complicated with the blown airbags, as insurance immediately totaled it and then I had to replace the airbag system.  Therefore, I was thinking about pulling the fuses(s) and disabling the airbags in my vehicles, since I am starting to doubt their functionality as well as their ability to safeguard my passengers and I, anyway.  Lastly, I drive around in my '69 Charger that obviously has no airbags, and I figure if it's good enough for the Dodge it's good enough for all of the other vehicles. 

The cars in question are my '97 Camaro Z28, '98 Mustang GT, '99 Firebird T/A WS6 and an '01 Mustang GT.  What say you, MW gearheads?

this very topic has been hot for a number of years now, as older cars fitted with airbags hit about 10 to 15 years of age. Just because a manufacturer specifies the airbag unit doesn't require regular servicing doesn't make it exempt from deteriorating from age. Even airbags will have a limited life span. I replaced a worn rimmed steering wheel in an older car I had (1995 Holden Calais) and upon removal found the rear casing of the airbag unit had developed surface rust all over. The car was about 10 years old and that rust made me feel nervous ever since and eventually I replaced that steering wheel with a non airbag Momo wheel. Friends of ours woke early one morning to a decent bang sound and when they investigated the noise they found the passenger side airbag in their 1996 Holden Commodore had randomly deployed as it sat parked in their garage. Also shattered the windscreen in the process. This was when the car was also around 10 years old and hadn't ever been involved in an accident prior to that. This has also been known to happen to many other car owners throughout multiple makes and models. I have read an article about the effects of age on the detonator charge and it was not confidence inspiring. 

Airbag fitted cars from ranging from the late 80's to 90's I would find very difficult to trust those (now very old) airbag units and would be swiftly replacing them with new or non airbag wheels. My previous car, a 2004 HSV Clubsport was 12 years old when I sold it and I had even considered pulling the airbag fuse during the time I owned that car due to its age. Although when I replaced the worn steering wheel for a brand new wheel, the airbag unit looked pretty clean so I never removed the fuse. I now own a brand new car so the airbag is not a safety consideration at all!

Your 97 Camaro will be 20 years old this year and the others not far behind it, to me that is simply too old to depend on that airbag even functioning correctly in the event of an accident. Heck you never know it might just do the job it was intended to do perfectly but then it also might not work at all or malfunction. 

Like Spanner said, old airbags have been a hot topic for a few years now. The current thinking with auto manufacturers is that modern airbags will last the entire lifespan of the car without need of replacement though all modern cars have an airbag sensor in case something goes wrong. A common consensus I've seen is that people getting hurt by airbags is usually due to the person not being seated correctly or not wearing a seatbelt. Here's a pretty good article that covers the basics https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/do-car-airbags-expire.html 

I agree with Spanner too. Sorry for the late reply. If they represent danger, then it would be best to disconnect and/or remove them.

Edited for atrocious typo. I am sorry Spanner.

Edited by vlenhoff

2 minutes ago, spanner said:

@vlenhoff who's Spammer!? LOL! :p:lol:

@Ignacio Ocamica nice truck! I've always liked the Amarok's! :good:8)

We're having a great time with the wife and kids going to far away beaches, we throw the surfboards and everything needed in the back, so I guess the truck serves it's purpose.;)

It handles very well in the sand and like a car in the city! I'm really satiesfied with it. I opted for the manual BiTurbocharged direct injection diesel engine.