I've noticed people criticize white cars but I really like the color! I wouldn't have got my SS in any other color to be honest.

Yeah the beast is going great! Nearly 5000kms now.. took it in to work over the weekend and gave it a good detailing. She was sparkling and then I got caught in a surprise rain shower two days after! sigh.. :rolleyes:

20170128_093007.jpg

Edited by spanner

That's one sexy beast Spanner. I agree derex3592, I love mine in white as well, it shows the car details! Plus, if you have have noticed, it hides dirt. I never realized this, until I got my first white car. On the other end, black, and navy blue show a lot of dirt immediately. No, i am not putting down darker colors, they are very sexy and elegant, specially when they are clean.

Lol, i know the feeling Spanner. you detail and wax your car, and then, it rains... That moment when you cringe going over puddles :mellow:

Come on ladies and gents, we want to see your car pictures! Well, i do... 

Thanks vlenhoff! this is my 4th white car that I've owned, though one car was a two tone white metallic grey combination but yes it hides the dirt well especially from a distance but up close you do see how dirty the car really is! And yes it also shows more of the cars details & curves than the darker colors. The other color options I considered were black and the blue but I liked how the white looked with the blacked out roof and black wheels. Looked a lot tougher than the other colors and the contrast worked better. 

It sure is a pain to clean the car only the the weather to do a 180 flip on you and make it a mess again.. I did get some good polish stuff that you apply after cleaning which helps repel the dirt so it is easily washed off with water. I will definitely be trying it out next time.

:)

Very nice spanner. mine is SWP [satin white pearl]. It is a three stage paint process, and i think it looks amazing. Wow 4 white cars, this is only my second white car[. My first subaru was WRB [world racing blue], but honestly i love it in white even more. Here is a wall paper i made for my phone. There is this parking lot at work, which makes it look really cool imho. Naturally i photoshoped it to make it look like a spot light... ish. This is my current phone wallpaper.

wrxS5a.jpg

Sadly you can't see the dual exhaust from the pics above...vortex gen 1.jpg

man, Spanner, i want to drive your car. I love the glossy black roof, hood vents , and wheels. IMO glossy black is so sexy. One day, i'll powdercoat my wheels glossy black, or glossy gunmetal. I was impressed with the way the 2008 or 2009 G8 GXP drove. I handled very well, and it was very composed, very tactile for a bigger car. The power was so amazing from down low in the RPM range. Unlike turbos, you don't have to drive it by RPM. Sadly my friend who owned it lost in the flooding here in Houston. i do have to say... i warned him, i called him, i told him to just park it and stay out of trouble... but he decided to go out and drive it anyway. He is a very young impetuous guy... and he lost his car. G8 GXP are manual and they are really hard to find. As we all know the G8 gxp is the equivalent of the Holden commodore. Maybe with slightly different suspension tuning.  He was my roommate at one point, and i knew the way home was way dangerous from previous flooding. I parked at a random parking lot, and slept in my car. I did not want to risk my baby. His GXP was white too, and it was a very very nice ride. :(

20150607_171431.jpg

A close up of my SPT [subaru performance team] exhaust.

I am such a car nerd...

Edited by vlenhoff

Your Subaru looks lovely in white! Its such an elegant color and really brings out the lines of most cars! Yes there are many other nice colors but they often don't suit all cars but white is one that most often does! Its a real shout out and hey look at me color! I've had quite a few guys approach me about my car and compliment it. There aren't many white Commodore SS driving around where I live. There is only one and its a series 1 model that I do see fairly regularly but that's it. All the others are diffent colors. Though the series 1 aren't as nice as they updated the look of the car for the series 2. 

The BMW 3 series touring I was considering was white too and I had asked about having the roof blacked out though the wheels and other trim pieces were not.

Love the photos you took! And those exhaust tips look great! I would like to get a better set of exhaust tips for my SS but Holden deleted the option.. the standard ones aren't bad but they are a bit plain..

Shame that guy lost his G8 to the flooding.. a very silly thing to allow to happen if he could've avoided it. And especially considering it was the GXP model which are even better! Almost like a HSV equivalent. Those earlier Pontiac G8 were built from the VE Commodore range and yes the G8's had a better suspension tune to the Commodore SS they were based from. And I much preferred the styling of the Pontiac over the Commodore which looked far to conservative. The VE model line up just didn't have any flair or excitememt to it and although they quite decent cars, Holden seriously upgraded the Commodore for the VF model range and boy was it a huge improvement! The VF goes, stops, corners and looks so much better and they even introduced lightweight aluminum panels and other weight reduction measures which dropped about 100kgs from the previous model. The thing that sucked was the local VF Commodore model were stuck with the 6.0 liter engine where the Chev SS got the 6.2 LS3 from the get go. And the LS3 is miles batter than the old 6L.. That was the main factor why I waited and chose to buy the series 2 which Holden upgraded again with even more improvements and dropped in the LS3! Its a great engine and has loads of power and torque! Yes you should go take one for a test drive and see the difference from the old G8 to the current SS! hey you might even be tempted in trading up for a SS! LOL! 

Edited by spanner

Oh man thanks for the compliment, i really like my little SWP REX. That's nice Spanner, it feels unique when not everyone is driving the same car around you. It does feel special :p BUT! when you see another one wrx/commodore/g8 is very exciting. Specially when they throw you the deuce or the thumbs up! I don't know if it is the same with Commodores, but Subaru people like to say hello when they see another subbie. I even give thumps up when i rarely see the g8 gxp. I've driven it... i know it is a true driver's car. Some people wave back, some people look at me like i am the swamp thing, lol. 

Yep the series 2 bmw is way better looking. The series one looked a big saggy, with that said, much respect for the series 1M. I love the series 1M with a passion, but i haven't driven one yet :( A friend just bought an M4 :wub: I already told him i will be test driving that bissh. The M4 comes with a carbon roof it seems, form the pics he Showed me. Yup the 3 series you were considering with a black roof, it pretty much sex. 

Thanks man, i love taking pictures. i wish my exhaust tips were a little longer [what he said] It is good though, when you look at it from the back i imagine it is like two guns pointing back and sideways. like barrel machine guns sideways... yes i am car nerd....

Oh man every time you say VF i think VF-1S :rolleyes:. i wish could drive one of those VF models. Btw, my turbo charger model is a VF-52.... i imagine like my car is a VF-A1 Ichijo[you can see the single laser pointing back [the radio antenna of my car] Red tail lights, white body and black accents, that's totally hikaru colors :p. It even has a macross kite sticker in it for the last 6 or 7 years. The same kite sticker my previous subaru had. I can never see the sticker from my driving position, so it doesn't block visibility. In the pictures below. The vortex generator on the roof was not installed, when i took this pics. Also, the vortex gen is an SPT part, and yes i installed it myself.

^ ^  I think this last paragraph marks the corniest, nerdiest thing i have ever written anywhere ever. ^ ^

anyway... some say his heart is a 6.2 LS3 engine, all we know is... his name is the SStig... [rip TG, viva le GT]

"That was the main factor why I waited and chose to buy the series2" That was super clever. You got the good one, now you just enjoy it! I was an idiot, sort of, when i got my first WRX it was a 2008 WRB [world racing blue] with a smaller turbo, and no aero kit, no racing pedals etc, but i installed an SPT lip on it, RP-f1 enkei wheels, a charge speed grille and power/handling upgrades. Then i upgraded to the 2010, which had a bigger turbo all aero kit, better power steering pump, racing pedals, nicer seats, and interior accents, etc. The dealership transferred all my upgrade parts including SPT exhaust, Perrin downpipe, cobb access port[i did that for them at the dealership], sway bars, short shifter, wheels, fog lamps/relay[i did these too], all to the new WRX at no cost... so i went for it. later on i ruined the RP- F1 wheels due to wrong lug nuts... oh well.

mycar02.jpg

2009-08-18194402-1.jpg

Uff, the camaro SS is pretty sweet, don't just don't give me ideas Spanner :ph34r:[not like i can afford anything]. Hey man 4 doors rock, do remember that. Your car is like a Swiss army knife with an LS3 engine in it.

20140423_165548.jpg

macrosskite.jpg

20160723_164613.jpg

Also... all my wheels over the years... in descending order...

IMG_20110327_044844-1.jpg

mycar03nasioc.jpg

newfront.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff

I really like that blue but your white car does look the bomb! Before I bought the SS I did even have a look at the Subaru Levorg which was a great car and I did like it a lot but the only thing that turned me off was no manual transmission option which is a great shame as it has near WRX levels of performance! A friend of mine has a BMW 135i with the turbo six cylinder engine and some M sport bits n pieces and that this is a right gem! The only thing im not so keen about it is its an automatic.. but its her daily driver and she is often stuck in peak hour traffic so an auto is easier for her. But even so its still a rocket crap! I'd even say its almost as quick as my SS! oh and the SS I was referring to was a 4 door! as in the 2013+ Chevy SS sedan! Basically my Commodore but stateside!

Regarding my SS.. I will be looking in to doing some simply modifications possibly later this year including a full exhaust system to free the engine up a bit and make some better noise. And also a set of better wider wheel and tires. I would like to retain the 19inch wheel size but go for something much lighter weight. I think going bigger to 20 or 21 is completely unnecessary and I don't like how the bigger rims make the the brakes looks smaller.. I don't want to go too crazy with the car in terms of mods as I would like to keep it close to stock as im not big on doing mods anyways.. But the exhaust I think is a must do. The rest of the car looks fine I think. I optioned it with the Walkinshaw 30mm (1 & 1/4 inch) lowered springs which definitely gives it a much better stance as they sit way too high stock. I didn't mind doing that as its a factory option and not aftermarket and they also replace some key suspension bushings in the process as part of the suspension re-tune. Though I think the shocks could be a bit better.

Dude, you car looks amazing, and it it likely won't understeer if you are an animal with the throttle in the wrong conditions. You would likely spin off though xD Yeah i liked the Levorg too, but I had no idea manual was not an option. That's a lost opportunity, but apparently the take rate of the automatics these days is like 85% or something. Across the board. I personally loved it when the wrx was only sold in manual, but i do understand, people like your girl friend should have fun too. or people with knee problems or disabilities. I have never owned an automatic car myself. I think i would probably die of boredom if i do :o

I'd say don't mod the car if it is near perfect as it is. I am proud to say my modifications to the suspension where later implemented by subaru in later wrx models. This confirms I did the right thing with mine. Wheels... wheels should be light. My stock wheels were 23 lb, the enkeis 15 lb, and my current ones 17.8 lb. When i had my enkeis on, it felt like my car would just rocket forward, but they do tend to look too small, as you can see in the pictures i posted. My stock wheels made the car feel more solid, but also felt like it was wearing boots. My current ones were cheap due to setbacks at the time i had to change them. They are the perfect balance between cost, lightness, and looks imho. i run 17's and i've thought about getting 18 in, but they MUST be light or it is not happening. I agree, 20 in+ wheels do make calipers look tiny depending on the car. Plus it is very hard to find light wheels when it comes to 19 in and larger. Not to mention running costs like tires. I do think the exhaust is a must, but if your car sounds good already, why bother. Sounds like you made the right suspension option but yeah shocks do matter. I might go for shocks upgrade when the times come to change mine.

Enjoy the ride Spanner, you have a very special one.

You all have nice cars. I'll be looking to trade in my Mazda 3 towards the end of the year and will be hunting around for a WRX (2013-2014). I'm also giving consideration to the Ford Focus ST and the Evo IX, if I can find a clean one (easier said than done these days).

On 2/14/2017 at 9:04 AM, Shadow said:

You all have nice cars. I'll be looking to trade in my Mazda 3 towards the end of the year and will be hunting around for a WRX (2013-2014). I'm also giving consideration to the Ford Focus ST and the Evo IX, if I can find a clean one (easier said than done these days).

One of my first rides was a mazda 323, from 1989. They were boxy and ugly, unlike the newer Mazda 3. Take your time and choose well. The mazda 3 is a capable car and it gets the job done. I see you're in the AWD market, they are great all weather machines, but they can be a little too serious sometimes. So serious, i never ever use my traction control, ever. They are fast machines, and you will rarely put that tail out, unless you really poke at it. There are RWD offerings you might want to consider as well. RWD can be a little more fun as well as a little more scary if you get careless, or if you really don't know the car or what you're doing. After nearly a decade of driving awd cars, i do want a RWD to play around. Yes i am hunting for a used miata, lol. Something cheap, simple and small. Something i can practice and learn my mechanic skills and not worry about ruining it. No i am not giving up my WRX by any means, but i do want a secondary ride.

I am not fomenting or glorifying reckless driving here. Please be safe out there with your fellow motorists. 

Edited by vlenhoff

7 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

One of my first rides was a mazda 323, from 1989. They were boxy and ugly, unlike the newer Mazda 3. Take your time and choose well. The mazda 3 is a capable car and it gets the job done. I see you're in the AWD market, they are great all weather machines, but they can be a little too serious sometimes. So serious, i never ever use my traction control, ever. They are fast machines, and you will rarely put that tail out, unless you really poke at it. There are RWD offerings you might want to consider as well. RWD can be a little more fun as well as a little more scary if you get careless, or if you really don't know the car or what you're doing. After nearly a decade of driving awd cars, i do want a RWD to play around. Yes i am hunting for a used miata, lol. Something cheap, simple and small. Something i can practice and learn my mechanic skills and not worry about ruining it. No i am not giving up my WRX by any means, but i do want a secondary ride.

I am not fomenting or glorifying reckless driving here. Please be safe out there with your fellow motorists. 

Thanks.

The glaring concern I have with my Mz3 is the rust forming on the rear wheel wells. It's a 2008 with 102k on it.  I know the 1st gen 3s have rust issues, especially the 2004-2006 model years. That gets multiplied up here in the Northeast when you factor in road salt during the winter.  It's an enjoyable commuter and not feeling connected to the road is ever a problem in these cars, or most Mazda's from my understanding.

The Mazda Miata and Honda S2000 have been on my radar as well. The Honda S2k, I'm more wary of as a daily with the kind of weather we get but I admit, it's a very appealing car. I guess after only experiencing naturally aspirated FWD cars, I've gotten the itch to move into forced induction territory.