HG and Robotech Debates

Tim Eldred did some comics right? I seem to recall he was the only one who could really draw the robots. But all the characters were done in a more realistic and western style so they were unrecognizable.

But yeah any of the modern promo stuff never seems to mix eras that often and almost always looks like amateur fanart.

Tim Eldred did some comics right? I seem to recall he was the only one who could really draw the robots. But all the characters were done in a more realistic and western style so they were unrecognizable.

But yeah any of the modern promo stuff never seems to mix eras that often and almost always looks like amateur fanart.

Tim Eldred's cool...but I always think of him as a "Star Blazers" guy rather than a "Robotech" guy...

EDIT: Oh crap...Yui's about to post...expect nonsense.

Edited by Gubaba

I always think of him as Mr. Votoms since it was basically his force of will that made CPM license the series for America. He is the alpha and omega of western Votoms fans.

That's definitely another feather in his cap.

And, uh...Yui is still composing... I'm getting scared.

Translate the last sentense of the Instructions.

......at last, From this August (A.D.1984), We create Southern Cross cyclons!

・・・この8月から、サザンクロス旋風を巻き起こします。

MAHG / Multi‐purpose Advanced Hovercraft self-propelled Gun

MAAH / Multi‐purpose Advanced Attack Helicopter

fcaddb6e6cba4912.jpg

df669ad6420b0fb2.jpg

Yasuhiro Nitta Twieer Photo

http://www.zormaster.com/ has NO-Collection to that Leaflet!

Orijinal PNG file (1.99MB)

post-1627-0-34597200-1317310822_thumb.png

Edited by yui1107

Yeah not to belittle people's fanart from over 25 years ago but I'm not seeing anything outstanding or even near Tenjin's level.

Most of the good art is just the Mikimoto pictures and existing artwork from the source material.

post-1819-0-56413800-1317314037_thumb.jpg

So anyone want to explain why the first picture is clearly DYRL fanart?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyway, I think you make a good point: every Macross sequel is designed to give the old fans something they want (not always succeeding, of course), while bringing new fans up-to-speed as quickly as possible and giving them something that THEY want, as well.

Which is something that Robotech sequels never figured out how to do.

Yeah, I did not appreciate the fact that to fully enjoy Shadow Chronicles, there was required material needed just to understand it; not only the show, but the novels and comics, which are no longer canon, as well. All in all, it and future works are a really huge investment that hasn't paid off yet.

Yeah totally.

Can't be any worse than those modern Robotech comics where they suggested that Milia actually trained in knife fighting like she planned to do that to kill Max.

Damn...REALLY? But, hey...I guess it's no sillier than saying that the Zentradi killed the Mars Base crew...

I think that bit was from the Love & War comics.

Wait how could the Zentradi kill the Mars Base crew? Wasn't the whole base dead long before that?

I think they said that "advance scouts" or something like that killed the Mars Base crew...despite the obvious problems that such an approach would take.

In my experience (and this is a generalization), Macross fans really liked the homages, but they tended to make Robotech fans angry. Weirdly.

Anyway, I think you make a good point: every Macross sequel is designed to give the old fans something they want (not always succeeding, of course), while bringing new fans up-to-speed as quickly as possible and giving them something that THEY want, as well.

Which is something that Robotech sequels never figured out how to do.

(And I'm sure the Colony Drop guys would argue that Unicorn's references are "organic" while Frontier's are "forced," or some BS like that...)

I think many of the Robotech fans get angry at it because they think Robotech created Macross, and Macross is copying Robotech, which many will try to argue, but just sounds like "Blah blah blah, blah blah. Blah blah blah I'm stupid. Blah blah."

Tenjin the Great strikes again!!

Is there any Robotech artist whose works look so good...?

There are some good Robotech artists, don't get me wrong, but nowhere near the calibur of Tenjin, or even some of the fan art that comes from Macross fans in Japan.

Try Don Yee. His work in Robotech Art 2 is excellent.

Don Yee is a good artist. He has good technique, and can draw the characters well, but I wouldn't compare him to Tenjin, Mikimoto, and others like them. Those guys are on another plain, and it's why we all know who they are. It's definitely not a put down, as I really respect Don Yee's work. Seeing his stuff is always a joy to see, but if you're going to compare artists, I think you'd have to compare commercial, paid artists, together...i.e Tommy Yune to Tenjin Hidetaka. Still no comparison, as Tenjin again is a much better artist. Using his style and technique, he's second to none. As for Mikimoto, again, no comparison. His characters are memorable, beautiful, and I don't know any Robotech artist on the planet that can compare. Not a jab at Robotech, but it's just the fact.

I forgot to ask, what the hell is the Southern Cross thing that Yui posted about? I have no f*cking clue what it's supposed to be. Is it just an old ad or something? If I don't get it, I hope at least one person does.

I forgot to ask, what the hell is the Southern Cross thing that Yui posted about? I have no f*cking clue what it's supposed to be. Is it just an old ad or something? If I don't get it, I hope at least one person does.

Oh, who cares, really?

Especially when the 25TH ANNIVERSARY SOUNDTRACK is there for the taking!

Oh, who cares, really?

Especially when the 25TH ANNIVERSARY SOUNDTRACK is there for the taking!

You're right. What was I thinking. That release will change all life on the planet FOREVARRRRR.