HG and Robotech Debates

Again, someone else did all the imagining for you...

http://www.eyrie.org/~aerianne/pics/07/sterlings/sterling.heights.cc.jpg

Although "muse" has been replaced by "Xeralia."

Looks like they at least got Komilia, Mylene and Emilia mostly right but screwed up the others. I wonder what Robotech's version of Gubaba's origin would be? Gah, they'd probably screw it up and make it talk or something.

:o:blink: As the purple monkey-thing puppet named after a snack would say, "OH. MY. GOD." So you have no frakin' clue about our nonsense yapping about Robotech, sequels and franchise and our pointless endless comparisons to its original works? I think you might wanna ed-ju-ma-kate yourself and go watch it on Youtube or Hulu.

I'm actually aware of quite a few things. Gundamn!@MAHQ has been very helpful in that regard. And really, I'm kind of a purist anyway, so that's why I went to Macross first. So here are two reasons I don't want to watch Robotech.

1. This is a show that asks you to believe that there was an SDF-2 (which was actually much bigger than the SDF-1) positioned so perfectly back-to-back with the Macross that you couldn't see it. Now The Real Ghostbusters asked me to believe a lot of crazy things in the name of weird science but nothing that ridiculous.

2. After listening to Mari Iijima's english performance as Minmay and hearing clips of RT Minmay, I'm pretty sure I'd rather listen to Shao Pai Lon looped for five hours than suffer through RT Minmay.

Now I'm not saying that RT is bad or anything, I'm just saying that it's not my cup of tea. Macross is enough for me. And obviously HG isn't doing Robotech any favors. Samuel J. Houston on a bicycle, I'm glad they don't have thier hands on any other important franchises.

I'm actually aware of quite a few things. Gundamn!@MAHQ has been very helpful in that regard. And really, I'm kind of a purist anyway, so that's why I went to Macross first. So here are two reasons I don't want to watch Robotech.

Still, you haven't experienced the sheer terror "awesomeness" that is Robotech. Listening to a podcast doesn't replace the experience of suffering "enjoying" from it yourself. I find it disconcerting that you haven't shot yourself in the foot from watchinged and yet you come to this thread. Most people here have watched and we turned out perplexed disturbed enraged sickened etc. fine.

:D

So here are two reasons I don't want to watch Robotech.

1. This is a show that asks you to believe that there was an SDF-2 (which was actually much bigger than the SDF-1) positioned so perfectly back-to-back with the Macross that you couldn't see it. Now The Real Ghostbusters asked me to believe a lot of crazy things in the name of weird science but nothing that ridiculous.

2. After listening to Mari Iijima's english performance as Minmay and hearing clips of RT Minmay, I'm pretty sure I'd rather listen to Shao Pai Lon looped for five hours than suffer through RT Minmay.

I like how you are focussing on a few individual things when I think most of us would have screamed something about the whole concept of Macross being bastardised and destroyed, not to mention "protoculture"......

Its posts like this where I believe we need a facepalm emoticon, I recommend this one face_palm_by_Draculasaurus.gif

But to answer your question its more than looks for the reason I prefer Maia, I like tough gals that can handle their own. Girls like Emeraldas, Aika Sumeragi, Priss Asagiri, and so on.

And if you think I'm a HG sycophant you don't know me that well. That doesn't mean I'm going to drop to my knees and choke on anything Big West pumps out with the kite symbol on it either. If anything I'm equally pissed at both because not one damn thing is going to change any time soon and I'm moving on.

Maia doesn't come off as a "tough gal", but more of a lifeless, contrived, "I have to be tough because that's how they made me" type character. To add, if a couple witty remarks makes Maia that tough, then you should probably watch more shows to get an idea. And yes, the character is pretty unsightly, especially when compared to many, many other characters other than Macross characters. As far as you needing a facepalm, I concur. You may need to sit and figure some things out.

Technically speaking, Sheryl is a character with a stronger resolve than Maia. Maia fights in what 2 battles, and spins her Alpha in circles, and that's supposed to equal tough? Sheryl fights in a few space battles as well, sings, and does it while being under the weather. Now, inserting my opinion here, that would make Sheryl a much more desirable character to have in a story. I don't see there being anymore debate in that, but I think the case is pretty sealed.

Wouldn't you need to compare the first 90 minutes of Sheryl to Maia? I have no doubt she would have had very little character development and you'd still be right but the comparison as is is unfair.

If only this was like the 80s and everything HG intended to do for the Shadow Saga was done in novels and/or comics to make up for that. Just avoid extremely grim, dark elements and most importantly character derailment.

Edited by Einherjar

Maia doesn't come off as a "tough gal", but more of a lifeless, contrived, "I have to be tough because that's how they made me" type character. To add, if a couple witty remarks makes Maia that tough, then you should probably watch more shows to get an idea. And yes, the character is pretty unsightly, especially when compared to many, many other characters other than Macross characters. As far as you needing a facepalm, I concur. You may need to sit and figure some things out.

Technically speaking, Sheryl is a character with a stronger resolve than Maia. Maia fights in what 2 battles, and spins her Alpha in circles, and that's supposed to equal tough? Sheryl fights in a few space battles as well, sings, and does it while being under the weather. Now, inserting my opinion here, that would make Sheryl a much more desirable character to have in a story. I don't see there being anymore debate in that, but I think the case is pretty sealed.

These comparisons are pointless.....

I like how you are focussing on a few individual things when I think most of us would have screamed something about the whole concept of Macross being bastardised and destroyed, not to mention "protoculture"......

You want I should write an essay? ;)

Incidentally I was cooking a beef roast in my slow cooker today and Protoculture is great stuff to let that baste in.

These comparisons are pointless.....

Perhaps, but I've said my piece, and the discussion has pretty much run its course. I was gonna say, since Shadow Chronicles is a "movie", perhaps comparing Maia to Sheryl in the movie would be more comparable, but at that point, it's just overkill.

My wife just happened to check the rt.com site, and saw that they are trying to get rt fans to sit at the theater and watch the documentary. I doubt this, but, is anyone going? It's on a monday, and there's football, so that's a no go for me.

My wife just happened to check the rt.com site, and saw that they are trying to get rt fans to sit at the theater and watch the documentary. I doubt this, but, is anyone going?

H@LL no. A documentary on the making of a movie is something that should be slapped on a regular DVD as a throw away extra, only RT would tout it a seperate product...

Shogakkan Co.,Ltd. The select "This is Animation" #10: Southern Cross special preview guidebook

I dislike Aki-Uchiyama's Pedophilia to little to the little girls.

I've judged his drawings are merely classified in "Hentai" or "pedophilia" not "Cute or Moe".

Aki_Uchiyama's early-sketch of Southern-Cross Trio-Girls_page 87.

Left:Dana-Sterling / Center: Marie-Crystal / Right: Nova-Satori.

Left:Jeanne Fránçaix / Center: Marie-Angel / Right: Lana Isavia.

81d121713df2876d.gif

Aki_Uchiyama's early-sketch of Southern-Cross Trio-Girls_page 88

ba5c3c9520d753b5.gif

Akira Kagami's Jeanne and VHT-2A1 Spartus - page 44

4b045bbc4b7e8f35.jpg

2eaed47d47b2b99c.jpg

post-1819-0-39619100-1317843528_thumb.jpg

Lana eats a parfait which in Japan is the universal sign of femininity.

Also she complements Jeanne on her breasts.

post-1627-0-69977400-1317993747_thumb.gif

post-1627-0-55141600-1317993765_thumb.gif

Edited by yui1107

Shogakkan Co.,Ltd. The select "This is Animation" #10: Southern Cross special preview guidebook

I've judged his drawings are merely classified in "Hentai" or "pedophilia" not "Cute or Moe".

That's the dumbest, most tasteless, thing you've ever said in any of your posts. No wonder you're into Robotech. They draw them like Marvel Comics, just the way you like it, huh?

post-1819-0-70921700-1318014206_thumb.jpg

mang, Marie is just showing the goods while she's in that hospital bathrobe

like literally for the last few episodes. she's flaunting it.

also i like how when the gang trick Lana, Bowie does the "hold your nose so you can sound more important over the phone" trick.

this show is graet

That's the dumbest, most tasteless, thing you've ever said in any of your posts. No wonder you're into Robotech. They draw them like Marvel Comics, just the way you like it, huh?

You guys do realize that Yui is Tommy Yune right?

I've judged his drawings are merely classified in "Hentai" or "pedophilia" not "Cute or Moe".[/size]

mehh, dislike what you want.

at least Japan is a place where a male can love cute things, and not be instantly labeled, at best, "Gay" or at worst, a "Pedo" for it.

us "God-Blessed Americans" could stand to learn a thing or three from you Japanese,

about love, tenderness, and appreciating the finer things in life, for starters...

You guys do realize that Yui is Tommy Yune right?

you know, i would not be half surprised, myself...

Edited by Shaorin

1. This is a show that asks you to believe that there was an SDF-2 (which was actually much bigger than the SDF-1) positioned so perfectly back-to-back with the Macross that you couldn't see it.

Sorry, but that is categorically untrue. It is never established ANYWHERE in the series that the SDF-02 was near the SDF-01 let alone behind it. During the entirety of The Masters War, the spot is ONLY referred to as The Ruins of the SDF-01/SX.83. Bowie specifically states in Triumvirate that it was the spot where the Earth's first battlefortress was destroyed. What you are talking about is the comics and the novels, not the Tv series.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil