You're looking at $15/25/30 a month for a data plan you MUST have on most phones that will tether. Then you need to add the $20-30 plan for tethering itself. You might want to look into getting a mobile broadband card from Verizon or Att. They're $35 a month with a 3GB up/down soft cap, and $10 a gig after that. If all you use it for is what you say, you'd have a hard time using it all up. Sprint has one too that is $60 a month with unlimited, BUT the unlimited part only works in "4g" areas. Otherwise it's a 5GB soft cap.

From what I've been told there are ways for using your data plan for tethering with jailbreaking(iphone)/flashing(android) but if your phone company finds out they'll nail you to the wall for it.

Wow, ok. What if I wanted to take my PC out of the equation entirely? Then the tethering wouldn't be an issue and my only issue would be how my internet capabilities would be affected by just using a phone for internet matters. Is that feasible or am I dreaming?

OOOOH. I gotcha. I thought you meant use your phone as a connection device for your computer.

Anything with 2.2/3 Android OS is really nice and supports flash. I have an HTC Incredible and really enjoy it.

The only issues I run into are some websites force a mobile version even though the phone can handle the real version. This mainly effects me on youtube. I can't view some stuff there because I've been forced into the mobile version of the site.

Otherwise, everything else works pretty nicely. I hear flashing it can fix this problem but am too much of a chicken to test it.

Then there is the iPhone. It is an awesome phone too, but doesn't support flash which I've found is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Data speeds are generally really good. Streaming hd video on youtube is never an issue running on the regular 3G Verizon network with my Incredible.

Also, if you wait another month or so, the new dual core phones are supposed to start hitting the market and are poised to smoke everything currently out. Not to mention Androids 2.5/6 OS hiding in the rafters which are both supposed to be amazing.

Wow thanks for all of the information. Sounds like I really could give my cable connection the boot, then. Asides from being forced into mobile-versions of certain things, what else am I losing if I were to use just a phone for 'net matters?

Printing could be an issue depending on what printer you have. Bluetooth and e-print are pretty much the primary ways to print off of phones easily.

I honestly can't think of any issues I've ran into other than the forced mobile versions. I use my Incredible for a lot of my banking and credit cards and can log into all of those sites without an issue. I use those as an example since security for a lot of those sites can be picky.

Edited by Chewie

In fact, here is my first post from my Incredible. MW loads like a dream.

I've got the same phone. It's funny... I'd longed for a Verizon iPhone since my friend got the original AT&T iPhone years ago, and now that Verizon's actually got it I'm using my Incredible to read up on new HTC Android phones at MWC in the hopes of finding my next phone.

A little update, I do seem to be having an AMD related issue now. Recently when I've started my computer I get the following error:

ATI Error: Couldn't load HydraDMH.dll

Doesn't seem to cause any problems though oddly enough after I hit okay. I'm running my 6950 unlocked as follows:

GPU Clock: 900MHZ

Memory Clock: 1400MHZ

Power Setting: 20%

Maybe the file's missing or corrupted? I don't know any particular solution other than reinstalling the drivers or reinstalling Hydra manager.

Speaking of which, I've been running into a particular problem ever since I put in the HD6950. I've been getting crashes (blank screen, no response--restart summary describes error as blue screen). Happens nearly all the time when the computer puts the monitor into standby mode for a prolonged period of time. Some further delving points out the Realtek LAN driver being the culprit... Which is weird since this never happened before. The HD6950 still runs like a champ by the way, no crashes in-game whatsoever or in anything else--It's just that little "standby" crash that's bugging me.

Speaking of which, I've been running into a particular problem ever since I put in the HD6950. I've been getting crashes (blank screen, no response--restart summary describes error as blue screen). Happens nearly all the time when the computer puts the monitor into standby mode for a prolonged period of time. Some further delving points out the Realtek LAN driver being the culprit... Which is weird since this never happened before. The HD6950 still runs like a champ by the way, no crashes in-game whatsoever or in anything else--It's just that little "standby" crash that's bugging me.

Did you update the LAN driver from Microsoft? If so, replace it with the manufacturer driver (or one from the motherboard maker if it's built-in).

I've got the same phone. It's funny... I'd longed for a Verizon iPhone since my friend got the original AT&T iPhone years ago, and now that Verizon's actually got it I'm using my Incredible to read up on new HTC Android phones at MWC in the hopes of finding my next phone.

Quick question should I wait to upgrade (with verizon) or wait for new phones to come out?

Mainly been looking at the Droid x. Currently have the lg voyager.

Quick question should I wait to upgrade (with verizon) or wait for new phones to come out?

A resounding wait... the Thunderbolt will be out by the end of the month, the Bionic should be out in late Q1 early Q2 of this year, and the Droid X2 by late spring early summer. All will have better specs than the Droid X, and at least the Thunderbolt and Bionic will support Verizon's budding LTE 4G network.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Voyager and I'm looking for my next piece of hardware...

A resounding wait... the Thunderbolt will be out by the end of the month, the Bionic should be out in late Q1 early Q2 of this year, and the Droid X2 by late spring early summer. All will have better specs than the Droid X, and at least the Thunderbolt and Bionic will support Verizon's budding LTE 4G network.

Ok, so I can't seem to find any information on Verizon's 4G, which leads me to believe it's not ready yet. Does anyone know if it's up or not? Verizon would have you think it's here and NOW, most are telling me maybe a year from now or so; Verizon's website sure isn't any help. If this T-bolt is "all that" and 4G is ready I'm sure I can give my cable company the big goodbye...

Edited by myk

Did you update the LAN driver from Microsoft? If so, replace it with the manufacturer driver (or one from the motherboard maker if it's built-in).

Probably have updated to MS's provided drivers, I don't remember (I think I probably did it because the PC would not connect to the internet at random times at the time--curse you Apple). Will see if Asus or Realtek has a new driver out later today, will check back sometime in future if anything changes.

Edited by shiroikaze

Probably have updated to MS's provided drivers, I don't remember (I think I probably did it because the PC would not connect to the internet at random times at the time--curse you Apple). Will see if Asus or Realtek has a new driver out later today, will check back sometime in future if anything changes.

So it's a Mac? If it is, revert to the Bootcamp drivers.

Ok, so I can't seem to find any information on Verizon's 4G, which leads me to believe it's not ready yet. Does anyone know if it's up or not? Verizon would have you think it's here and NOW, most are telling me maybe a year from now or so; Verizon's website sure isn't any help. If this T-bolt is "all that" and 4G is ready I'm sure I can give my cable company the big goodbye...

Here's info on Verizon's 4G coverage. Looks to be in about 38 areas right now, and they're promising nationwide coverage by 2013. I'm almost positive that San Diego is one of them (you're still there, right?). Their 4G network was demonstrated at around 18Mbps, and while real-world usage will vary, it should be comparable to cable.

As for the Thunderbolt, well, it's a 4.3" screen backed by 768MB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage with a 32GB MicroSD card pre-installed, powered by a 1GHz Snapdragon processor and supporting Verizon's 4G network. If I wasn't locked into my Incredible for another year, that's what I'd be getting. Expect it to be on sale by the end of the month, for around $250 on contract.

So have any clue when Verizon's upgrade discounts no longer apply?

As far as I know, it's already gone into effect.

Here's info on Verizon's 4G coverage. Looks to be in about 38 areas right now, and they're promising nationwide coverage by 2013. I'm almost positive that San Diego is one of them (you're still there, right?). Their 4G network was demonstrated at around 18Mbps, and while real-world usage will vary, it should be comparable to cable.

As for the Thunderbolt, well, it's a 4.3" screen backed by 768MB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage with a 32GB MicroSD card pre-installed, powered by a 1GHz Snapdragon processor and supporting Verizon's 4G network. If I wasn't locked into my Incredible for another year, that's what I'd be getting. Expect it to be on sale by the end of the month, for around $250 on contract.

Checked the site, but I didn't catch whether 4G was up and running yet. I still do live in San Diego so when and if it comes up, if it isn't up already, at least I'll be able to use it. At this point I'll wait for the Thunderbolt to come out and make my final decision. Rumors say that Verizon's 4G plans won't have unlimited bandwidth which could affect my decision also. If I don't go with that I'll probably go with the Droid X. I won't get either one though if I feel that my internet experience will be severely diminished by using just a smartphone instead of my desktop for internet needs. I really hope this works out-I want to ditch my cable company like no other...

Edited by myk

Checked the site, but I didn't catch whether 4G was up and running yet. I still do live in San Diego so when and if it comes up, if it isn't up already, at least I'll be able to use it. At this point I'll wait for the Thunderbolt to come out and make my final decision. Rumors say that Verizon's 4G plans won't have unlimited bandwidth which could affect my decision also. If I don't go with that I'll probably go with the Droid X. I won't get either one though if I feel that my internet experience will be severely diminished by using just a smartphone instead of my desktop for internet needs. I really hope this works out-I want to ditch my cable company like no other...

The main site had a flash map with dots on it. I checked again on my iPad and I got a mobile version with a list of cities. so, to be perfectly clear, 4g is up and running right now in San Diego.

There is some talk that Verizon is going to be limiting data allowance on both 4g and 3G plans. There is also talk that Verizon may charge a premium for 4g (right now thery're both "smartphone data plan"). Thing is, if you get an unlimited 4g plan now, then Verizon stops offering unlimited 4g or raises the price, they're still contractually obligated to give you unlimited 4g at whatever price it was when you signed up (currently $29.99/month).

Pass on the Droid X. It's not a bad phone, but it's on the way out.

I asked a rep and they said I should use my upgrade soon. no real date. also the $15 data plan was/ is being phased out.

I've been due for an upgrade for over a year. Even if you don't use one now there'll be another along shortly. So what phone are you thinking about?

So it's a Mac? If it is, revert to the Bootcamp drivers.

No no, I'm running Windows 7. It's just that this little piece of service running in the background used to interfere with my computer's ability to connect to the internet. It's called Bonjour and it's created by Apple. If you install Itunes and such, it gets installed along with it too. I also believe it's bundled with some of Adobe products too...

Edited by shiroikaze

No no, I'm running Windows 7. It's just that this little piece of service running in the background used to interfere with my computer's ability to connect to the internet. It's called Bonjour and it's created by Apple. If you install Itunes and such, it gets installed along with it too. I also believe it's bundled with some of Adobe products too...

You can disable it in Services. I do all the time, but only because I don't use device sharing. :)

As far as I know, it's already gone into effect.

I've been due for an upgrade for over a year. Even if you don't use one now there'll be another along shortly.

I asked a Verizon store rep. He told me it has gone into effect but if you have an upgrade discount now it will still apply. The second you use it you no longer get that upgrade discount.

The rep also said he would wait on the 4g phones until the second generation of 4g phones come out.

I asked a Verizon store rep. He told me it has gone into effect but if you have an upgrade discount now it will still apply. The second you use it you no longer get that upgrade discount.

The rep also said he would wait on the 4g phones until the second generation of 4g phones come out.

Yeah I was thinking about that myself. I always advise people to stay away from the 1st generation of anything. What I'm thinking about is price on their 4G plans though. Someone told me that these plans would be VERY expensive, and suggested that early adopters would get the best deals because, much like the last 10 years, cell phone plans will only continue to rise...

I just noticed that this forum has integrated twitter into the post reply. How long was that there?

Also, "Chrome May Lose Its URL Bar"

An exaggeration really, it's still there, but it looks like you'll be able to enter the URLs (and apps) into the tabs themselves, which is kinda neat. Not to mention, you can switch between the old layout and the new one.

Ps. I still have that crashing problem, maybe it is the AMD video drivers... probably will install tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord it's good to see you guys. I've been without a pc for like, two days, lol. Anyway I was streaming an episode of Southland but I paused it and forgot about it. When I came back to the machine I saw that it was stuck trying to reboot itself, but it kept blue-screening and crashing right after the "Windows XP" logo screen. It then proceeded to keep trying to reboot itself. I tried booting in safe mode, reinstalling my boot file, reinstalling my RAM, GPU, etc. Friends in the know told me that possibly my 'mobo or CPU was fried. I tried everything again once the machine had cooled down just in case it was a heat issue but no dice. On that note I reinstalled/re-pasted my CPU and everything else, put it back together and now here I am?!

I'm hoping that some of you guys can give me some sort of idea what might've gone wrong, or what can I look for if and when something like this happens again. What exactly was the system doing blue screening, crashing and then trying to reboot itself? Jesus without a pc I didn't know what to do, ha ha. Any input will be appreciated guys-thanks in advance!

Specs in case it matters:

> Mainboard : Asus P5N-D

> Chipset : nVidia nForce 750i SLI SPP

> Processor : Intel Pentium Dual-Core @ 2933 MHz

> Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

> Hard Disk : WD (320 GB)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2009)

Edited by myk

I'm hoping that some of you guys can give me some sort of idea what might've gone wrong, or what can I look for if and when something like this happens again. What exactly was the system doing blue screening, crashing and then trying to reboot itself? Jesus without a pc I didn't know what to do, ha ha. Any input will be appreciated guys-thanks in advance!

Bad memory? Run Memtest.

Bad driver?

Good Lord it's good to see you guys. I've been without a pc for like, two days, lol. Anyway I was streaming an episode of Southland but I paused it and forgot about it. When I came back to the machine I saw that it was stuck trying to reboot itself, but it kept blue-screening and crashing right after the "Windows XP" logo screen. It then proceeded to keep trying to reboot itself. I tried booting in safe mode, reinstalling my boot file, reinstalling my RAM, GPU, etc. Friends in the know told me that possibly my 'mobo or CPU was fried. I tried everything again once the machine had cooled down just in case it was a heat issue but no dice. On that note I reinstalled/re-pasted my CPU and everything else, put it back together and now here I am?!

Specs in case it matters:

> Mainboard : Asus P5N-D

> Chipset : nVidia nForce 750i SLI SPP

> Processor : Intel Pentium Dual-Core @ 2933 MHz

> Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

> Hard Disk : WD (320 GB)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2009)

What did the blue screen say? Was there a STOP error code?

What did the blue screen say? Was there a STOP error code?

It was too fast-I couldn't read it. The blue screen flashed and then it just went back to trying to reboot itself. Someone had suggested testing the RAM but I wasn't able to considering the system wouldn't boot up...

It was too fast-I couldn't read it. The blue screen flashed and then it just went back to trying to reboot itself. Someone had suggested testing the RAM but I wasn't able to considering the system wouldn't boot up...

Look for a little-used key on your keyboard that says "Pause", "Break," or some combination thereof. Tap it as the blue-screen comes up. Or, if you can get into the BIOS, you can usually disable automatic rebooting.