Bandai 1/100 VF-2SS Valkyrie II Super Armed Pack worth it?

GU-11

Ever since first seeing a pic of the VF-2SS on a Macross magazine, I've fallen in love with that design, and I've been craving for a transformable fig of it.

Just stumbled on this in HLJ.

I've no idea how big or small the assembled fig is, but I'm guessing it should be about the size of a Hi-metal VF-1. Anyone know?

Also, if anyone has ever built the kit:

Do the parts fit well together?

How's the quality of the plastic?

How are the overall proportions and articulation?

Thanks for any info.

Keep in mind this is a kit that is well over 15 years old, so this kit needs alot of TLC OOB. But its a must buy for any VF-2SS fan.

Its a well articulated partsformer and stands about 5 inches tall when complete and you cannot remove the super armor. Parts fit well enough together and the plastic is nice and rugged. With enough modding and patience, i'm sure one can achieve a very nicely executed kit with removable armor and better proportions.

Price at HLJ isn't too bad, but I got mine off ebay for $28 shipped about 4 months ago.

damn i thought this was about a toy too. would have been cool. it wouldn't be that hard for bandai to make a hi metal toy of one. this should be in the model section.

Thanks for the info, Nightingale!

And sorry about dredging up any false hope on the VF-2SS, guys; as a fellow fan, I know how that feels. In any case, the model kit section is mostly about MW-ers showcasing their builds and asking for tips, so I thought I'd ask for opinions in the toy section.

Until Yamato or Hasegawa make an improved/ultra detail Toy or Model kit for the VF-2SS, the old Bandai 1/100 isn't to bad. Its simple, easy to build, rather sturdy and unlike the recent VF-25 kits, this model doesn't have six million parts and many that pop off or difficulty staying in place. Battroid is super solid, Gerwalk is a snap, Fighter is the only mode that is less than great between the cockpit and how the arms rest. But for an older kit and the price its works well. Its not perfect transformation, but you can swap out the parts and transform it quicker than a PT VF-25!!

post-6180-129091332442_thumb.jpg

It's simple if it's anything about a Macross model kit (which this is), it belongs in the model forum.

Graham

Roger that, Graham.

This kit is decent, fighter mode looks somewhat respectable, but battroid is a little bit chubby. This site shows all 3 modes:

Link

I'm not a huge fan of the huge turret SAP pack, so my preference would have been a clean VF-2SS, for which conversion kits apparently do exist.

Thanks for the link, man. Yeah, the legs in battroid mode ARE rather chubby, and the SAP pack overwhelms the fighter mode. Oh well, it's either this or nothing at all, so I'll probably be picking it up anyway.

Until Yamato or Hasegawa make an improved/ultra detail Toy or Model kit for the VF-2SS, the old Bandai 1/100 isn't to bad. Its simple, easy to build, rather sturdy and unlike the recent VF-25 kits, this model doesn't have six million parts and many that pop off or difficulty staying in place. Battroid is super solid, Gerwalk is a snap, Fighter is the only mode that is less than great between the cockpit and how the arms rest. But for an older kit and the price its works well. Its not perfect transformation, but you can swap out the parts and transform it quicker than a PT VF-25!!

Thanks, 505. Three out of three positive votes for the mode kit; I guess I'll buy it, then.

BTW, can anyone tell me where I can get a decent VF-2SS fighter mode kit? I've seen some awesome VF-2SS fighter builds in the forum but some of the threads are really old and basically dead, so I don't think I can get an answer from the builders.

Thanks again, everyone!

If nothing else it comes with a poster of Ishtar :)

You can always try and track down a B-Club detail set to jazz it up: post-3605-129091503369_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Gunny. BTW, nice collection of kits. The VF-4G particularly caught my eye.

Edited by GU-11

I can say I'm looking forward to building the one I've got stored away, after seeing a couple of Japanese sites with excellent buildups. It's a nice machine, for all the bad rap MacII seems to get.

I've got a fair population of 1/100 Macross plamo from the 80s, and Toynami's 1/100 Valk and Regult toys. So this fits nicely in the fleet.

And the Ishtar poster is worth a few bucks alone... :p

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26951&st=0

Not the best on the street but a decent job of making a toy of a model considering this is what a future VF-100 VF-2SS would be like.

Without the resin conversion kit you can buy two plastic models and some sheet plastic to make one VF-2SS with removable SAP.

I too have always loved the Vf-2SS design. But I can't say that I like this kit all that much. I have built 2 and they are clunky at best and way, way too small. The packs look great but the dimensions are way off I think. But then again, it is only $28: unsure:

Back in the day these were so rare that I paid $75 for one.

Well good luck!