Question about the movie-in-a-movie theory

mister_e

My guess is because when they filmed DYRL?, that was the version they had access to. Trying to refit it with a couple old sea-going ships just to make a movie would have been very expensive and maybe even impossible (doubt many, if any, survived the bombardment and the intervening years).

Well, that explains the ARMD platforms, which by the TV continuity were supposed to be added around the time that SW1 began, but were not added until afterwards due to the intervention of the war.

However, what about the entirely different color scheme, and main cannon design?.

Bottom line is that all the Macross sequels seem to follow the DYRL story and timeline, which adds even more to the great debate that is the movie within a movie, vs stand alone thing.

Egypt and Israel i'm afraid.

dhorse.gif

Please forgive the ignorance, but if DYRL is supposed to be a movie made to "re-tell" SW1, then how come when the Macross (SDF-1) appears in Mac+ it is the DYRL version and not the TV version?

After Kamjin's attack in the finale of the first TV series, the SDF-1 was repaired, resulting in the changed appearance and the ARMD carriers that you see in FB 2012, Mac+, and DYRL.

Please forgive the ignorance, but if DYRL is supposed to be a movie made to "re-tell" SW1, then how come when the Macross (SDF-1) appears in Mac+ it is the DYRL version and not the TV version?

Read this thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...f=2&t=1508&st=0

Or the Summary here:

DYRL was an independant thought, a retelling of SW1, then after 2012 Flashback Macross in its entirety was never to be touched again acording to Kawamori.

10 years later the "movie within a movie" thing was made up just so the producers of M7 could use some of the stuff in it, and make it the focal point of a few episodes.

Other than one particular pole-smoker on this board the above is the consensus.

Well, that explains the ARMD platforms, which by the TV continuity were supposed to be added around the time that SW1 began, but were not added until afterwards due to the intervention of the war.

However, what about the entirely different color scheme, and main cannon design?.

Bottom line is that all the Macross sequels seem to follow the DYRL story and timeline, which adds even more to the great debate that is the movie within a movie, vs stand alone thing.

Egypt and Israel i'm afraid.

dhorse.gif

Flash Back 2012 established the newer design, coloring, & overal rebuilt larger size of the Macross. As has been said, after Kamujin's attack, the Macross was put under a massive reconstruction/refit effort. The ship seen in DYRL is the Macross 20 years after it was refitted. Exedor seen in DYRL reflect's his physical upgrade to increase memory storage & re-macronization.

DYRL was filmed using contemporary (2031 era) ships, people, flight suits, VF-1's, etc. As such, DYRL reflects Macross TV's 2031 technology & people. The continuity continue's through Plus (2040) & 7 (2045-2047), all evolving from the TV series & FB 2012 (2009-20012).

I don't think so. Egan Loo says that Kawamori and Masahiro Chiba use the TV continuity as the background for all the Macross projects. http://macross.anime.net/story/encyclopedi...roduction_notes

Not sure about the color scheme/main cannon issue. If you're saying that they're different from M+, that's an interesting point. But in any case, can't we just assume (for the sake of the Movie in a Movie retcon) that the appearance of the Macross in DYRL simply reflects its appearance at the time the movie was filmed? M+ occurs in 2040, while the movie-within-a-movie was made in 2031.

Well, I was trying to make the point that there are those here (ME) that don't buy the movie in a movie shtick. and the dhorse.gif was just my way of pointing out the futility of trying to prove otherwise to those of us that don't buy the movie within a movie shtick.

Then don't. And yes, visually, Macross Plus and 7 look more like DYRL... but for story purposes, they go with the continuity of the TV series. No Protoculture city on earth, no translating alien love songs. Instead, pineapple salad and blowing up Ontario.

Well, I was trying to make the point that there are those here (ME) that don't buy the movie in a movie shtick.

Then don't. It's 99% fanboy fabricated nonsense based on throwaway lines in M7 anyway.

lol