After 5 or so years sitting in my closet....

e_jacob77

HI all,

Was this film a remake of the '88 version? An is Ex Machina worthwhile? Loved it by the way, :) .....

No it is not a remake, it is another take on the Appleseed Manga though.

Ex Machina is worthwhile, I like how the cleaned up the character animation (I'm not one of those that hated the 2004 Appleseed animation though, although it was a little jarring). I'm not a fan of John Woo style action sequences - which ex-machina has a LOT of, but I still liked it and would recommend it (unless you really hate Woo style...)

Nah, the new Appleseed is sort of the prequel to the '88 anime (Briarios' head is designed the same way in both works). It basicly tells the story of how Dunan joined the magaopolos' police force. I have yet to see Ex Machina, though.

I have to say that I kinda liked the '88 version better, though (even with the Engrish mistakes in the dialouge (Bliarios); I liked the guy who did Briarios' voice in that work better). It was the first anime I saw that would've gotten an "R" Rating from the MPAA.

Nah, the new Appleseed is sort of the prequel to the '88 anime (Briarios' head is designed the same way in both works). It basicly tells the story of how Dunan joined the magaopolos' police force.

Yes, the '80s Appleseed OVA is based (more or less) on Appleseed Book Two and the newer movie is based (also more or less) on Book One, but there are too many divergences from the original story in the two films to consider one a "prequel" to the other. For all intents and purposes there's no connection between the OVA and the movie, other than source material.