INCEPTION - July 2010

Cobb returned to the real world at the end.

Here’s why.

In the dream world he always wore his wedding ring. In the real world he didn’t.

The kids at the end are slightly older. (Just check the casting credits and you’ll see two different pairs of actors were used for the kids.)

Also the kids at the end were wearing different shoes, and clothes. Don’t let the lighting mislead you.

Remember when he span the Totem earlier in the film. It wobbled several times before it fell. At the end its start wobbling before the cut to credits.

Also, never once did Cobb state that the spinning top was his Totem. Just like we’ll never know the Totems of the other members aside from Arthur and the architect. It’s very well possible we were meant to try figure out Cobb’s totem. There are many theories out there, from his wife to the wedding ring being some form of an inversed totem. Though I feel he never had totem, and he just span it to not forget his wife is dead. As in the dream, she did hide her Totem.

Either way, he returned to the real world. IMO

Guess will have to wait for the DVD and Blu-Ray to get more info from Nolan.

nah!

It was Eames's dream. Fischer was constantly the mark that filled (with his secret and projections) each of their dreams but the architect constructs the world in the assigned dreamer's dream.

Remember, it was Yusuf that drank a glass of water before they fell asleep in the airplane, that's why it was raining. He's the one wearing the headphones so he can hear the kick signal.

In Yusuf's dream, arthur gets the the headphones in the van... Yusuf is the only one awake to drive the van.

In Arthur's Dream, Eames gets the headphones. Arthur stays awake to collect the crew.

In Eames Dream... Saito and Ficher die to enter limbo. Cobb and Ariadne follow. Eames stays awake to detonate the charges. Was there headphones? What was the signal for the kick? Must go see again.

I really have to see this film again. I seemed to miss so many of these details!

A very interesting analysis, but I don't think it works further than the "striking similarities" that Nolan draws to the film making process. If you follow the analogies, what would be the significance of "The Money"(Saito) being shot and dieing, to name just one example.

"Blade Runner" was described as a layer cake by Scott, with lots of different aspects worked in instead of one key "solution"; the same description would fit "Inception", too.

-

I don't remember if it was explained clearly in the movie, but how do you get out of the Limbo? If Saito and Cobb don't get a kick, do they have to commit suicide? Does Saito just shoot Cobb and propels him into his dream again, where he sees the kids?

I enjoyed the movie and really appreciate reading all your posts. Cool threads!

What if Mall went back to reality after jumping from the window.

Since then she continuously intrudes Cobb's dreams to pull him out.

When he needs to choose between her or his fantasy, he lost his last grip on reality and fall deeper, into a dream where he get back their childrens.

Edited by CAIN MKII

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it in theaters and it was still packed.

will give thoughts later

Not surprised, and I am sure that this film is doing a lot of business for repeat viewings. Going to see it for the 5th time this weekend, not because I need to clarify things anymore just because I consider it to be one of the best films to be experienced in the cinema in the last 20 years.

Taksraven

Not surprised, and I am sure that this film is doing a lot of business for repeat viewings. Going to see it for the 5th time this weekend, not because I need to clarify things anymore just because I consider it to be one of the best films to be experienced in the cinema in the last 20 years.

Taksraven

I think need to see it again to clarify everything. Too many theories on what actually happened.

And the ost is awesome.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I think need to see it again to clarify everything. Too many theories on what actually happened.

And the ost is awesome.

Words simply can't describe how good the OST is. Awesome is pretty close though.

i won't watch it a 2nd time in the cinemas, blueray high on the agenda, that way i'll be fresh to see it again.

Fair enough, but its a brilliant cinema experience. BR will never cut the mustard by comparison.....

Edited by taksraven

• 4 weeks later...

Its possible, but why do the children keep appearing in the dream if they are in the real world too? Since Cobb builds so much stuff from his memories, I fail to see why Caine's character should be immune from that. At the end of the day, I think that the ending is the same as 2001. In other words, you interpret it however you want......

Still a great bloody movie though, going to see it in the cinema for the last time next week before it closes.

Its not the greatest film of all time, its not a film without flaws, but at the end of the day it is possibly the movie that I have enjoyed the most for the last 10 or fifteen years.

An outstanding film.

Taksraven

The children at the end of the film are actually a few years older, it actually says so in the credits thus it is real life.

Yeah, but they act out exactly the same sequence (squatting down, then looking up) that he has been seeing in his dream all along, indicating an extension of the dream.

Taksraven

When can we expect a blueray of this baby?

I reckon that they will be pushing to get this out by Christmas. Scott Pilgrim is coming out in November and it had a cinema release after Inception. (Scott Pilgrim also did much worse at the box office too)

Totally understand though, I will be getting a blu-ray player and speaker system just to enjoy this film at home....

Taksraven

Yeah, but they act out exactly the same sequence (squatting down, then looking up) that he has been seeing in his dream all along, indicating an extension of the dream.

Taksraven

Hey maybe they like to squat I don't know. It probably like that to throw people off into believing it is a dream but he did finally wake up and make it home. Another clue he is not wearing his wedding ring, which he only wears in the dreamscape.

Hey maybe they like to squat I don't know. It probably like that to throw people off into believing it is a dream but he did finally wake up and make it home. Another clue he is not wearing his wedding ring, which he only wears in the dreamscape.

Thats possible too. I also think that the point of the ending is that he doesn't seem to really care if he is in a reality or a dream anymore, hence no further concern about the spinning top. He is just happy to be with his kids in whatever existence.

Taksraven

I had forgotten this thread...

Saw Inception about 2 weeks ago: after having heard very different opinions from many people, I decided to check out by myself

It's a very good movie and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I wouldn't put it in the "best films ever" list but still in the "very worth to watch films" list anyway: not only it is smart and substantial, but it is entertaining aswell... Hat down

Still, I don't buy the "it was all a dream" ending: such conclusion is one of the cardinal sins of litterature, and Nolan is too much of a good writer to fall in such easiness; but he sure likes to put the audience onto the wrong tracks, which makes people think and consider several options before building their own interpretation: it's an excellent way to make the public participate into the movie, and the sign of a great director

DVD onto the "to buy" list as soon as it is released

• 2 weeks later...

Taksraven

They're actually wearing different shoes and clothes... Dejavu could be something that Nolan wanted to throw in here at the end. You know like when you dream something, but then experience it when awake...

Also there's the ring factor, and never once does he mention the spintop is his totem... :p

Looks like Region 1/A will be getting it Dec. 7:

http://www.amazon.com/Inception-Blu-ray-Leonardo-DiCaprio/dp/B002ZG981E

Well, I predicted that it would be out by Xmas. Its still doing good business in the cinema's. It has passed the $800 million dollar mark internationally and is the 26th highest grossing film at the box-office.

Its still running here in Sydney (Sydney is kinda in the film, yay) and by the time it finishes will have been running for nearly three months.

What I would like to know though is how much business this film has done through people seeing it multiple times. I suspect that it could hold some sort of record in that area as I think that a lot of people who have liked it have seen it at least twice. (and I have seen it *many* more times than that)

Taksraven

Also there's the ring factor, and never once does he mention the spintop is his totem... :p

Maybe, but bloody hell, its certainly implied.

It is implied, but it's stated that a totem must be yours, your own item. The top was his wife's and it was her idea of using totems. He never said what his totem was, he may just like using it to remember his wife but never once did he say it was his. We never actually learn what his totem is.